?
Report 10 years ago
RHUL by a long way.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arrogant Git)
Trouble is, some idiots built a city in the middle of our campus.
:rofl: I was wondering why so many city universities were mentioned on this thread.

I've never been to the university itself, but I know that Middlesex is pretty much in Trent Park which is very pretty indeed
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love Nottingham. :yep:
Broadsword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apart from Oxbridge most british universities are by and large complete dumps, I mean what the hell is wrong with a neo-gothic palace. Seeing as a uni will be around for centuries they should really build new buildings in grand architecture rather than cheap, efficient new designs, looks horrible. I cant help feel that a uni like Warwick, however good, would be considered really world class if it had grand neo-gothic architecture, cos old unis tend to look more 'prestigious.' . They should all do what Yale did when it was formed, put acid in the buildings to make them look older, much better!lol
fraternité
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Broadsword)
Apart from Oxbridge most british universities are by and large complete dumps, I mean what the hell is wrong with a neo-gothic palace. Seeing as a uni will be around for centuries they should really build new buildings in grand architecture rather than cheap, efficient new designs, looks horrible. I cant help feel that a uni lie Warwick, however good, would be considered really world class if it had grand neo-gothic architecture, cos old unis tend to look more 'prestigious.'
So you think pastiche architecture would improve its reputation?

Pastiche architecture is a real sign of poor taste.
fraternité
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by will1989)
where's that?:confused:
It's Greenwich.
Broadsword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fraternité)
So you think pastiche architecture would improve its reputation?

Pastiche architecture is a real sign of poor taste.
Yes I do think it would improve its rep, make it look very 'grand'. Modern unis look like an industrial estate not an esteemed seat of learning. Take Nottingham for example, when building its new China campus it decided to make it look impressive by copying the trent building and incorporating an old style architectural design, rather than going with dour glass plate, more unis should do that when expanding
fraternité
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes I do think it would improve its rep, make it look very 'grand'. Modern unis look like an industrial estate not an esteemed seat of learning.
In my opinion it would look cheap and tacky, but there you go.
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Turdburger)
How about us?
Nah, tries to hard. Oxford's far too English Gothic. Whereas Cambridge has the best example of an English Gothic building anywhere and then, having perfected one style, moved on to all manner of others.
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fraternité)
In my opinion it would look cheap and tacky, but there you go.
As demonstrated by:
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apart from Oxbridge most british universities are by and large complete dumps.
Seriously? What about the rest of the ancients (St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh). If you like your neo-Gothic architecture then it's certainly in no short supply in Glasgow and Aberdeen particularly). Have you ever visited them?

Cardiff's main building, plus a few others (like the Glamorgan building) are wonder white, neo-classical architecture and occupies the civic centre.

Durham's overrated architecturely (not academically :p: ). The science campus and Hill colleges are just your typical post-war modernist buildings. It still owns a World Heritage Site, one of the oldest continously inhabited university buildings in the world (apparently) and Geogrian townhouses.

Any university, including Oxford and Cambridge, has a few ugly buildings. I think you're being very unfair.

I'm aware that most of those are city unis and not campus unis. But Broadsword made no distinction.
Arrogant Git
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Durham's overrated
Just think that should be preserved for posterity. :p:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

i love the backs! :yep:

look at any of these too:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/cambridge-gallery.htm

I completely agree with Arrogant Git lol - if only they moved the city elsewhere slightly.

Its a bit like a campus uni, i guess.
Attached files
Broadsword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Seriously? What about the rest of the ancients (St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh). If you like your neo-Gothic architecture then it's certainly in no short supply in Glasgow and Aberdeen particularly). Have you ever visited them?

Cardiff's main building, plus a few others (like the Glamorgan building) are wonder white, neo-classical architecture and occupies the civic centre.

Durham's overrated architecturely (not academically :p: ). The science campus and Hill colleges are just your typical post-war modernist buildings. It still owns a World Heritage Site, one of the oldest continously inhabited university buildings in the world (apparently) and Geogrian townhouses.

Any university, including Oxford and Cambridge, has a few ugly buildings. I think you're being very unfair.

I'm aware that most of those are city unis and not campus unis. But Broadsword made no distinction.
I was just generalising. Yes some universities have very grand 'parts' i can think of UCL, Newcastle,Durham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, B'ham, Nottingham, etc. The point was if you look at a good 75% of these universities, the rest of them are awful 60's concrete jungles, why could they not have build architecture that fits in with the old style. If you look at top American universitites, even their new buildings fit in with the old ones. JUst seems like they put economy over any longer term objectives. If universities in the top 15 or so in rankings looked just like OXbridge, then i think we would all say that the gap between them isnt as big as it is. Oxbridge not only seems better academically, but looks a hell of a lot more sucessful becasue of its architecture
apotoftea
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
League tables don't measure the niceness of campuses

So i was wondering what my fellow forum guests of TheStudentRoom rank as the nicest campus

I rank KCL as the best, however it will be a delight to hear what you all have to say.
Which one?! King's doesn't really have a campus, it has 4 sites scattered around the city.

RHUL's campus is nice around Founders and the accommodation side, the actual teaching buildings arn't the prettiest.
hanfromman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
plymouth! it's not particularly green, but the buildings are very attractive and modern
fraternité
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arrogant Git)
As demonstrated by:
There is a difference between 'revival' and 'pastiche', my friend, and if you think there are artisanal architects abound ready to launch a new gothic revival, I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: That is the building round the back of John's, right?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was just generalising. Yes some universities have very grand 'parts' i can think of UCL, Newcastle, Durham, Glasgow, Edinburgh, B'ham, Nottingham, etc.
Newcastle have Durham to thank for that. They've undergone great expansion since their independence but much of their buildings during that time has been the typical bland, modernist rubbish. Nothing matches the quadrangle that dates back to its time as a Durham teaching college.

Then again, Newcastle (the city's) architecture is great than Durham's any day (or all but one or two cities) :yep:

In these sorts of threads I usually mention the Royal Agricultural College but few know what it is so.....
wizz_kid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard that warwick has a very good campus.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads