OCR MEI D1 17th June Watch

matt2k8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
Can D1 be put into further maths?

And do the modules FP1, FP2, DE have to be in further maths?
yes to both
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
Can D1 be put into further maths?

And do the modules FP1, FP2, DE have to be in further maths?
FP1, FP2, DE are fixed Further Maths.

D1 can float where it likes.

(Original post by Internet Addict)
My maths and further maths are with different boards so our modules can't be swapped
Shame, nice to have the choice though.
Chriz M
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only FP1, and FP2 need to be put in Further Maths, not necessarily DE. D1 can be in either Further Maths or Maths.

I don't think you can have anything other than C1-4, and 2 of (D1, S1, M1, M2, S2)
Internet Addict
Report 9 years ago
Yeah D1 can be put in AS further maths. We did FP1, D1 and S2. FP2 is for A2 and DE is optional. Next year we are doing M2 and FP2 and 3.
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh right ok.

I'm trying to work out what I need approximately in D1 to get an A in further maths.

I have high marks in C1-4, and I think I did poorly on M2, so M1 and M2 would most like go into Maths right?
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chriz M)
Only FP1, and FP2 need to be put in Further Maths, not necessarily DE. D1 can be in either Further Maths or Maths.
No, DE has to stay in Further because it requires application/use of complex numbers. Such knowledge was withdrawn from the normal maths pure modules.
Internet Addict
Report 9 years ago
Anyone else doing maths and further maths with different boards?
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jayshah31)
No, DE has to stay in Further because it requires application/use of complex numbers. Such knowledge was withdrawn from the normal maths pure modules.
I think I misunderstood the question, I thought the question was do you have to do DE for Further Maths, not can you only do it with further maths. I didn't know that DE has complex numbers in it, is it hard?
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chriz M)
I think I misunderstood the question, I thought the question was do you have to do DE for Further Maths, not can you only do it with further maths. I didn't know that DE has complex numbers in it, is it hard?
Oh, I see. But yes, if you are going to do it, it's only valid for Further.

DE is the sexiest module known to man. It's really easy (and I'm far closer to the stupid end than the smart end of my further maths class) and if it wasn't for that module I'd have missed my offer easily.

You can actually escape the use of complex numbers (i.e. you don't actually demonstrate them in the exam) but for completeness, they are present mid-way through the proofs of solutions (again, which you jump to in an exam) so without knowledge it would be very patchy.

If anyone else is reading this, if your school won't do DE, self-teach. No joke, it's bloody awesome. It's also really interesting too, and makes the last chapter of C4 a total breeze (it's taken from the first few chapters of DE word-for-word basically).

:drool:
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Internet Addict)
Anyone else doing maths and further maths with different boards?
I think it's relatively rare to be honest given that it's aggregation that is going to save me from failure. What exam board is your single ("normal") maths?
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh, I see. But yes, if you are going to do it, it's only valid for Further.

DE is the sexiest module known to man. It's really easy (and I'm far closer to the stupid end than the smart end of my further maths class) and if it wasn't for that module I'd have missed my offer easily.

You can actually escape the use of complex numbers (i.e. you don't actually demonstrate them in the exam) but for completeness, they are present mid-way through the proofs of solutions (again, which you jump to in an exam) so without knowledge it would be very patchy.

If anyone else is reading this, if your school won't do DE, self-teach. No joke, it's bloody awesome. It's also really interesting too, and makes the last chapter of C4 a total breeze (it's taken from the first few chapters of DE word-for-word basically).

:drool:
Yeah we did DE in January at the same time as C3 and C4 so most of the calculus in C3 was dead easy, as the the differential equations bit in C4.

Anyone got an answer to my question above?
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
Yeah we did DE in January at the same time as C3 and C4 so most of the calculus in C3 was dead easy, as the the differential equations bit in C4.

Anyone got an answer to my question above?
Oh really? I heard/read it's rare for centres to enter for DE in January. Puts you slightly worse off given this year's FP2 paper.

This one?
(Original post by Dan?)
I'm trying to work out what I need approximately in D1 to get an A in further maths.

I have high marks in C1-4, and I think I did poorly on M2, so M1 and M2 would most like go into Maths right?
They maximise your pair. Easiest way to work it out: Find the pair that gives the lowest A in normal maths (i.e. closest to 480) then use the rest in Further. M2 requires M1 in single maths so basically if C1-4+M1-2 is not > 479 you have problems.
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh really? I heard/read it's rare for centres to enter for DE in January. Puts you slightly worse off given this year's FP2 paper.

This one?

They maximise your pair. Easiest way to work it out: Find the pair that gives the lowest A in normal maths (i.e. closest to 480) then use the rest in Further. M2 requires M1 in single maths so basically if C1-4+M1-2 is not > 479 you have problems.
I have an excuse for doing so badly on FP2 now haha.

Yeah I already have 480 from C1-4 + M1, so M2 would go with that, unless I do worse on D1 than M2, right?
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
I have an excuse for doing so badly on FP2 now haha.
:no:

(Original post by Dan?)
Yeah I already have 480 from C1-4 + M1, so M2 would go with that, unless I do worse on D1 than M2, right?
In short: yes

In long: no. JCQ have changed it so your modules re-aggregated giving you the highest UMS in single and lower further with the constraint that you can't get a lower final pair than the one best one (i.e. if it's possible to get AA you will get AA regardless, same for AB, BB, etc ..).

Sorry for the contradiction, but did you like what I did with "constraint"?
dogie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You dont have to pair up i dont think. Ie use M1 in maths and M2 in fmaths
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dogie)
You dont have to pair up i dont think. Ie use M1 in maths and M2 in fmaths
Wrong (added the so I didn't come across as a know-it-all, because I'm not)

Take a look at the specification for the permissible combinations.
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:no:

In short: yes

In long: no. JCQ have changed it so your modules re-aggregated giving you the highest UMS in single and lower further with the constraint that you can't get a lower final pair than the one best one (i.e. if it's possible to get AA you will get AA regardless, same for AB, BB, etc ..).

Sorry for the contradiction, but did you like what I did with "constraint"?
OK so what's difference from the old system is just the UMS aggregations, grades will be the same using either system right?

I assume the constraint bit is referring to linear programming? :woo:
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
OK so what's difference from the old system is just the UMS aggregations, grades will be the same using either system right?

I assume the constraint bit is referring to linear programming? :woo:
Yes.

:woo: Yep :proud:
Dan?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes.

:woo: Yep :proud:
woop. That means I need to get 121 UMS in total from FP2 and D1 for an A in further maths. Hmmmmm.
jayshah31
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan?)
woop. That means I need to get 121 UMS in total from FP2 and D1 for an A in further maths. Hmmmmm.
60 + 61 (*checks with calculator*) should do it. I assume you think you got at least a C in FP2?

Spoiler:
Show
I didn't really, trust me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.89%
No - but I will (87)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.74%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (537)
47.65%

Watched Threads