Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    SolInvictus was making a joke. You won't like the UK if take everything people say to you literally.
    it's different when it comes from an American, particularly a fellow southerner.

but yes, eventually I did get the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kettensägenmassaker)
    1. Well, with native tribes it's not so much a matter of where but of whom. There is a physical reservation in Okmulgee, Oklahoma, but Creek nationals are not required to live there (obviously) or to have ever even been there. Creeks (also known as Muscogee) were native to the southeastern US before final cession of lands in the early 19th century.

http://www.muscogeenation-nsn.gov/history/history.htm

2. Such is the nature of German verbiage.
    Cheers. When you said citizenship, I thought Creek nationals had their own passport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabso1)
    Cheers. When you said citizenship, I thought Creek nationals had their own passport
    No, they don't need it. While there is a technical level of sovereignty, Creek national properties are still considered to be within the US (and it's very minor property we're taking about). I didn't consider you ignorant - the only reason I remember the name of the reservation town is that it's the same as the river running along where I live as well as there being a national park of the same name with some 1,000 year old Creek structures/mounds. Plus I went there (the nat'l park, not the city in Oklahoma) yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    it's different when it comes from an American, particularly a fellow southerner.

but yes, eventually I did get the point.
    Howdy, whatever happened to the Southern love? I thought you all joined in with each other in the flag waving and complaining about 'The War of Northern Aggression'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Howdy, whatever happened to the Southern love? I thought you all joined in with each other in the flag waving and complaining about 'The War of Northern Aggression'?
    I'm amused to see that phrase survives outside the south.

But c'mon, if someone trashes where you're from and how you talk aren't you more likely to punch 'em in the face than to reminisce, particularly if you're both from the same region? At any rate, being southern doesn't preclude one from being an idiot (which is self-evident when considering our president) or a snob or any other quality that would trump common background.

ReputationRep:
    I'm amused to see that phrase survives outside the south.

But c'mon, if someone trashes where you're from and how you talk aren't you more likely to punch 'em in the face than to reminisce, particularly if you're both from the same region? At any rate, being southern doesn't preclude one from being an idiot (which is self-evident when considering our president) or a snob or any other quality that would trump common background.
    I presumed people actually using the above name for the war was pretty good evidence of stupidity. As for why I know it... Maybe I have Southern roots too with my Stetson and my howdys.

I take the piss out of my own region all the time. It has a reputation for isloated ruralness and inbreeding. A couple of weeks ago on the train to London we were delayed because of a flock of sheep on the line :yep: (this was a proper mainline railway, not some one track branchline).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I presumed people actually using the above name for the war was pretty good evidence of stupidity. As for why I know it... Maybe I have Southern roots too with my Stetson and my howdys.
    Well I've only ever heard that term for the war used tongue-in-cheek.

I was late for a meeting once because the whole of a 16 lane Atlanta freeway was blocked by some cows that got loose.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've only ever heard that term for the war used tongue-in-cheek.

I was late for a meeting once because the whole of a 16 lane Atlanta freeway was blocked by some cows that got loose.
    That's nothing, I was late for a meeting once because the whole road had stopped so that drivers could listen to the sound of the inbreeding from a nearby farmhouse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    That's nothing, I was late for a meeting once because the whole road had stopped so that drivers could listen to the sound of the inbreeding from a nearby farmhouse.
    now that is something I need to experience.

ReputationRep:
    No, no it's really not.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    You haven't already?
    Look mate, we know you're a Texan now. It's all over. We know your kind like Sarah Palin and such. Come back when you have a cut glass accent. Only those that feel insecure about their social positions themselves need to mock Georgians.

ReputationRep:
    You have to forgive me for being slightly defensive - my whole family's been within 100 miles of where we currently live for over 300 years. I have strong ties to the geography and I identify with the culture even moreso, which makes me little trigger happy.
    I can't have been the only person who laughed at how strangely appropriate that was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Look mate, we know you're a Texan now.
    Actually I'm Welsh. Llygwdd ap Ddyfwpp Llyddoddd Gwened.
    We know your kind like Sarah Palin and such.
    I don't. Any woman who names her kids the way she does ought to be sent to an asylum.
    Come back when you have a cut glass accent.
    I do, and so does Mater.
    Only those that feel insecure about their social positions themselves need to mock Georgians.
    I am insecure. Caught between the worlds of the Burghers and Gentry. However, everyone mocks Georgians. It unites the country, from Alaska to Florida.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't already?
    Like I said, I'm not from Texas. Or Arkansas. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    I can't have been the only person who laughed at how strangely appropriate that was.
    Full disclosure: Shooting ranges are fun, and I'm an unusually good shot.

ReputationRep:
    However, everyone mocks Georgians. It unites the country, from Alaska to Florida.
    That's not true - everyone mocks Alabamans. And Arkansas (ians? what do you even call a person from Arkansas?). And Oklahoma.

ReputationRep:
    That's not true - everyone mocks Alabamans. And Arkansas (ians? what do you even call a person from Arkansas?). And Oklahoma.
    Oh the mockery of Alabama. So much fun, and usually so accurate.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you were taking the piss out of Kettensagenmassaker, you could be accused of being up the Creek without a piddle.

ReputationRep:
    Full disclosure: Shooting ranges are fun, and I'm an unusually good shot.
    Can't criticise - I'm thinking of taking up rifle-shooting at uni myself.

I don't. Any woman who names her kids the way she does ought to be sent to an asylum.
    You can easily tell the Texans from the sane people - they're the ones who think the worst thing about Palin is that her kids have funny names :p:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.