Turn on thread page Beta

Overtaking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngs)
    No but you said they should ride at a distance which means motorists can pass them as ease. I couldn't care less if a motorist can pass me with ease, I care far more about my own safety than holding up a car for a little bit.
    You would, you're a cyclist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry)
    You would, you're a cyclist.
    You should, you're a human being.

I hope you are doing this just to wind me up, if not your attitude to cyclists is disgraceful and the main reason a lot of people aren't cycling.

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful? Boohoo.

Get a car.

ReputationRep:
    You should, you're a human being.

I hope you are doing this just to wind me up, if not your attitude to cyclists is disgraceful and the main reason a lot of people aren't cycling.
    Work it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmaricz)
    Think its more like half a metre actually.... you're supposed to cycle so that you are far enough away from the kerb so that you dont ride over drains (at least thats what they taught me when i did my cycle proficiency courses!)

and as to as much right to be on the road... thats a bit of a subject for contest really.... Dont get me wrong i do a LOT of cycling, but cyclists dont pay road tax - drivers do...? which has more right to use the roads....?!!
    Nope there is no such thing as 'road tax' it's a vehicle tax, not a tax to use the roads.

If fact you can ride slap bang in the middle of the road if you want, I'm pretty sure the suggested distance is 1m though.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps its because of people like yourself who believe as a cyclist you have total right of way on the roads, that drivers are so hostile to cyclists......? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Disgraceful? Boohoo.

Get a car.
    I'd rather not, thank you. Whilst bad, inconsiderate drivers like yourself do make cycling not as enjoyable as it should be I still prefer it to motoring.

I hope it doesn't take a serious car accident for your attitude to respecting other road users to change.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not, thank you. Whilst bad, inconsiderate drivers like yourself do make cycling not as enjoyable as it should be I still prefer it to motoring.

I hope it doesn't take a serious car accident for your attitude to respecting other road users to change.
    There's the problem with this forum folks, people just take themselves far too seriously.

Get a car.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps its because of people like yourself who believe as a cyclist you have total right of way on the roads, that drivers are so hostile to cyclists......? :p:
    I have exactly the same rights of way as any other road user. I'm a very considerate cyclist and do always obey the rules of the road, the problem is that some motorists don't show me the same courtesy.

ReputationRep:
    And they shouldn't, as a cyclist you're sub-human, I thought you understood this?

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same rights of way as any other road user. I'm a very considerate cyclist and do always obey the rules of the road, the problem is that some motorists don't show me the same courtesy.
    Obviously not or you wouldnt encounter problems. i cycle about half of my journeys and have never encountered a problem with drivers.....

ReputationRep:
    There's the problem with this forum folks, people just take themselves far too seriously.

Get a car.
    Like I said, if you were trying to get a rise out of me, well done you've won. If not and your attitude to other road users is genuinely the same as you have posted here then whilst I hope you do not have any motoring accidents you would be making this far more likely.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, if you were trying to get a rise out of me, well done you've won. If not and your attitude to other road users is genuinely the same as you have posted here then whilst I hope you do not have any motoring accidents you would be making this far more likely.
    I was doing both.

And I've said nothing which proves I'm an inconsiderate driver, cyclists are just a pain in the ass sometimes, as are tractors etc on single carriage roads.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not or you wouldnt encounter problems. i cycle about half of my journeys and have never encountered a problem with drivers.....
    You are very lucky, no part of good cycling on your part can stop bad driving(or cycling or whatever). I'm not sure if this is down to your location or not, I've never cycled in Portsmouth or Poole. I do however notice far better driving on less congested roads, outside of large cities etc.

I don't encounter problems on a daily basis but I do tend to notice dangerous driving. I am often cut up and overtaken by cars leaving a couple of inches between me and them, having to slam on the brakes to stop before being knocked off or forced in another car.

It amazes me that some drivers give much less room and time to cyclists than cars when the stakes are some much higher. It's probably because it's easier just to wipe the blood of their precious metal work than have dents banged out.

ReputationRep:
    Ye exactly.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with the OP.

Think about it logically, if it takes a lorry 4 minutes to overtake another, how much difference to the overtaking lorry is it making? Over the course of 2 or 3 hours maybe around a mile, so a minute!

On the other hand for him to save a minute he is hugely disrupting the rest of the motorway, adding four minutes to EVERYONE else's journey (and possibly longer because of the congestion it creates due to over braking)

I can't quite understand why people are accusing the OP of impatience, surely that lies more with the overtaking lorry driver!

ReputationRep:
    I think car drivers cause enough hold ups themselves by turning 3 lane motorways into 2 lane motorways, so perhaps when they sort their lives out they can then come and have a moan. We all have places to be, just because you drive a car doesn't mean you are more important. Anyway if big vehicles were restricted to lane 1 only, how on earth would you get on and off the motorway? There would be huge convoys, all slipstreaming each other as the faster vehicles catch the slower ones. People would miss junctions and be stuck on slip roads all the time. Things work just fine as they are so leave it like that.

ReputationRep:
    You are very lucky, no part of good cycling on your part can stop bad driving(or cycling or whatever). I'm not sure if this is down to your location or not, I've never cycled in Portsmouth or Poole. I do however notice far better driving on less congested roads, outside of large cities etc.

I don't encounter problems on a daily basis but I do tend to notice dangerous driving. I am often cut up and overtaken by cars leaving a couple of inches between me and them, having to slam on the brakes to stop before being knocked off or forced in another car.

It amazes me that some drivers give much less room and time to cyclists than cars when the stakes are some much higher. It's probably because it's easier just to wipe the blood of their precious metal work than have dents banged out.
    i tend to cycle in bournemouth mostly, and that's pretty busy!

the thing is, you're saying that you cycle down an imaginary line 1 metre from the curb, factor in your body mass ontop of that, and then that you expect people to pass you with atleast a metre gap and you're talking about 2 to 3 metres from the curb. Average road lane cant be much more than 3, so how are people ever supposed to overtake you with such a wide birth? especially when you're talking about busy areas with traffic coming the other way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1010)
    I think car drivers cause enough hold ups themselves by turning 3 lane motorways into 2 lane motorways, so perhaps when they sort their lives out they can then come and have a moan. We all have places to be, just because you drive a car doesn't mean you are more important. Anyway if big vehicles were restricted to lane 1 only, how on earth would you get on and off the motorway? There would be huge convoys, all slipstreaming each other as the faster vehicles catch the slower ones. People would miss junctions and be stuck on slip roads all the time. Things work just fine as they are so leave it like that.
    I can't tell if all this is a joke or actually serious.

Why are you under the impression that if lorries were not allowed to overtake each other in particular parts that we would have this sudden crisis of no one being able to get on and off :confused:

From what I saw on the 2 lane motorway were lorries were not allowed to overtake, people were doing just fine getting on and off. I didn't see any problems in Germany either.

It isn't about just driving a car it is improoving traffic flow, with more and more people starting to drive I think we could do with some improvement with lane discipline and sorting out things like this.

ReputationRep:
    Why should it not be serious? If you have, stuck in lane 1, a big line of lorries (the fast ones have caught the slow ones and thus formed a big line of lorries yeah?), i'm sure you know how close they like to follow each other, people will struggle to get on and off (ok mostly on, getting off shouldn't be a problem if people don't leave it to the last second) junctions as the big line of lorries trundles past it. If they can overtake, at least they start to space out a bit. Its not so stupid, from experience, my 1 large vehicle can cause chaos at junctions for the joining vehicles (often can't change lanes to aid them). Buy a ticket and i'll demonstrate the mayhem i can cause by simply being in lane 1.

I agree though, an improvement of lane discipline is needed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 30, 2008
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.