I feel like **** if I don't go to the gym every other day! Watch

Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rozzo89)
Yup..although I listed just a few...
I'll say that what you're doing isn't the most effective way to train, so if you're serious about getting bigger look into compound lifts et cetera.

However if you just generally want to get fit and feel good after your workouts, go right ahead with what you're doing!
Rozzo89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
I'll say that what you're doing isn't the most effective way to train, so if you're serious about getting bigger look into compound lifts et cetera.

However if you just generally want to get fit and feel good after your workouts, go right ahead with what you're doing!
Well, Ive been doing that and its been working for me, thanks... :s

I said, I don't want to get bogger, i am big enough shoulder wise, just want to tone any lose flab lol
Neo-Classicist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
:/

This doesn't apply to those of us who aren't accountable if we damage the floor dumping weights, right?
I presume 'Herr Stamper' wishes the spotter to help maintain form, as opposed to helping one complete the set.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The main form problem I would expect is knees drifting inwards. I wouldn't like to have a spotter helping me with this. Not a male one at any rate, in case someone walks in on my set of 20 rep squats.
Neo-Classicist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm...I suppose that would be alleviated if you have a spotter helping you complete the rep; which sort of negates what I wrote in the last post.

If she's got her hands beneath your armpits/on your back, she can gradually aid you, taking some of the load herself. Should be able to keep good form that way.

In essence, what I'm saying is that the spotter is there to help complete the set and, provided she does her task correctly, will help maintain your form throughout the exercise.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Neo-Classicist)
Hmm...I suppose that would be alleviated if you have a spotter helping you complete the rep; which sort of negates what I wrote in the last post.

If she's got her hands beneath your armpits/on your back, she can gradually aid you, taking some of the load herself. Should be able to keep good form that way.

In essence, what I'm saying is that the spotter is there to help complete the set and, provided she does her task correctly, will help maintain your form throughout the exercise.
Kinda defeats the point of doing it doesn't it? Its not 15 reps then 5 assisted reps is it. If you need a spotter to help in a rep/complete the set then that says to me you've got to much weight on your back, are weak willed or simply haven't prepared well enough. If you can't hack it then there are plenty of other effective training methods.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If any rep is assisted in a set it shouldnt count. If someones taking some of the load, then your not lifting it. So why is it on the bar?

A spotter should be there purely for safety reasons.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
If any rep is assisted in a set it shouldnt count. If someones taking some of the load, then your not lifting it. So why is it on the bar?

Thats pretty much my stance on it when disussing 20 rep squats although fair enough if training to failure is part of your regime.

Imo a spotter when 20 rep squatting is for piece of mind and when you have that little bit of security and confidence it drives you on to completing 20reps unassisted as it should be done.
meathead1987
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)

Amen
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)

Agreed, and spotters are useful for this purpose. But it is also possible to have a safe workout without them IMO, even when doing 20 rep squats.

For those who can't drop the weights, Herr Stamper is right - you would have to be an idiot to do a hard set of 20 without a spotter.
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Herr Stamper)
What % of your 1rm are were you using?
70%, of an inaccurate 1rm. Used an online calculator to find out my 1rm lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads