Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apply to a different Uni?

ReputationRep:
    am i being too risky here? looking at applying for chem eng

GCSE- 6A*, 5A, B in OCR admaths

AS- aa(b)c , the c was 2 marks off a b and was a major disappintment, was expectin near 300 points

A2 predictions- AAB

also doing two new AS levels this yr, f.maths and physics, predictions a* and a

thinking of applying to

manchester- AAB
    Newcastle- AAB/ABB
    loughborough- 340/320 points can be from 2 A2's and 2AS's
    bath- ABB/BBB
    leeds- ABB

haven't started personal satement yet , but i'm not short of stuff to put in it lol, will have loadsa retakes to make sure i get AAB atleast, i still think i should get AAAa*a

thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chairboy1)
    am i being too risky here? looking at applying for chem eng

GCSE- 6A*, 5A, B in OCR admaths

AS- aa(b)c , the c was 2 marks off a b and was a major disappintment, was expectin near 300 points

A2 predictions- AAB

also doing two new AS levels this yr, f.maths and physics, predictions a* and a

thinking of applying to

manchester- AAB
    Newcastle- AAB/ABB
    loughborough- 340/320 points can be from 2 A2's and 2AS's
    bath- ABB/BBB
    leeds- ABB

haven't started personal satement yet , but i'm not short of stuff to put in it lol, will have loadsa retakes to make sure i get AAB atleast, i still think i should get AAAa*a

thoughts?
    See my edit to post #1.

You'll need to work out for yourself what level of risk there is for each of your choices, particularly checking that you meet all the essential subject/grade requirements.

The new A* grade doesn't apply to AS levels, only to A2, btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    See my edit to post #1.

You'll need to work out for yourself what level of risk there is for each of your choices, particularly checking that you meet all the essential subject/grade requirements.

The new A* grade doesn't apply to AS levels, only to A2, btw.
    ok thanks, we get predicted a UMS score, so i took 300 to mean a*, how come theres no a* at AS?? lol

i'm gunna stick with them i think, i have 2 sciences which are required, and an A in maths, which is prefered. If i don't gte the right offers cos of my epic fail in chemistry AS, i'll just go through clearing, cos i'm pretty sure i'll have at least a B with retakes n all

ReputationRep:
    BCCDD
    not as good as i hoped and im taking subjects which i got BCD in :/
    however i am predicted ABB!
    i am doing 3 resits and am going to work realllly hard this year!
    is this too unrealistic??

Glasgow-ABB
    Leeds-ABB
    Queen Mary- 320pts
    Goldsmiths-BBB
    Sheffield Hallam BBC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisychain91)
    BCCDD

Glasgow-ABB
    Leeds-ABB
    Queen Mary- 320pts
    Goldsmiths-BBB
    Sheffield Hallam BBC
    Look at the bit in post #1 where I make the point about the gap between actual AS and predicted A2 grades. Unless you have a reasonable explanation (eg ill, rather than idle) your choices are higher risk than your predictions might suggest - but this is not the same as saying 'don't do it'. That decision is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Havent read the rest of the thread but do not fear 5 rejections. Even then u have extra and clearing. Always go for where you actually want to go in your 5 choices. Dont put crap cause later you'll regret it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexyfoot)
    Havent read the rest of the thread but do not fear 5 rejections. Even then u have extra and clearing. Always go for where you actually want to go in your 5 choices. Dont put crap cause later you'll regret it!
    Quite.

If you had, you would realise what it's about. Why encourage people to make unrealistic/hopeless choices? The experience of getting 4 or 5 rejections is not one to enjoy, as plenty of people on here could tell you.

ReputationRep:
    Quite.

If you had, you would realise what it's about. Why encourage people to make unrealistic/hopeless choices? The experience of getting 4 or 5 rejections is not one to enjoy, as plenty of people on here could tell you.
    Lol, not saying unrealistic but unis u actually want to go to....I put down Swansea just to have an insurance and I wouldnt have gone there. At least if u get 4 rejections, the fifth one is a place u realy DO want to study at. Be realistic but putting more than 1 insurance is pure crap because unis that are insurance-like are ALWAYS up on Extra. and why should I read 5 pages of discussion when I can give my opinion without it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexyfoot)
    Lol, not saying unrealistic but unis u actually want to go to....I put down Swansea just to have an insurance and I wouldnt have gone there. At least if u get 4 rejections, the fifth one is a place u realy DO want to study at. Be realistic but putting more than 1 insurance is pure crap because unis that are insurance-like are ALWAYS up on Extra. and why should I read 5 pages of discussion when I can give my opinion without it?
    Because your opinion would be better informed if you did read what people had already posted!

ReputationRep:
    Because your opinion would be better informed if you did read what people had already posted!
    So I need to read what some dude said and then repeat it? ROFL? I am informed enough to have my own opinion, lol.
    Stupid conversation. I still stand behind my words not to put crap unis just to have the satisfaction of getting an offer. I guess all of us should put Kingst on for example so that we receive an offer before February? Hm, CRAP

ReputationRep:
    Might as well let you guys know of my situation...
    GCSE's - 5A*,4A,3B
    AS: ABCC ....one C was 2ums off, other was 4...getting remarks...dropped the A subject (it was media studies)
    A2: Predicted AAA - I didn't "presurize" to get these predictions, i know im more than capable of this, i just had bad exams, i am making sure i get these this year...Hopefully i will end up with AAAa, and i have been told by a few knowlegable people that my PS is really good...although im still working on it...

I have a very risky application set: Economics at -
    LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham...

Now i know that 3 of them are AAA, however Birmingham is ABB, and my aim is that even if i get rejected by the 4, i am pretty sure Birmingham will give me an offer...plus i thought it was pointless to apply for anything lower because once you get to BBB stage, clearing offers a lot of places...i think im going to get some negative opinions on this, so lets hear em' ...

ReputationRep:
    what subjects are you taking at A2 and what were your subject grades in AS?

ReputationRep:
    Maths (B)...Eco(C)...Chemistry(C)

There is a good chance eco could go up...i was 4 UMS away...my module grades were EAB, with the B being 1 mark off an A, so the E could be wrong...but yeah, certainly eco being C is bad

ReputationRep:
    Math (B) is the worst, you realise that many people applying for LSE economics will be doing Maths and Further Maths and will be getting A's in both. Your B in maths is good, but you realise economics at LSE, UCL ... is highly mathematical, the B suggests that you might struggle, hence why they may not offer you a place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, im not applying with any seriousness for LSE...just wanted to have a shot really...i wont mind if 1 out of LSE UCL or Warwick give me an offer...we will have to see...thanks for your opinion...

ReputationRep:
    The first thing is to choose your universities and courses carefully:
    • don’t be blinded by prestige – make sure the course content and structure is what you want and would find interesting
    • look at the stated entry requirements bearing in mind that some unis (Edinburgh and LSE are good examples) are often looking for higher predictions than their published standard offer for competitive courses
    One good way to pick up unis that are doing this is to look at the actual tariffs of students who enter the courses. You can get:
    i) the mean tariff from the newspaper league tables (i.e. The Times, The Independent, The Gaurdian)
    ii) the tariff distribution in 40 tariff point groups from unistat. I have attached the unistats spreadsheet to this post. It gives tariff distributions for each subject at each uni.(That data will similarly show which unis are accepting a lot of students with lower grades. e.g. through clearing.)

You can combine tariff distributions with the typical offers (available from UCAS) to get a good idea of how easy and hard it is to get offers from different unis. i.e. just because 2 unis make the same typical offer you can't conclude they are equally hard to get offers from. e.g. for economics both Warwick and York demand AAB at A-level but one is a lot harder to get offers from than the other.If you want a particular example of how these different publicly available sources of information can be combined togetehr then check out TAELT where I did this for economics. But you can do the same thing for whatever subject you are interested in:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184
    • (Original post by Minerva)
      do not, absolutely not, apply for a course with a stated requirement (eg: Maths GCSE at A*; A2 French at A) that you don’t meet; those requirements are stated for a reason and all you will do is make the admissions tutor’s job very easy
      if the course requirements say something is ‘preferred’ or ‘recommended’ and you don’t have it, consider that choice by definition as ‘high risk’ even if you have the grades the uni seems to be looking for
      Sometimes a condition is described as helpful. If you don't satisfy that condition then (in football referingterms) think of that as a yellow card against your application.
      don’t pick five ‘high risk’ choices; a better balance is 2 ‘high’, 2 ‘medium’, and 1 ‘low’
      I tend to classify unis into 3 categories that may (or may not) bare comparison with Minerva's classification:
      i) Unis you would be surprised to get an offer from
      ii) Unis you would be surprised if you did not get an offer from.
      iii) Unis you would not be surprised either if you did or did not get an offer from.
      make sure all your choices, of whatever risk category, are places you would like to go to – if you can’t visit, at least make sure the course interests you!
      Remember the 2/3 hour rule.
      More than that long way to take washing home.
      less than that risk of parents turning up uninvited on a Sunday morning.
      remember that you do not have to fill in all five choices at the time of submitting your application; you can add choices in later, and this is worth doing if you aren't able to find five you really like. As long as you have added them in by 15 January you will still get equal consideration along with everyone else (NB: this does not apply to anything with a 15 October deadline!)
      How much use this trick is will depend on how early in the cycle the unis you are targetting make offers. Check out offer threads from previous years to find out this information. e.g. Warwick for Economics don't make "any" offers pre January 15th.[/quote]
    A Note on 'Risk'

The point of this post is to help people to work out what, for them, will be their high, medium, and low risk choices. It is not about my being able to tell you what your chances of an offer are! Even a low risk choice can result in an unexpected rejection: the important bit is for you to have made informed choices, rather than find out after the rejection has appeared on Track that an application was unlikely to be successful for some very obvious reason.
    Yes, there is a large unexplained component to how unis make offers!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Tariff_2006-2007.xls (2.37 MB, 110 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berkice)
    Might as well let you guys know of my situation...
    GCSE's - 5A*,4A,3B
    AS: ABCC ....one C was 2ums off, other was 4...getting remarks...dropped the A subject (it was media studies)
    A2: Predicted AAA - I didn't "presurize" to get these predictions, i know im more than capable of this, i just had bad exams, i am making sure i get these this year...Hopefully i will end up with AAAa, and i have been told by a few knowlegable people that my PS is really good...although im still working on it...

I have a very risky application set: Economics at -
    LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham...

Now i know that 3 of them are AAA, however Birmingham is ABB, and my aim is that even if i get rejected by the 4, i am pretty sure Birmingham will give me an offer...plus i thought it was pointless to apply for anything lower because once you get to BBB stage, clearing offers a lot of places...i think im going to get some negative opinions on this, so lets hear em' ...
    i) You should check out the Economic Forum. esp. TAELT 2009, the econ ps guide and the econ uni application guide.
    ii) There is a big gap between Notts and Birmingham. e.g. there are a lot of AAB.1 and AAB.2 unis in there.
    iii) You should find out if Warwick will accept an AS-level in media studies as their 4th subject.
    iv) Applying to 3 of the top 5 unis when you have bc at AS-level for maths and economics is pretty aggressive.

So yes I agree that your application list is risky. Hence you might consider putting some AAB.1 and AAB.2 unis in and only having 1/2 of the Top 5 instead of 3.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice...which AAB uni's would you recommend...southampton was an earlier thought for me, but i replaced it with nottingham...are there any others that you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    BCCDD

Glasgow-ABB
    Leeds-ABB
    Queen Mary- 320pts
    Goldsmiths-BBB
    Sheffield Hallam BBC
    Thanks for the advice, but i think i am going to go with what alexyfoot said and risk it!
    i mean, yes i could possibly get 5 rejections, but also like you said in your first post minerva, what is the point in going to uni (and one i had no intention of going to) just so i can go the same time as my friends? i would rather wait and apply again!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.