The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
At the moment I'm not, but I'm planning to just do some mental maths to get my brain 'in gear'. (To borrow your phrase). I'll buy the UKCAT&BMAT book and see what they say and do practice questions on the website. Not much else I can think of really.

I need to find something to make me faster - that's for sure.

What have you been doing in preparation?

(And to everyone as well - it'll be interesting to see how we're all preparing!)
Mmm. At the moment, nothing. I'll do the questions on the site nearer the time, but I'm not really keen on buying anything for the exam - I'm pretty sceptical about how helpful it'd be, to be honest...

Perhaps sudoku and stuff would help to speed the brain up? And maybe some bland reading in the days leading up to it to bring my reading speed up a few notches...

Sounds like I need some newspapers!

For BMAT, I'll go through my GCSE physics revision guide (not doing physics at the moment)... that's all I've got planned at the moment.
Reply 82
I am way too slow on Numerical. Has anyone else found the questions in the UKCAT book very easy compared to the sample paper on the UKCAT website? I couldn't even finish the numerical within the time limit!

Any resources/tips to help me ace the numerical section would be appreciated.
Reply 83
Mr Halpert
I am way too slow on Numerical. Has anyone else found the questions in the UKCAT book very easy compared to the sample paper on the UKCAT website? I couldn't even finish the numerical within the time limit!

Any resources/tips to help me ace the numerical section would be appreciated.

id guess any mental maths sort of thing, basic adding/subtraction/multiplication/division/working out of averages sort of thing would help, especially if you do them with problems, and reading tables/graphs sort of thing - out of all the sections (apart from possibly the reading....) there's probably the most you can do for this, as it's a question of being speedy. i am waaay too slow on it at the minute....and i have...a week left?
wat kinda maths??

what do people find the hardest part/aspect of the test?
the time limit seems to be a big problem as far as i can see.....

i ammm not lookin forward to mine on the 20th august at all!>....................
Reply 85
I hate the abstract reasoning section so much. & the time limit on the maths. I rather they make it more complex and give more time on the maths section. Hope i don't get a dodgy computer like some people have!
BMAT & UKCAT are **** - just another hurdle for getting into medical school!

GOOD LUCK
anyone else dfind the decision analysis tricky? is it true that the decision analysis section is less time pressured???
Reply 88
Ahhhhhh! Mine's tomorrow!

Soo nervous...
modini

Soo nervous...

Good luck :smile:
Reply 90
modini

Soo nervous...

Good luck! I hope it goes well! Let us know how you get on. :smile:
Reply 91
scaryhair
Good luck

Thanks, I'll need truck loads of it.
Reply 92
Holsy
Good luck! I hope it goes well! Let us know how you get on.

Reply 93
modini

You will, you will. Don't worry yourself too much. :hugs:
modini

Soo nervous...

Buena suerte. :smile: I'm sure you won't need it.
good luck!!!!!!

btw, do we definately get a calculator on the day??

also has anyone tried the test practices on the ukcat website? once you have done them how are you supposed to mark them? it just closes and you lose all your answer????????

anyone?
* Dain Bramaged
good luck!!!!!!

btw, do we definately get a calculator on the day??

also has anyone tried the test practices on the ukcat website? once you have done them how are you supposed to mark them? it just closes and you lose all your answer????????

anyone?

You can open up the answer schemes from the same page, but you'll have to remember which ones you picked when you did the test (or write them down on paper at the same time) - it's so annoying that it closes, eh?
Reply 97
modini

Soo nervous...

Good luck! sure you'll do great.

Myoclonic Jerk
You can open up the answer schemes from the same page, but you'll have to remember which ones you picked when you did the test (or write them down on paper at the same time) - it's so annoying that it closes, eh?

yup. and if you don't manage one of the sections in the time, you have to go through and click through evvvvery single questions you've already done, and scroll down since you "havent viewed all the information on that page".

i guess its an incentive to get faster at them...im still waaay too slow.
ye i jus do it. it is soo annoying. which section you slow at?? any in particular?

someone told me you get a calculator on the test on the side of the screen or soemthing? i dint see it on the practice tests..... do we definately have one?
Reply 99
Urgh. Just did verbal reasoning practise thing and got 24/44. The future does not look bright.

I really can't read lots of text of a computer screen. In real life i print it off. It's so lameeeee.

I think i'm gonna book mine for the end of August, so I have lots of time to practice :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending