Russia: Military help for Georgia is a 'declaration of war' Watch

Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
Yes, but the "bahahahaha, we're going to nuke Poland" one was splashed all over the front pages pretty quickly. Why not this similar claim?

Maybe "bwahahaha we're going to nuke Poland" is more credible than "mwahahaha we're going to nuke everyone?"
Agent Smith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nefarious)
Maybe "bwahahaha we're going to nuke Poland" is more credible than "mwahahaha we're going to nuke everyone?"
Hardly. The two are synonymous, or would become so in about half an hour.
punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is anyone actually insane enough to destroy the world, though?

I mean... the whole world. Every element of humanity fizzled out in one great big inferno. Everything that matters now to every person completely gone.

Do you think there's anyone mad enough to actually do that?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IeuanF)
Why wasn't the "declaration of war" m'thingy reported more widely? It's on the Daily Mail's website and the one posted by the OP, but very few other major publications appear to have picked it up.

Strange.
It was very widely reported. I read it in the Telegraph and again in the Times online and a half dozen other sources. It was also reported on TV (Fox and CNN) and covered by NPR and the BBC world service.

There's no need to limit your media sources to the DM.:rolleyes:
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
It was very widely reported. I read it in the Telegraph and again in the Times online and a half dozen other sources. It was also reported on TV (Fox and CNN) and covered by NPR and the BBC world service.
Ah.
TruckBear
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Yeah, ok, it was probably more due to my crappy googling skills than anything, lol.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IeuanF)

Yeah, ok, it was probably due to my crappy googling skills than anything, lol.
Even "Yahoo" main page ran it as a news article. I was tripping over it all over the place.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Nevertheless, those reports - the Times and the Torygraph - are likely to have been far more measured than those in the DM.

However, just searching through the Guardian website - I can't really see anything on it which seems mostly odd if it was as widely reported as you say. One would expect it to crop up there somewhere.

Any links to those other media sources (besides Fox & CNN - I don't fancy reading that)?
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Meanwhile, a rights group has said UN satellite images prove ethnic Georgian villages in South Ossetia were torched.

Human Rights Watch says the pictures of five villages near the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, are "compelling evidence of war crimes and grave human rights abuses".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7587598.stm
I think this has gone beyond South Ossetia now.
Agent Smith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
Nevertheless, those reports - the Times and the Torygraph - are likely to have been far more measured than those in the DM.

However, just searching through the Guardian website - I can't really see anything on it which seems mostly odd if it was as widely reported as you say. One would expect it to crop up there somewhere.

Any links to those other media sources (besides Fox & CNN - I don't fancy reading that)?
Nothing wrong with CNN. Well, no, I take that back. There's not much wrong with CNN.
TruckBear
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even "Yahoo" main page ran it as a news article. I was tripping over it all over the place.
Kick a man whilst he's down why don't you...

:getmecoat:
donmcl777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)

I mean... the whole world. ?

Humnanity is too big headed. We cant destroy the world. just like we cant save it. As much as we like to think were all powerfull. All we can really do is destroy ourselves.
Youngs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I mean... the whole world. Every element of humanity fizzled out in one great big inferno. Everything that matters now to every person completely gone.

Do you think there's anyone mad enough to actually do that?
No but there are people who are mad enough to believe you can win a nuclear war. The scary part is I'm pretty sure some of these people are in the Pentagon. Reagan said this during his presidency.

I hope and pray that Obama get's in, McCain would be far too easily influenced my gung-ho US Military leaders, it's very much his background. He's also know for his temper and opening his mouth before thinking. Unfortunately the Republicans seem to want to drag this feud out in order to get him in, and get Condoleeza Rice on the news a lot to show that they have black people too.

If Obama get's in I hope this all dies down. Miliband should keep his nose out on our behalf as well, he doesn't speak for NATO or the EU, leave that to Sarkhozy(who appears to have much more tact than anyone else involved). Does Miliband think the UK is really in a position to be making threats?! I know in a nuclear war numbers are almost irrelevant but even so I'm pretty sure the Russians are too concerned Trident.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Meanwhile, a rights group has said UN satellite images prove ethnic Georgian villages in South Ossetia were torched.

Human Rights Watch says the pictures of five villages near the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, are "compelling evidence of war crimes and grave human rights abuses".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7587598.stm
Not being funny Bis but it's amazing that some charity called "Human Rights Watch" can state what UN satellite images prove and yet the UN themselves say nothing at all. Since when did we rely on Human Rights Watch employees for interpretation of satelite imagery and intelligence work?
donmcl777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not being funny Bis but it's amazing that some charity called "Human Rights Watch" can state what UN satellite images prove and yet the UN themselves say nothing at all. Since when did we rely on Human Rights Watch employees for interpretation of satelite imagery and intelligence work?

Human rights watch will drum up any old situation, as long as it brings attention to themselves, and their whiny views
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
However, just searching through the Guardian website - I can't really see anything on it which seems mostly odd if it was as widely reported as you say.
LOL! Look harder. There's probably a snippet there somewhere - hidden beneath volumes of advertisments for "lesbian case workers" for Harringay Council.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL! Look harder. There's probably a snippet there somewhere - hidden beneath volumes of advertisments for "lesbian case workers" for Harringay Council.
Right. I went through everything related to Russia and Georgia in the last two weeks. Nothing there at all.

But of course: the Evening Standard says it all really:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...do?expand=true
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by donmcl777)
Humnanity is too big headed. We cant destroy the world. just like we cant save it. As much as we like to think were all powerfull. All we can really do is destroy ourselves.
And most other animals. Let's face it, if all the nukes went off, there wouldn't really be much of a world left.

A little rock floating through space, perhaps?
donmcl777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And most other animals. Let's face it, if all the nukes went off, there wouldn't really be much of a world left.

A little rock floating through space, perhaps?
Yer but give it a couple a million and everything will be back to normal. There wont be a trace of our little race left.
donmcl777
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: hahaha..........The Gaurdian
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.81%
No (661)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (224)
20.55%

Watched Threads