Introductions Watch

faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
Do you know how many people (including moi) would dream to be in your position? :woo:
You don't have to post in every thread about it though; I try to leave at least a week gap before ever chip-on-shoulder posting I make! :p:
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
Do you know how many people (including moi) would dream to be in your position? :woo:
Why are you going out of your way to irritate me again? I know that I'm lucky to be going there and I'm glad that I got in - that it not my point. Shockingly, it is entirely possible to be happy about some aspects of something and not others, aspects which I have every right to complain about.

Please come back to this thread when you actually have an offer and therefore can relate to what is being discussed. Until then, stick to hijacking threads that actually have some relevance to your obsessive worrying.
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry!!!!
Quistis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sometimes, I really hate that you can only neg the same person once every 28 days
~LEAH~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find it annoying that the fact I'm going to Oxford has now rendered any complaint or disatisfaction with anything as me being selfish and ungrateful. It seems to dominate conversations that if I'm comforting a friend if they're upset and I try to empathise or even just tell them that I'm feeling a bit down they say "How can you feel the same? You're going to Oxford." And therefore the conversation is over. I think the sentiment that neccessarily benevolent expressed sums it up. Its just a university and it doesn't make you selfish to feel down at it completely dominating your relationships and distancing you from people.
amar09
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I totally understand your guys point of view. But you also have to remember that in many people's eyes, being accepted to arguably the best higher education institution in the world means that you have no right to complain. I am not agreeing with these people, but it is a point you have to remember when talking to people who would give anything to be in your position, and cannot see it from your point of view.
*Katie*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amar09)
I totally understand your guys point of view. But you also have to remember that in many people's eyes, being accepted to arguably the best higher education institution in the world means that you have no right to complain. I am not agreeing with these people, but it is a point you have to remember when talking to people who would give anything to be in your position, and cannot see it from your point of view.
:rolleyes: Please. Who are these people to decide what we have a 'right' to do? I'll bet to you it's acceptable for fat girls to tell a size 10 girl that she can't dislike any aspect of her body because she's 'thin'. I personally neither down or 'up' play my university. If I'm asked, I answer and then move the conversation on. If people want to know what it's like I'll just say it's uni. It's really not a big deal.

OP, just tell your friends not to tell other people. It's that simple. If it makes you uncomfortable and they're your friends, then they'll understand.

Anyone get really annoyed when people ask "How's Cambridge?" For some reason this drives me CRAZY. If you're going to bother to make my uni a huge deal, at least you can get the uni right. I always automatically correct them, which seems so stuck up BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. I think I may be alone with this one. :o:
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Katie*)
:rolleyes: Please. Who are these people to decide what we have a 'right' to do? I'll bet to you it's acceptable for fat girls to tell a size 10 girl that she can't dislike any aspect of her body because she's 'thin'. I personally neither down or 'up' play my university. If I'm asked, I answer and then move the conversation on. If people want to know what it's like I'll just say it's uni. It's really not a big deal.

OP, just tell your friends not to tell other people. It's that simple. If it makes you uncomfortable and they're your friends, then they'll understand.

Anyone get really annoyed when people ask "How's Cambridge?" For some reason this drives me CRAZY. If you're going to bother to make my uni a huge deal, at least you can get the uni right. I always automatically correct them, which seems so stuck up BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. I think I may be alone with this one. :o:
You're not the only one - it really pisses me off when people get the wrong one.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Katie*)
The head of sixth form, who helped me through all the admin side of applying and was really really supportive, asks every time I see him "So, how's uni? It's natural sciences at Cambridge, isn't it? Fitzwilliam?"
sporkonator
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
You're not the only one - it really pisses me off when people get the wrong one.
I don't want to get too far away from the matter at hand, but this illustrates how frustrating that is for me:

http://homepage.mac.com/nilstrom/Lea...efinals34.html

I probably shouldn't mind very much, but this really gets to me - and not just because I look so disheveled in the photo.
And the comment about Cambridge being Roger Bannister's alma mater just adds insult to injury. Shame.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oooh, shoddy journalism. But then, even The Times get it wrong
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
The head of sixth form, who helped me through all the admin side of applying and was really really supportive, asks every time I see him "So, how's uni? It's natural sciences at Cambridge, isn't it? Fitzwilliam?"
My old form tutor knows not to **** up on these things now... after I got back from interviews and had a bit of a go at him for making a mistake in my reference. A mistake that led to a question in the interview... :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed