Russian
Japenese
Chinese

= I always see loads of guys do and like a little amount of women

French
Italian
Spanish

= vice-versa.
Good point. In that, the former languages seemingly have a cultural stereotype as being "masculine" and "difficult", whereas the latter are "beautiful" and "cosmopolitan". To be honest, I think all the differences are cultural, really; we can all learn languages if we set our minds to it. Personally, I think we should, especially as it's been proven to stimulate neurogenesis (from νευρον and γιγνεσθαι :ninja:). Knowing French, and learning Ancient Greek and Latin, I want to learn, after my degree, German, Swedish, Spanish and maybe Dutch.

May we all be cunning linguists!
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Good point. In that, the former languages seemingly have a cultural stereotype as being "masculine" and "difficult", whereas the latter are "beautiful" and "cosmopolitan". To be honest, I think all the differences are cultural, really; we can all learn languages if we set our minds to it. Personally, I think we should, especially as it's been proven to stimulate neurogenesis (from νευρον and γιγνεσθαι :ninja:). Knowing French, and learning Ancient Greek and Latin, I want to learn, after my degree, German, Swedish, Spanish and maybe Dutch.

May we all be cunning linguists!
You and I have probably made this joke before, probably in the same thread if we scroll back but whatever:

I too am a linguist of a must cunning disposition!

Incidentally I'm one of only about 3 men in my Ancient Greek class, to change the stereotype abit.
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Lyceum)
You and I have probably made this joke before, probably in the same thread if we scroll back but whatever:

I too am a linguist of a must cunning disposition!

Incidentally I'm one of only about 3 men in my Ancient Greek class, to change the stereotype abit.
Well, we did question each other's respective sexualities on the first page, if that counts for anything.

My Ancient Greek class is virtually equal in terms of the battle of the sexes, but classics courses on average tend to be about 40:60, male:female. We're definitely blurring the lines between gender and sexuality, or other some progressive **** like that; as male classicists, we're bordering on transvestism, like wearing a nice feathery hat, but not the heels.

By the way, at which university are you? Or are you not even at university yet? You're an elusive creature, my friend!
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, we did question each other's respective sexualities on the first page, if that counts for anything.

My Ancient Greek class is virtually equal in terms of the battle of the sexes, but classics courses on average tend to be about 40:60, male:female. We're definitely blurring the lines between gender and sexuality, or other some progressive **** like that; as male classicists, we're bordering on transvestism, like wearing a nice feathery hat, but not the heels.

By the way, at which university are you? Or are you not even at university yet? You're an elusive creature, my friend!
I'm far from transvestite, I'm a manly brand of Classicist: long hair, rugged stubble, broad chested and all that lark. The extent of my namby pamby art critique in my subject is going as far as calling all Minoans "gay", frankly.

I'm at Uni, yeah.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm far from transvestite, I'm a manly brand of Classicist: long hair, rugged stubble, broad chested and all that lark. The extent of my namby pamby art critique in my subject is going as far as calling all Minoans "gay", frankly.

I'm at Uni, yeah.
Ah yes, of course. (He's still in denial. :yep:)

Why the secrecy? Do you have a criminal record in Russia or something?
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah yes, of course. (He's still in denial. :yep:)

Why the secrecy? Do you have a criminal record in Russia or something?
Ah, no, sorry. In RHUL. Though yes I do have a criminal record in Russia, but that's a tale for another day and another drink.
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah, no, sorry. In RHUL. Though yes I do have a criminal record in Russia, but that's a tale for another day and another drink.
Ah okay, that's cool. Vale fortunaque, soci.
The Lyceum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah okay, that's cool. Vale fortunaque, soci.
Health and luck to you too friend, god knows no one seems to have enough of it lately.

Speaking of linguists, I have to get back to ancient Greek. Sigh.
Duck and Cover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm well, I'm a linguist and I'm not gay, but I know a fair few here who are. In terms of male:female, there are certainly more girls doing MML than boys but I don't think it's AS drastic as I've seen elsewhere, like when I've been on open days at other unis. But as I said, plenty on male linguists!

Also, as a point of information, there were more firsts at Cambridge for MML among guys last year than among girls...*controversial*!
CatatonicStupor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In terms of my Spanish and Italian classes, we're more 'girl heavy', it's true; but at least the classes I'm in aren't very 'gay heavy'. Spanish has relatively camp guys who all assert to being straight as an arrow; and my Italian class - I'm outnumbered 12:2 on the woman front, and the only other guy is 26 and has a child and a girlfriend.

But, to get back to the point - I'm a linguist, I'm bisexual, and I'm only studying romances (Castellano, Italian and Catalan; though I enjoy reading newspapers in Galician too). I think I might prove your theory.
AmyGrace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im at Nottingham doing French and Hispanic BA, and am a girl..and ...well doing spanish there are around 100 people in my year all on a variety of courses that include spanish...and id say its probably a 70/30 split between men and women..the 70 being women. out of those guys i know of only maybe...3 that are gay. so i wouldnt say so really in my experience anyway.
paddy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I started off doing Russian and Spanish (um not so much with the language degree now I'm afraid).
Anywho. In my Russian class there were a fair few guys, can't remember exact proportions but I would say probably 40:60, maybe even about half.
Spanish was WAAAY girl-heavy though.

I miss langauges

Gay btw. Spanish and Latin A Levels also if that helps :yep:
SaveItForTheMorning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing French, German and Italian and I'm straight.
German is more or less equal, but slightly more girls.
French and Italian are about 2:10 guys:girls but I'm definitely not complaining hahaha
I tend to find girls studying languages are hotttt
user106777
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing French and German AS and want to study French at uni And i'm bisexual. My french class is 50/50 boys:girls, German is 75/25. I think that conforms to OP's statement
Divine cosmos
Report 9 years ago
HHmmm, My cousin did Spanish and he's gay.
I'm also studying Spanish and I'm not gay.
Except after a few drinks and a back massage.
Ross E
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are 6 Males in my Spanis class. 5 of them are gay :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1068)
79.05%
Leave (283)
20.95%

Watched Threads