UCL more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge? Watch

Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
How?
An admission tutor emailed me about my personal statement; the email itself would have taken more than a minute to write.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dragonkiller)
An admission tutor emailed me about my personal statement; the email itself would have taken more than a minute to write.
He/she was obviously interested in your application from the minute that he/she spent looking at it. Simple.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't understand how some people can deny this. If someone has 13A* and 5As, their personal statement really can't be that bad (or missing 'what they are looking for') especially if they can get into LSE but get rejected by UCL.
Let two points be made clear.

You have no evidence that people with said grades write good personal statements, or even that they're clever. So when you say 'can't' you in fact mean, 'I don't believe, for reasons I'm unsure of myself, and certainly couldn't provide credible evidence for'.

In your mind LSE is incontrovertibly 'better' than UCL because you read it in a league table, or their grade requirements are higher. Therefore UCL could not possibly reject a student the LSE had accepted. This proves that you are hyper-credentialist, but not that UCL's admissions tutors are.
Dragonkiller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"or even that they're clever"

Yes, because every idiot can get those grades...
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

It's far too easy to get straight A's at A level, hence the introduction of the A* grade, maybe not any idiot but most idiots could get straight A's without too much difficulty at A level with focus on technique in their teaching

That's why so many people flounder at the 2:2 level when they get to uni
ExRx123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
It's far too easy to get straight A's at A level, hence the introduction of the A* grade, maybe not any idiot but most idiots could get straight A's without too much difficulty at A level with focus on technique in their teaching

That's why so many people flounder at the 2:2 level when they get to uni
Definitely agree.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Your understanding of correlation is hilariously ****. I thought you number monkeys learnt that stuff...
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

You would be surprised.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well when I went for interview last year, everyone at that interview except me had applied for Oxbridge. No one I later bumped into on TSR, or heard of through other girls that were there who I met later, was rejected.

Competition for an interview is tough, because there are so many applicants and so few spaces. But Oxbridge alone isn't reason enough for them to reject you
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Its BS, they cant see where else you've applied.
wizz_kid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=620721
Kathryn91919
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
They could presume candidates have if they applied before October 15th - seems unfair though
vik101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was wondering the same thing, a number of oxbridge candidates have been rejected by ucl in my school, and these guys are the smartest in my year... either the competition is very very fierce this year or ucl can see that this candidate is very strong and he wont put them as his first choice.
shyamp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cj-Tj)
but it could be slightly obvious?

4-5 A's at AS level + GCSE's all A*s and a few A's = Definate Oxbridge Applicant
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it takes more than grades to get a place, maybe the people who you're talking about had a **** PS/qualities?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by whf555)
Our economics teacher had told us last year that this may happen simply because both UCL and LSE do not wish to be 2nd choice.
Your teacher is an idiot, with the greatest respect. It's very unprofessional of him/her to spread this misinformation.

There have always been rumours that the other top unis discriminate against Oxbridge applicants. It's usually made against Durham and Bristol, but also the top UoL institutions also. It's nonsense. They don't know whether or not you've applied to Oxbridge (they can assume that, if you applied before the Oxbridge deadline, then you have but this would be quite an assumption).

Despite what your teacher suggests, you don't place your uni choices in any order. Besides, I know of a few people who would have LSE as their top choice, regardless of their other choices. The truth is, university applications can be a lottery. They are popular and very oversbuscribed courses. Perhaps your schoolmates just didn't have that extra something? What works for one admissions tutor may not work for another. Don't forget that grades are only part of an application, there's the personal statement and references also.
Charlski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shyamp)
4-5 A's at AS level + GCSE's all A*s and a few A's = Definate Oxbridge Applicant

Not necessarily. I have several friends who had those kind of grades and DIDN'T apply to Oxbridge.

OP, it's bull. Nowhere can tell where else you've applied to, and I doubt UCL/LSE are going to reject the best students who apply to them, are they!
easy_lemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What are these guys like as people? UCL focuses very heavily on PS not just grades, they like candidates to be well rounded individuals who will contribute to the social side here, not just be super smart.

The discrimination thing is rubbish, there are so many people on my course for example who also got fantastic UMS scores and applied to Oxbridge but also got offers from UCL.

I don't know much about LSE who seem a bit weird as they tend to reject based purely on academics lol...not many interviews etc but what the hell do I know, I don't go there lol
whf555
Report 10 years ago
The thing is if you get a boy who gets 10A* and 4As at AS, it may seem obvious to the UCL admission officers that these boys are going to get into Oxbridge when that is clearly not the case considering there are many guys with high grades who simply have no social skills and would fail the interviews.
shyamp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlski)
Not necessarily. I have several friends who had those kind of grades and DIDN'T apply to Oxbridge.
well i may be exaggerating the definately part, but majority of the time, applicants with those grades will be trying to get into oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed