Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Yes... the exception being - when they can go to a Comprehensive. This will also give them a chance to develop and then they can be streamed accordingly.

Note: A recent survey showed that Finland had the best education system. Finland only has Comprehensive schools.
    The positive point of a grammar school is the atomsphere of learning, which is present...do you think this can always be acheived in a comp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    The positive point of a grammar school is the atomsphere of learning, which is present...do you think this can always be acheived in a comp?
    Within the top class, certainly.
    However, some top classes at Comps are diluted through the existence of Grammars.

ReputationRep:
    However, some top classes at Comps are diluted through the existence of Grammars.
    No, my argument is whether (without the existence of grammar schools) , for example, a bright kid could go into the library in a comp, have an intelligent conversation with somebody and yet not get *done for it*

ReputationRep:
    However, since many streamed comps under perform without grammars in their vincity, is that argument valid?

ReputationRep:
    However, since many streamed comps under perform without grammars in their vincity, is that argument valid?
    There are always extenuating factors. I could also say the same of Grammars.
    Some schools underperform, like many Grammars in my area.

ReputationRep:
    No, my argument is whether (without the existence of grammar schools) , for example, a bright kid could go into the library in a comp, have an intelligent conversation with somebody and yet not get *done for it*
    Im sure he could seeing as those who dont want to learn are very rarely in the library!

ReputationRep:
    There are always extenuating factors. I could also say the same of Grammars.
    Some schools underperform, like many Grammars in my area.
    You used to live in Kent, Canterbury I recall yes?
    Certainly in my area, it is not the case

ReputationRep:
    Im sure he could seeing as those who dont want to learn are very rarely in the library!
    well, would you even dare to walk past those waiting outside the library to nick all you books, punch you in the gut etc.

ReputationRep:
    No Thanet.

Im sure there are good Grammars in your area, like there are good Comps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanet...yes I know of the area..isle of thanet...do you know of a school in Ramsgate called st Lawrence

ReputationRep:
    Thanet...yes I know of the area..isle of thanet...do you know of a school in Ramsgate called st Lawrence
    I used to live in Sandwich

ReputationRep:
    I hated that school when we played them in matches.....

ReputationRep:
    Many comps have outstanding results considering their wide ability range. In fact many also beat grammars hands down. Thomas Telford comp. has for the last few years got 100% at 5 A* - C grades - no mean feat considering nearly 75% would have been 11+ failures!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Many comps have outstanding results considering their wide ability range. In fact many also beat grammars hands down. Thomas Telford comp. has for the last few years got 100% at 5 A* - C grades - no mean feat considering nearly 75% would have been 11+ failures!
    Yet nothing can touch the grammars in my area, including the private schools

ReputationRep:
    No Thanet.

Im sure there are good Grammars in your area, like there are good Comps.
    I would agree that the grammars is your area are not up to scratch

ReputationRep:
    Really? Cool!

Which school did you go to?
    I was at the Ursuline College. Yeah, we hated St Lawrence. When we were playing them at rugby, one of their players told me off for swearing, to which I replied;
    "F*** ***, *** ******* ****".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Exactly.
    I was going to mention certain Comps that are out-performing Grammars even with ability taken into account, but it gets a bit tedious if everyone uses their own example.

ReputationRep:
    Yet nothing can touch the grammars in my area, including the private schools
    The existence of Grammars, Highs S's, Privates and Comps causes interesting "micro-climates" in areas.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Cool!

Which school did you go to?
    I was at the Ursuline College. Yeah, we hated St Lawrence. When we were playing them at rugby, one of their players told me off for swearing, to which I replied;
    "F*** ***, *** ******* ****".
    To be honest, I was at a private school (which the RAF funds) but had been to a comp in Scotland before...although to be honest my school in kent was shite.....I always remembered this kid at that st Lawrence school called *boxer boy* because his boxer shorts hung out of his sports shorts and he was a little **** who thought he could have everyone...aaahh memories

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I was at a private school (which the RAF funds) but had been to a comp in Scotland before...although to be honest my school in kent was shite.....I always remembered this kid at that st Lawrence school called *boxer boy* because his boxer shorts hung out of his sports shorts and he was a little **** who thought he could have everyone...aaahh memories
    so effectively, I have seen private, comprehensive and grammar school education although I wish I never went to private school now

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.