The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

UniOfLife
Yeah, and you don't admit that you're posting in French when you clearly are.

(for those who don't understand - simply saying something is "clearly" true doesn't make it true. And for the truly dense - genocide is the concerted effort to kill all members of one "race" or ethnic group which, if that had been Israel's attempt, would make them the most inept army in the entire history of the universe. After all, isn't Gaza just one open air prison of defenceless people just waiting to be slaughtered and yet Israel in their attempted "genocide" managed to kill about 0.1% of the population).

In short, please don't make fools of yourselves by talking about genocides.

Genocide doesn't have to mean the whole group:

While precise definition varies among genocide scholars, a legal definition is found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2, of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."[1]

I don't think they committed genocide in Gaza, btw or have any intention of doing so. The worst they could have done there is intentionally caused mass civillian deaths in order to frighten and sudue the occupied population of Gaza. As the former foreign minister Tzipi Livni said, "they must believe that Israel will go wild" - (by 'going wild' I assume she didn't mean taking all due care to avoid innocent civillians).

I think they plan to remove most or all the Palestinian population of the West Bank by force (by pushing them into Jordan) when the opportunity arises, but they would never commit genocide in my view.
It's about ******* time.
Reply 82
Meus
Some of the comments on the original story's website are sick.

"It's a war right?"

"And?".

It's sickening; the worse comment was made by a zionist MP or something and it was "We don't blame you for killing our sons, we blame you for making us kill yours"
Reply 83
UniOfLife
Yeah, and you don't admit that you're posting in French when you clearly are.

(for those who don't understand - simply saying something is "clearly" true doesn't make it true. And for the truly dense - genocide is the concerted effort to kill all members of one "race" or ethnic group which, if that had been Israel's attempt, would make them the most inept army in the entire history of the universe. After all, isn't Gaza just one open air prison of defenceless people just waiting to be slaughtered and yet Israel in their attempted "genocide" managed to kill about 0.1% of the population).

In short, please don't make fools of yourselves by talking about genocides.

No your right, better call it the slaughter of anyone who is palestinian...it was a warning to palestinians that they should beware....and all of it for the election!
And do you really think that if Israel was to even think about killing as many palestinians as they could, countries would stand by and watch? You forget how well they fought against Hezbollah!
Reply 84
Bateman
It's sickening; the worse comment was made by a zionist MP or something and it was "We don't blame you for killing our sons, we blame you for making us kill yours"

there would be outrage if al Qaeda said this .... unbelievable hatred of the Palestinians by the hardcore zionists.
How the hell can peace be achieved if this is what the israeli govt are thinking.
We all knew it, but now it's just out in the open.
In a way it's good because now all the ignorant people are more aware and know the real truth.

It's disgusting. I can't believe the whole world watched this go on for 22 days, watching hundreds die a day and no one did anything.
Cowardly.
Reply 86
AMillionFilaments
We all knew it, but now it's just out in the open.
In a way it's good because now all the ignorant people are more aware and know the real truth.

It's disgusting. I can't believe the whole world watched this go on for 22 days, watching hundreds die a day and no one did anything.
Cowardly.

Yup, even the Arab countries would rather have sat back and watched it happen all because they thought that Hamas, which is back by Iran and they don't really like Iran, would be wiped out and hated. Didn't work in the summer of 2006, didn't work this time round either...
CrazyDancingElf
Genocide doesn't have to mean the whole group:

While precise definition varies among genocide scholars, a legal definition is found in the 1948 United Nations Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (CPPCG). Article 2, of this convention defines genocide as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."[1]

I don't think they committed genocide in Gaza, btw or have any intention of doing so. The worst they could have done there is intentionally caused mass civillian deaths in order to frighten and sudue the occupied population of Gaza. As the former foreign minister Tzipi Livni said, "they must believe that Israel will go wild" - (by 'going wild' I assume she didn't mean taking all due care to avoid innocent civillians).

Well, I think you run the risk of devaluing the word. After all, if I kill one Arab is that genocide since he forms part of an ethnic group? Hardly.
Bateman

Oh dear. You completely missed the point.

The statement (by Golda Meir I believe) expresses the point that the Israelis don't want to have to kill anyone but feel that they are left with no choice as only killing others secures their own safety.

No wonder Israel has such bad PR when people cannot understand simple statements. How you could possibly think this is a bad statement is beyond me. Honestly, sometimes the hysteria of the Israel-haters is astounding.
s c u m
Reply 90
UniOfLife

The statement (by Golda Meir I believe) expresses the point that the Israelis don't want to have to kill anyone but feel that they are left with no choice as only killing others secures their own safety.

No wonder Israel has such bad PR when people cannot understand simple statements. How you could possibly think this is a bad statement is beyond me. Honestly, sometimes the hysteria of the Israel-haters is astounding.

lmao, don't try to justify it, i didn't miss any point i understood it.

Israel has bad Pr because it treats the palestinians like dirt and is filled with zionists like peeweedan who are a disgrace.
Bateman

Israel has bad Pr because it treats the palestinians like dirt and is filled with zionists like peeweedan who are a disgrace.

Pray tell what you understood. From my understanding of English she is saying that for Israelis it is worse to kill Palestinian children than to have Palestinians kill Israeli children. How have you understood it?
Reply 92
Bateman

hear hear
UniOfLife
Well, I think you run the risk of devaluing the word. After all, if I kill one Arab is that genocide since he forms part of an ethnic group? Hardly.

I'm not devaluing the word by offering the proper definition and correcting yours. The fact that I said I didn't think Israel was committing genocide in Gaza should have caused you to realise that I don't think killing one person can qualify as genocide.
ameeso
hear hear

Here here to Ad Hominem before I post anything...
Reply 95
We don't blame you for killing our sons, we blame you for making us kill your sons.

Very simple sentence, how can you not understand it uol?
Reply 96
UniOfLife

Bad PR? No I really don't think this is anything about publicity or propaganda, what they did is wrong, end of. Keeping Gaza under seige is wrong, end of. I don't know whether the Israeli government is stupid or just cunning, the don't want to open the borders so that will leave many people in palestine with nothing to do except for build rockets and fire them into Israel, the people responsible for what is happening to them...that seems understandable. All this because they claim that they will re-arm themselves. Well with such a neighbour as Israel can anyone blame them for wanting to buy arms?
Reply 97
PeeWeeDan
Here here to Ad Hominem before I post anything...

oh its u again. hmph
UniOfLife

Golda Meir's famous quote does attribute the blame for deaths on both sides with the Palestinians, that's what's wrong with it.

"We can perhaps forgive you for killing our sons, but we can never forgive you for making us kill your sons".
Reply 99
UniOfLife

yeah mate, thats why people hate israel. good one.

Latest

Trending

Trending