Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm surprised by the amount of people who think i'm being unreasonable. I don't think i'm homophobic, but when they're really camp like this guy they piss me off and I think alot of people would be uncomfortable with the idea of two gay blokes having sex in the same house as you. I'll have a talk with my possible housemates and see what happens.
    Hence, homophobic. :rolleyes:

If you were just unwilling to live with someone who was camp and annoying, that's not a problem, but you went out of your way to bring sexuality into, and admit that you wouldn't want him bringing guys back, so yes, you are being homophobic.

I'm a guy at uni and have been starting to look at houses to live in for next year. I'm possibly going to share with 4 close friends and a 5th person who is a friend of one of the 4. When I met the 5th person recently I could tell he was gay straight away (the way he spoke, clothes etc). Later on he eventually said he was gay.
    I spoke to one of my friends and said I wasn't sure if I wanted to go ahead with the move if this gay bloke was moving in too. I said I wasn't comfortable around him, found him irritating and didn't want him bringing back loads of guys into my house. My friend then accused me of being homophobic and unreasonable and he said think about it for a while and tell me what you want to do. I don't think i'm being unreasonable at all. Surely alot of people wouldn't want to share a house for 1 or 2 years with a gay bloke. Am I being unreasonable?
    I don't think you are being to unreasonable. I am gay and I find alot of other gay people very, very irritating. Especially if you say you could tell straight away. If I was to live in a house with a straight guy I would definetly know my boundaries and be aware that he may be awkward around the whole situation but try to make it alot less so.

I do think you are being unreasonable if you are not living there because you don't want him brining back guys. Presumably you would want to bring back women and to say he shouldn't have sex with men is not really fair.

Saying that I most certainly would not want to live with a camp gay guy. It's your life, if you think you might stick a spanner into his skull it's probably best not to move in with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Breeders have sex! :eek: Gross. :p:
    Vile, isn't it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    My brother was the same when he moved into a house, he avoided a perfectly good place because one of the guys was gay. It wouldn't matter at all to me, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm surprised by the amount of people who think i'm being unreasonable. I don't think i'm homophobic, but when they're really camp like this guy they piss me off and I think alot of people would be uncomfortable with the idea of two gay blokes having sex in the same house as you. I'll have a talk with my possible housemates and see what happens.
    In a year at Uni - in a house of 8 people (3 straight females and 4 straight males and 1 gay male (me)) - I was the only not to have sex in my room (through choice - it wouldn't have been a problem).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Surely you were annoyed at the fact you were woken up by two people having sex? The sexual orientation of the couple should have had nothing to do with it. Would you have been less annoyed if you heard two inconsiderate sods doing the doggy position?

Likewise, the fact you didn't enjoy living with the gay man has nothing to do with him being a homosexual and has everything to do with the fact you probably disliked his character. Gay people vary from person to person as do straight.

I do agree that the OP has the right to decide with who he/she lives with. The reason behind that choice isn't irrelevant though. This thread could just as easily be about not wanting to live with someone because they are Black or Muslim.

Discrimination is never acceptable, be it on the grounds or race, sex, age, religion or in this case sexual orientation.
    Personally, I find the idea of two blokes messing around together repulsive.
    Whilst I'm not questioning their right to do w/e it is they want to do I did object to being subjected to it and having it thrust in my face.

You are wrong in that the reasoning matters.
    You are NOT obliged to live with anyone. If you do not wish to live with a person because they are X then that is your perogative.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not see that refusing to live with somebody due to their sexual orientation is ridiculous? Would you feel the same if one was black or a Muslim? Or do you not discriminate against them?

I hope your friends haven't mentioned to the gay housemate that you don't want to live with him due to his orientation. He must feel terrible if they have. He shouldn't be discriminated against.

Also, for some strange reason I have a feeling you wouldn't feel this way if one was a good looking Lesbian with an equally attractive girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Would you have the same problem if it was a man and a women?
    Tbh it sounds like you have a problem with living with someone who is gay not that you dont like him for his personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Personally, I find the idea of two blokes messing around together repulsive.
    Whilst I'm not questioning their right to do w/e it is they want to do I did object to being subjected to it and having it thrust in my face.

You are wrong in that the reasoning matters.
    You are NOT obliged to live with anyone. If you do not wish to live with a person because they are X then that is your perogative.
    I still fail to see how it is "thrust in your face". I certainly would never flaunt my sexuality and make you hear about my sexual escapades. I'm sure many gay and straight people wouldn't either.

I know you are NOT obliged to live with somebody, but surely you can understand that discriminating against somebody due to race, colour or orientation is fundamentally wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I hope your friends haven't mentioned to the gay housemate that you don't want to live with him due to his orientation. He must feel terrible if they have. He shouldn't be discriminated against.
    You see I would prefer to be away of the potential problem and speak to him about it. I wouldn't feel awful about it at all (as I don't feel I would have any need to). I would hope to speak to him about it and discuss it.

ReputationRep:
    You see I would prefer to be away of the potential problem and speak to him about it. I wouldn't feel awful about it at all (as I don't feel I would have any need to). I would hope to speak to him about it and discuss it.
    Whilst I can understand your reasoning, I personally would be devastated to find out that somebody didn't want to live with me due to my sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I can understand your reasoning, I personally would be devastated to find out that somebody didn't want to live with me due to my sexual orientation.
    I wouldn't be in the slightest and I would certainly be glad to have found out before we moved in together.

ReputationRep:
    I still fail to see how it is "thrust in your face". I certainly would never flaunt my sexuality and make you hear about my sexual escapades. I'm sure many gay and straight people wouldn't either.

I know you are NOT obliged to live with somebody, but surely you can understand that discriminating against somebody due to race, colour or orientation is fundamentally wrong?
    Who mentioned race or colour?

If you announce to someone in polite conversation that you are gay how is that NOT thrusting your sexuality in someone elses face?
    I had this happen the other day... talking to a bloke that I met in university. Having a reasonable conversation and he felt the need to tag on to the end of a sentence "...and by the way I'm gay".
    To which I replied "what did you tell me that for" Him "Just incase you were wondering" " I wasn't and I didn't need to know".
    The conversation ended there.

I don't NEED to know that X takes it up the chuff.
    I don't tag on to my sentences "and by the way I'm heterosexual".
    Why? It doesn't NEED to be discussed and I dont feel the need to thrust my sexual orientation in other peoples faces.

I'm sorry but the OP has the right to come up with any reason they wish NOT to live with someone.
    They don't drive
    They smell
    They eat only tomato soup
    They own S club 7 CD's

Pick a reason!

It's like you are arguing that they HAVE to live with this person when that just simply isn't the case.

Would you feel the same if one was black or a Muslim? Or do you not discriminate against them?
    Why have you brought race into this? I have no problem with ethnic minorities, infact one of my possible housemates is Indian. It's ridiculous to discriminate people because of their race.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be in the slightest and I would certainly be glad to have found out before we moved in together.
    I have a problem with the fact that I could be treated like a 2nd class citizen or a leper due to my sexual orientation, which is no more a significant aspect of my character than being straight is to a hetrosexual.

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with the fact that I could be treated like a 2nd class citizen or a leper due to my sexual orientation, which is no more a significant aspect of my character than being straight is to a hetrosexual.
    I take completely the contrasting viewpoint. I agree being gay is no more a significant part of my character than if I was straight and I am not defined by it.

If someone is ignorant enough to judge me based on that - it is their loss and certainly not mine and I have no intention at all of worrying about it.

ReputationRep:
    I moved into my house with 2 guys I didn't know (problems with landlords meant we all had to move and find somewhere quick) Anyway, one of the guys is gay. He's also in his early 50s. I have to say at first I wasn't too sure just because it was rather unexpected but on the whole he's a lot more considerate than my other housemate who's straight. It means he cleans up more and is relatively more quiet...is also means, however, that he's our landlady's lapdog and *****es to her every other day so it's give and take really. I don't spend any time with him, mainly due to the age difference though, but on the whole I don't see how it's a problem

ReputationRep:
    Why have you brought race into this? I have no problem with ethnic minorities, infact one of my possible housemates is Indian. It's ridiculous to discriminate people because of their race.
    Please tell me that you recognise the irony in saying it is ridiculous to discriminate against people because of their race but yet you are willing to discriminate against somebody due to their sexual orientation?

ALL forms of discrimination are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I shall be living with a gay guy soon and though I'm a girl, my 2 other rommates are straight guys and are pretty uncomfortable with it, so I totally understand your situation. They basically said what you said, with the bringing back guys etc. Thats our main concern atm, not becuase of the gay thing, but because he is a bit of a man whore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Who mentioned race or colour?

If you announce to someone in polite conversation that you are gay how is that NOT thrusting your sexuality in someone elses face?
    I had this happen the other day... talking to a bloke that I met in university. Having a reasonable conversation and he felt the need to tag on to the end of a sentence "...and by the way I'm gay".
    To which I replied "what did you tell me that for" Him "Just incase you were wondering" " I wasn't and I didn't need to know".
    The conversation ended there.

I don't NEED to know that X takes it up the chuff.
    I don't tag on to my sentences "and by the way I'm heterosexual".
    Why? It doesn't NEED to be discussed and I dont feel the need to thrust my sexual orientation in other peoples faces.

I'm sorry but the OP has the right to come up with any reason they wish NOT to live with someone.
    They don't drive
    They smell
    They eat only tomato soup
    They own S club 7 CD's

Pick a reason!

It's like you are arguing that they HAVE to live with this person when that just simply isn't the case.
    My point is that discriminating against a sexual orientation is just like discriminating against somebodys colour or religion. They are equally offensive and hurtfull.

Regarding the person who unnecessarily informed you he way gay: He is not indicative of the gay population. You will find both hetro/homosexual idiots.

I'm not saying they HAVE to live with that person. I am however saying that not living with someone because of their sexual orientation is slightly ridiculous and is very offensive and hurtfull to the person in question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.