Turn on thread page Beta

The most Dangerous University in Britain! watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the most dangerous University in Britain?
    The University of Nottingham
    28.28%
    The University of Manchester
    10.25%
    The University of Glasgow
    16.39%
    Queen Mary, University of London
    21.72%
    Other
    23.36%

ReputationRep:
    they dont call nottingham shottingham for a reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakata)
    I never really feel unsafe here apart from walking from home to the bus stop/the other way round if it's dark, just because there's no one around. In the centre there's aaaaaaalways people around, so I never get worried waiting for buses and stuff, and the shootings I hear of are like (a couple of weeks ago for instance) a young guy wandering around in an alleyway in Moss Side. *shrugs* That said, I read in the MEN yesterday that someone got stabbed in Burger King in Piccadilly (?) and people just kept on eating/watching, AND it was really busy
    I've lived there 21 years and only had problems once, and we were "asking" for it by walking through a dodgy area at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :rofl:

Give me an area with a bit of character (like East London/Tower Hamlets/Mile End) over an overrated, crowded and still high-crime areas like Bloomsbury.

If you go out looking for trouble then you'll find it wherever you are. Take the obvious precautions and, even in these "rough" areas, it's unlikely you'll be a victim of crime.

When it does come to these cities and their deprived areas, how many students will really have much to do with them anyway?
    Bloomsbury is one of the most historically relevant and beautiful areas of London. the high crime you refer to is mostly drug and drink related because its surrounded by euston, camden, and kings cross.

if by character you refer to run down 60's architecture and neighborhoods that resemble Bangladesh then go ahead and live in tower hamlets, i'll stick to the dangerous "high crime" area of Bloomsbury :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Secretly I believe that its Oxford!! Due to all the working class individuals...

You've been warned!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon Liverpool University.

I lived in Manchester (Greater to be exact) none the less, it is safe. I have never been stabbed or shot at. Just don't go looking for trouble and your alright. In fact, I have been Salford, nowts happened to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thames Valley University :toilet:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Depends wether you are talking about teeside the uni or the area.

Stockon is in teeside, so comes with the associated roughness, despite being part of a good university, non?
    River85 has my back on this one :p:

See, us Duzza biatches is kanin it up all over this mutha frikking place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    brrrap brrrap.

Highest density of Coke per capita is probably St Andrews. But none of those in your list are the most dangerous in Britain.
    Diet Coke?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow uni is actually in the west end of Glasgow which is seen as a very high class and surprisingly beautiful are. You have lots of cafes and trendy bars there.. just dont stray to the east side of Glasgow, now thats where your crackheads are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    I live in Manchester and must ask... When the hell has it ever been known as 'Gunchester'? I know only of Nottingham being known as 'Shottingham'.

The majority of people in Manchester are fine, especially on nights out - as the annoying ones can't afford to go out. There is also a massive amount of police on the streets at night so no worries here.
    How are not being able to afford to go out and being annoying related?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnbrown)
    st andrews
    Most peaceful Uni. They're the last place to start a fight. lol. I was at the Old Course the day pretending to be posh n'rich. Didn't work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    drama school is bloody dangerous. seriously, *****es will kill for roles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    Bloomsbury is one of the most historically relevant and beautiful areas of London. the high crime you refer to is mostly drug and drink related because its surrounded by euston, camden, and kings cross.

if by character you refer to run down 60's architecture and neighborhoods that resemble Bangladesh then go ahead and live in tower hamlets, i'll stick to the dangerous "high crime" area of Bloomsbury :yep:
    I wouldn't really chose either, but (even for London) Bloomsbury is noisy and crowded and, as you've brought architecture into it, on the whole it's rather plain compared to other parts of London or cities like Newcastle or Bath. If it's not a car or bus that's trying to mow you down then it's people trying to walk through you. Absolutely no way of escaping it and feeling trapped. This is prevalent across many London borough, that's true, but particularly bad in an area with such a large population density.

Great museums and a great history. Somewhere to look forward to going when visiting but not somewhere I can ever see myself living.

By character I mean that Tower Hamlets is warmer, friendlier and not quite as stressful. Crime doesn't really come into it with either location as I really don't think it's that much of an issue. It's just many deride Mile End and Tower Hamlets as being filled with backwards, crime infested slums and place Bloomsbury up on a pedestal (you still admit Bloomsbury has drink and drug fueled crime. Just because it's surrounded by certain areas doesn't excuse it).
    I don't really

But, like I said, I wouldn't chose to live in either. Give me Durham, Bath, Cardiff, Newcastle or Glasgow any day of the week.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    x
    Thought you might like this thread

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow... Because I'm there, and I'm a mad barsteward (since you get warned for avoiding the swear filter, I can't say basta... oh.)

Yes, Glasgow is the knife crime capital of the EU, and is 4th on Crime levels in Europe. Happily, 88% of it is in the Eastern half of the city, over five miles and around an hour and a half's walk from the University. I am reliably told once walking there though, you either don't have to walk back because you're in a wheelchair, or you can run it while chased in around 27seconds. This neck of the woods though, is one of the safest places in any major city.

Once I re-introduce the duck billed platypus into the local wildlife though, that will all change. You have been warned.

ReputationRep:
    Life without danger is insipid. Just look at all the inane sheep around you.

Ooh, I'm having a bit of a misanthropic day today...

ReputationRep:
    People have this warped vision of Glasgow. I can't speak for any of the other cities, but I'm pretty sure none of them are as bad as people make out. Glasgow, like any city is safe if you keep your wits about you. I've never experienced any trouble here.

As for Glasgow Uni itself, it's situated in one of the safest parts of Glasgow. Seriously, the west end is lovely . I assume most of the people making remarks like "shottingham" etc probably havn't lived in these cities.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow Uni's in the West End FFS. Probably, actually, no probably about it, is the safest area in the City- I think I'm yet to see my first piece of "-YT" graffiti. It's only really dangerous if you're Neil Lennon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I wouldn't really chose either, but (even for London) Bloomsbury is noisy and crowded and, as you've brought architecture into it, on the whole it's rather plain compared to other parts of London or cities like Newcastle or Bath. If it's not a car or bus that's trying to mow you down then it's people trying to walk through you. Absolutely no way of escaping it and feeling trapped. This is prevalent across many London borough, that's true, but particularly bad in an area with such a large population density.

Great museums and a great history. Somewhere to look forward to going when visiting but not somewhere I can ever see myself living.

By character I mean that Tower Hamlets is warmer, friendlier and not quite as stressful. Crime doesn't really come into it with either location as I really don't think it's that much of an issue. It's just many deride Mile End and Tower Hamlets as being filled with backwards, crime infested slums and place Bloomsbury up on a pedestal (you still admit Bloomsbury has drink and drug fueled crime. Just because it's surrounded by certain areas doesn't excuse it).
    I don't really
    Thou art a scholar, and an enlightened soul :tongue: You make an excellent point, Tower Hamlets is not all Mile End Road...the back streets contain as much Georgian architechture, quiet Squares, open spaces and greenery as any part of Bloomsbury. And there's a lot of history and character in Tower Hamlets and the East End all in all, what with the Docks, Cable Street, Brick Lane, etc.

Playing football on Mile End Park on a warm Spring day is lovely...mostly because if you find the right area in the park you won't even hear/see the traffic. Parts of East London really are very underrated, and people need to put aside their preconceptions a little :yes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sweetdarling)
    I assume most of the people making remarks like "shottingham" etc probably havn't lived in these cities.
    Some of these places do have a reputation for a reason. That said, every time I've been to Nottingham I've actually really liked it as a place.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Nottingham city centre was actually ok and it was only all the council estates on the outskirts that were dodgy? I was thinking about looking at it but maybe not after this feedback lol.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.