Why CAN'T you apply to both Oxford and Cambridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hey guysch im kl
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bluemax)
because it doesnt matter where you apply to. Because if someone is good enough to get an offer from both oxford and cambridge then other people would miss out on their offers. I hope you understand what i mean.
Thats not correct. Every other university gives out more offers than they have places, so people that are good enough to get offers from more than one uni do not miss out. For example, both LSE and UCL Economics give out 3 times as many offers as places per year, as they know that only 1/3 of the offers they give out (roughly) will choose them and then make the AAA requirement.

I don't see why Oxbridge can't do the same.
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lets_make_some_music)
i guess its because its harder to get an offer, and you only get 5 choices so there's more chance of not recieving many offers, if any at all
that is in no way a reason. You could apply to Oxbridge then 3 crap unis.

Alternatively, atm that sort of thing does happen. For example in Economics, someone applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham (for example) will have to meet AAA grades (and 1 AAB) and have not much chance of getting an offer.

Please think about what you say before you post
hey guysch im kl
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Hmm maybe. If they weren't actual tutors i'd still dispute that though.

How do you do so?: prospectus has a little section on each college which can give you a general impression. The college website will have additional info for when you narrow your search a bit. The alternative prospectuses i find particularly good. You can visit a few colleges on the open day, and TSR is pretty good! What would you look for in particular?

For example, i went through the prospectus and eliminated any college that did not have 3 year accommodation and decided based on the other factors after that.

At the end of the day it will probably make little difference to whether you enjoy your time or not though, it must be said.

You're not . Or 'why Oxford' or 'why your subject'.

They don't know which college you applied to no.
Why must you give false advice? I and many other people I know were asked why we applied to the college we applied to. It makes me so angry how idiots like you insist on potentially ruining applicants chances by thinking you know everything when clearly you don't.

To open application people: it doesn't disadvantage you, but when you go to interview make sure you have a few reasons as to why you would like to go to that college, in case you get asked in interview.
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

How do you do so?: prospectus has a little section on each college which can give you a general impression. The college website will have additional info for when you narrow your search a bit. The alternative prospectuses i find particularly good. You can visit a few colleges on the open day, and TSR is pretty good! What would you look for in particular?

For example, i went through the prospectus and eliminated any college that did not have 3 year accommodation and decided based on the other factors after that.

At the end of the day it will probably make little difference to whether you enjoy your time or not though, it must be said.

Why shouldn't they know what college you've applied to? That doesn't make sense if it were true, how does the college in question find out that you've applied?
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hey guysch im kl)
Why must you give false advice? I and many other people I know were asked why we applied to the college we applied to. It makes me so angry how idiots like you insist on potentially ruining applicants chances by thinking you know everything when clearly you don't.

To open application people: it doesn't disadvantage you, but when you go to interview make sure you have a few reasons as to why you would like to go to that college, in case you get asked in interview.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's no use getting shirty with people that are genuinely trying to help.
If you send an open application, why would they ask you why you want to go to a certain college in an interview? If what you said is true, they know that you haven't made the choice.
oo_Lucinda_oo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TommyWannabe)
I always figured it's because they're *****es and don't like the fact that you've applied to both.
This.
Sub Zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
usually if you're good enough for one, your good enough for the other so you should make the decision as to which course you prefer,
they also do not want to give more offers per place
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why must you give false advice? I and many other people I know were asked why we applied to the college we applied to.
Interesting. Specific to my subject? Specific to my year? whichever it is, they categorically told me that they would not bother asking which college you applied to.

It makes me so angry how idiots like you insist on potentially ruining applicants chances by thinking you know everything when clearly you don't.
Do you really think they would judge a candidates application on how they decided their college? By how well they can suck-up? If it is asked it is as an introductory question to get the interview going, not come 'crucial' step like you seem to think.
Bezzler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I got asked "why Philosophy and German?" in an interview.

I've heard people who got asked "why this college?" - including some who'd been pooled or had open applications. The tutors genuinely don't know.

In response to the original question - almost all people who applied to Oxford would apply to Cambridge as well. The offers given out would be almost the same for both universities. Therefore only half as many people would get an Oxbridge offer, and lots of people (approx. 4-5000) who would previously have got an offer wouldn't anymore.

That's not the only reason, but I reckon it's the most important.

And use the search function - been debated many times before!
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you know, there's a thread that's identical to this one. please look for existing threads before posting a new one.
Marsha2112
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone says 'too many applicants', but places like LSE and Bristol have just as many applicants & competition if not more. Isn't it just as logical to have the same rules for Durham/Warwick, etc.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
Why shouldn't they know what college you've applied to? That doesn't make sense if it were true, how does the college in question find out that you've applied?
It might be specific to medicine, or possibly to subjects where interviews at two colleges are standard, on second thoughts (i.e. the college would not know if you applied there or if they are the randomly allocated other college). It would not impact on your chances of getting in though, surely, and if you applied with an open app' i'm pretty sure your are assigned a college and the tutors don't know you did not apply there.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bezzler)
I got asked "why Philosophy and German?" in an interview.

I've heard people who got asked "why this college?" - including some who'd been pooled or had open applications. The tutors genuinely don't know.
Edited.
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
yeah i think the other posts have explained it pretty well. the application system would be a nightmare if you would be able to apply to both.

what I dont understand is why an open application is regarded as a negative thing in Oxbridge. I mean there are so many colleges in Oxford and Cambridge, how the hell are you supposed to chose?
As far as I know, in the admissions process the admissions tutors don't see whether a student applied directly to their college or whether they were computer allocated, so there is no bias there. When you actually get into college, you'll find that everyone, regardless of whether they applied direct or not grows to love their college above all others :P
Mangaartist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's the same reason why you can only apply to 4 places for medicine. There would be too many people applying for both and they already have lots of administrative stuff to do as it is, plus it would be hard to predict how many of their offers are going to be accepted (now it's quite easy, someone who gets an offer is very likely to firm it)
Eva2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It might be specific to medicine, or possibly to subjects where interviews at two colleges are standard, on second thoughts (i.e. the college would not know if you applied there or if they are the randomly allocated other college). It would not impact on your chances of getting in though, surely, and if you applied with an open app' i'm pretty sure your are assigned a college and the tutors don't know you did not apply there.
Oh ok thanks
Bezzler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Edited.
I can't see the difference
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eva2)
you know, there's a thread that's identical to this one. please look for existing threads before posting a new one.
This is the old thread, clever clogs.:rolleyes:
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LouLou92)
you applied to both oxford and cambridge?
how would they know you'd applied to the other?
If you're a graduate, nothing at all.
Galatea
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
tbh I doubt the reason has anything to do with the benefits for the applicants... in the US you can apply to any number of schools and combinations as you want I think.

Its probably more to day with avoiding the administrative hassle of having twice the number of applicants, especially as both unis like to interview most of thier candidates. Plus one probably wouldn't want the rejects of the other and vice versa.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise