The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Right.....before anyone tries to have ago at me (which seems what this thread has turned into!!) I and NOT currently a med student. I have just done my AS levels in Chem, Biology, Maths and Physics.
I think i will most likely drop physics for A2 but much of the stuff covered in the physics AS course supported work in the chemistry and maths courses. Obviously, this will vary depending on which specifications you do.
There are probably similar advantages to RS. In my biology course, there is quite a bit on ethics (stem cells etc) and if you're hoping to do psychology maybe it will help with that?

At the end of the day you have to play to your own strengths. RS is considered the "easier" of the two and maybe it does show more breadth in terms of essay writing skills etc but physics helps with other skills (as mentioned above)

The usefulness of physics on a med course will depend on where you apply and how well you understand it, and i expect (but do not know that there will be elements of an RS course which may be useful) All med courses have to cover exactly the same stuff in the 4/5/6 yrs.

I chose physics because i enjoyed it at GCSE (but not AS level) and I knew that i was good at it.

Sorry this was so long.....i hope it helped
why do people keep talking about breadth of study. only UCL prefer a contrasting 4th AS (maybe a few more). the real question is how useful it is. physics (medical and nuclear modules) will definitely be useful, especially if you want to specialize into something like radiology. also it helps in research where things like nano technology are increasingly becoming widespread. i don't want to be ignorant and slag off RS, but no way does it compare to physics in terms of what will be more useful for a medical profession.
Reply 82
^here we go again...
Reply 83
Indeed, people who have never set foot in to a medical school as a medical student ALWAYS know best... :wink:
Reply 84
Fluffy
Indeed, people who have never set foot in to a medical school as a medical student ALWAYS know best... :wink:

This thread was 3 days stale and you had to bring it back didn't you... :p:
NS
This thread was 3 days stale and you had to bring it back didn't you... :p:

hah its 1 week stale now... lets see how long we can keep it stale for.

EDIT: Whoops it is no longer stale :p:
Reply 86
Now you'll have to start again :smile:
Reply 87
Fluffy

So? You're in your fourth year, as a graduate. You may not know how the entry requirements have or will change(d). A lot of undergraduates are very well informed, just because you're studying medicine it doesn't exactly mean you and only you have the divine right to advise people. They are just trying to help.
Reply 88
m4n0ran
So? You're in your fourth year, as a graduate. You may not know how the entry requirements have or will change(d). A lot of undergraduates are very well informed, just because you're studying medicine it doesn't exactly mean you and only you have the divine right to advise people. They are just trying to help.

With completely incorrect advice that could be taken as gospel by some poor sod... With help like that... :no: :no: :no:

While grade requirements change; subject requirements rarely do. I think the last one was when RUMS decided to state in their prospectus that they like a third A2 to be non-sciency for diversities sake - not that that was an absolute requirements...

And anyway - I'm not arguing with UNDERGRADUATES, I am one myself... It's people who haven't set foot in a med school as a med student and who have no idea how a curriculum fits together and what helps and doesn't spouting off as if they are an expert...
Reply 89
Fluffy
With completely incorrect advice that could be taken as gospel by some poor sod... With help like that... :no: :no: :no:

While grade requirements change; subject requirements rarely do. I think the last one was when RUMS decided to state in their prospectus that they like a third A2 to be non-sciency for diversities sake - not that that was an absolute requirements...

And anyway - I'm not arguing with UNDERGRADUATES, I am one myself... It's people who haven't set foot in a med school as a med student and who have no idea how a curriculum fits together and what helps and doesn't spouting off as if they are an expert...

If you are referring to the person who said Physics was much more useful because of Radiology/Nano technology then yes I can see your point (I think that's who your original comment was directed to?).
m4n0ran
If you are referring to the person who said Physics was much more useful because of Radiology/Nano technology then yes I can see your point (I think that's who your original comment was directed to?).

can i just point out that i did work experience with a radiologist before who actually said it was good and useful in certain aspects of medicine that i was doing physics. going back to my previous post, of course i can't make a fair comparison without input of opinion and bias. i don't know what the definition of "expert" is, but if you're going by this whole hierarchy of who's more qualified to give advice than others then my point stays valid. btw i'm perfectly competent to know when to give advice on matters where i know what i'm talking about...and i will only take the opinion of the OP to decide whether my advice was helpful or not, because in the end that was who my post was directed at.
Reply 91
Isometrix
can i just point out that i did work experience with a radiologist before who actually said it was good and useful in certain aspects of medicine that i was doing physics. going back to my previous post, of course i can't make a fair comparison without input of opinion and bias. i don't know what the definition of "expert" is, but if you're going by this whole hierarchy of who's more qualified to give advice than others then my point stays valid. btw i'm perfectly competent to know when to give advice on matters where i know what i'm talking about...and i will only take the opinion of the OP to decide whether my advice was helpful or not, because in the end that was who my post was directed at.

Well, don't feel that I am attacking you, was defending you from Fluffy's post.
Reply 92
Edit: The troll's posts were deleted, so there is no reason for this comment.
Reply 93
Insults... :rofl: :rofl: You seem to have one set of rules for your own behavour and another for everyone else.

Your nice shiny string of rep proves the troll-ness-ness of your TSR being... You don't get one of those without being fairly special.

Feel free to ignore me - TSR even have a feature to allow you to do that.
Reply 94
Fluffy
Insults... :rofl: :rofl: You seem to have one set of rules for your own behavour and another for everyone else.

Your nice shiny string of rep proves the troll-ness-ness of your TSR being... You don't get one of those without being fairly special.

Feel free to ignore me - TSR even have a feature to allow you to do that.

Ok, yet you are insulting me? I wonder why your rep is disabled, perhaps something to hide? Just accept that you lost this argument please and get this thread back on topic or let it die. I will be the better person and step down, because you are obviously getting quite frustrated. Maybe you need to cool down love :smile:. Ok, I must go out now and enjoy the sunshine, feel free to stay at your monitor and seeth with rage. Bye :smile:.
Reply 95
No - I chose to do so - you should get rep because people think you deserve it, not because they are scared of return rep or are trying to rep whore and think you're good for return..
m4n0ran
Well, don't feel that I am attacking you, was defending you from Fluffy's post.

admittedly i did quote the wrong person, but after seeing that you also agreed to her claim i'm not going to bother editing it.
i appreciate constructive criticism but i will not stand down when i think i've been inappropriately treated on the assumption that i'm not suitably qualified to give advice. you people didn't take into consideration that i might have actually done the subject and might have had experience before i made such claims.
also i see that fluffy has quite a reputation on this forum, so common sense would dictate that you avoid getting into conflicts with such members...

Latest

Trending

Trending