Us patient dies while others walk on.... Watch

*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
This is the news report, skip to 2.30, a man is hit by a car and left in the middle of the road, also another is dumped out of wheelchair to be searched. These things happen and i don't know why, sometimes there is no explanation but i just thought that the hospital being a psychiatric one made it a bit more feasible. I've been to one before (visiting) and i'm sure if you've ever spent anytime there you start ignoring people screaming and lying on the floor like that. The doctors shouldn't have, but i don't think it would have happened in a normal hospital.
I'm a nurse, so yes I've spent a fair amount of time in all kinds of hospitals, including psychiatric hospitals. But no, I would say I've never seen anyone ignored when they've fallen on the floor. Occasionally, some patients are left on the floor if they are happiest/safest there, but we would always check to see whether they had fallen/were injured/were in any discomfort, and would do everything possible to make them comfortable if leaving them on the floor was really deemed to be the wisest choice. I'd be absolutely sickened if I saw anyone treating a patient with indifference in any of the hospitals I work at, and I would report it without a second thought. Fortunately I've never seen anyone being treated that way - to be honest I don't really understand how any health professional, or even any other member of the public, could show a complete lack of care and interest in someone else's well-being.
tetters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
damn thats bad, that guy in the orange (i think) shirt just walked up to it and thought 'hmm lets not get involved' and just turned back - what the hell?
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I saw this on TV a few days ago and I am outraged. However, I'm not shocked. I once had to wait over 12 hours in the emergency room before I finally spoke with a doctor. This poor lady had been waiting for over 24 hours and no one came to her. A doctor saw her on the floor and didn't do anything about it either. Thank god they fired him.
traxhill
Report 10 years ago
how american health system is working? from your monthly salary they don't take from you a tax for health care? if "yes", why the system isn't working?
*Fool'sGold*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's so disturbing.

I don't understand how she died from a mental breakdown though? Or was it a heart attack or something?

That is so weird though, people just looked at her and walked away.

The only thing I can possibly think of that could be an excuse, is that they thought she was having some sort of psychotic episode and decided to lie on the ground. Unlikely though.
Edvics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abc101)
Did anybody see about a month ago the video of an old man being run over BY TWO CARS in an American street? He was walking across the street, and one car, going way too fast and on the wrong side of the road, hit him. The driver didn't bother to stop, and seconds after (I think they were in a race/car chase), another car, on the wrong side of the road and speeding, again, like mad, went straight into him. It was awful, he was thrown up in the air. And not one person came over. It was disgusting, people were just walking by on the pavement, not even looking, going about their business, leaving this poor old man, who they'd just seen be hit twice, lying in the middle of the road.
The hit and run happened in a ghetto section of Hartford where there are a lot of drug deals. The news article reported that there were eight 911 calls within a minute of the accident happening. People gathered around him in the street after the accident as well I think a minute or so later, and cops were on the scene in less than 3 minutes.
zeropoint
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Noctilux)
You should read my post lest you assume that inefficiency is the NHS's only weakness...
Obviously not, but I think more people die due to hospital inefficiency, than to this sort of heartless negligence. I don't think that this sort of thing is a frequent occurrence, whereas time and money wasted on hospital bureaucracy, is.
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and Americans say cuban hospitals are bad....

to the Brits:

The NHS is not in as bad a situation as the media have you believe, they "sex up" stories in order to sell, that is how it works. The NHS has served this country well for 60 years, and i hope it will carry on doing so for a long time. This case in America illustrates why we MUST ignore the calls by many people (especially on these forums) that Privatiseation is what is needed to solve our problems. Privatisation would cause the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of British Citizens. What the NHS needs is reform, and greater efficiency, and not media sensationalism. The NHS is a service many of us take for granted, it has been around for a long time now, and many of use, especially our generation do not know any other way, which is why we dont remember how it was before our NHS. We are fortunate that in Britain, we do have access to free healthcare, and that no matter what our ecconomic situation is, we will be treated with out prejudice. We can see from America, what happens when privatisation, and large corporations take over the healthcare system. I know I would never wish to live under a system such as the American model, or Inflict that kind of Evil on to others. That is why we should remember, the NHS is ours, it belongs to us the people of the UK, and once we give it away to private health corporations, we will never have it back, and the services we take for granted wll be gone Forever.
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what...the ****

thats unbelievable
asdasta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The thing about US medics checking your wallet before treating heart attacks earlier is absolute bull. In the event of a heart attack, you will be treated immediately - it's more with "non-essentials" and things that aren't life-threatening (such as re-attaching missing limbs, XD).
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lady Leviathan)
Hmmm, the title of this was confusing. Anyways...

Aye. I think people use "It's America" as an attempt to explain a lot of things.

As you stated, US hospitals are legally obligated to treat anybody that seriously ill, even if they cannot pay it. The local hospital in my town donated $200,000 of services to care for an illegal immigrant who hadn't been in the country more than 90 days -- because he had a particularly bad mutation of both meningitis and tuberculosis. In the end, it becomes more of a humanitarian than a money issue. Of course that can spark the whole immigration debate, but hospitals here will clearly aid those who are in dire need of treatment. Even if one isn't in dire need of treatment, some hospitals donate their services for free to aid patients.

I've heard about people getting completely screwed over on the NHS. One paticular instance -- an elderly man in a hospital, not on private healthcare, being mistreated. The people in the next room had private insurance and were treated with the utmost care. Neglect happens everywhere. I'm not going to go and say "Ah, the NHS" to explain it -- just saying that neglect and abuse happen everywhere, regardless of location.

Nursing homes and mental hospitals seem to be the places where these cases of neglect happen the most. "In America" just doesn't cut it as an excuse, as neglect happens everywhere. So does maltreatment. It was only a few months ago that I read about a nursing home worker who voluntarily let his patients die. I've heard about this sort of thing happening in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, where ever.

I think it's safe to say that this is a rare occurrence. It's dreadful that this happened, but it's not typical of the American health care system. Anybody in dire need of treatment will not be turned away from a hospital. Sure, having no insurance or poor insurance will lead to financial troubles down the road, but you aren't asked to pay up front and you aren't forced to show proof that you can pay anything.
Excellent post.
veggie4life
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
similar case was kitty genovives she was attacked by a man and called out for help many people in a tower block near by stuck their heads out and saw what was going on but none went to help. It's a phennomen called diffusion of responsibility where people feel less responsibility to act as they just justify not gelping by thinking someone else out of the people waching will help.
Hisoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
God that's horrible.
Hello_Kitty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What the hell, that is shocking!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed