Eu Army - Do We Need One? Watch

Lothar Warlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
You could argue that they're relatively ineffective though
Ditto. An army can go on the offense; but UN peace keepers can only defend. It is a violation of their conduct if they attack. (Of course, excluding hostility in defence).
Alasdair
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
I would agree with that.

The forces have many people from the Commonwealth. What we should do is join all the Commonwealth militaries together (with the exception of some bigger ones such as Canada, India etc).

We could standardise pay, equipment and command structure.

I'm not saying to dispand the Fiji Defence Force or whatever, but to integrate all units.

For example if we deployed "12th Mechanised", instead of all UK units, it would be 2 uk infantry units and one Commonwealth.

Any ideas (sorry to hi-jack topic)
How ridiculously regressive.
StarsAreFixed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This was one of the reasons expressed by the No to Lisbon side, that Ireland's neutrality would be compromised and it could be bullied into joining a common army. Of course, this was taken to the max with statements such as 'Your children will be conscipted!' and then taken the piss out of by 'All children over 10 to be conscripted'.
flugelr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alasdair)
How ridiculously regressive.
I don't suppose you could get off your soapbox and explain?
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
I don't suppose you could get off your soapbox and explain?
your wanting to go back to empire....

Persoanlly im anti imperialism, but i think a federal European state is a good idea. Im not saying removing all autonomy from member states, but having a system whereby the Central govt makes laws dealling with the whole union, and member states have the devolved powers to create laws on local issues.... Like now but with more power to Europe and an elected president etc. Basically to try and combat the national self interst that prevents many EU laws from being passed or enforced etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise