Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    haha, me and a mate gave a busker 6 tins on saturday night because we didnt have time to drink them before a gig started.

We sat there and had one with him, had a good natter, then left. To say he was gracious would be an understatement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't care what they're going to spend it on. If it's drink or drugs, who am I to complain?
    Yes, well if it is unclear what their intentions are I would not/will not give them money to encourage them.

I would rather give the money to charity if anything.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, the minimum price per unit of alcohol is not a good idea. It incriminates responsible drinkers and won't actually solve the problem. People will just turn to the black market, or worse still, hard drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you're worried about homeless people the best thing to do would be give money to a charity for homeless people, then it will go towards solving the problem and be spent more wisely than just paying for drugs which won't sort anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    It's got a pretentious air about it, but it is downright dirty and touristy. Pseudo-fancy!
    Your new avatar is :awesome:

See the south park with the jonas brothers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Yes, well if it is unclear what their intentions are I would not/will not give them money to encourage them.
    I see no problem in that. For one, it is not 'encouraging' anything - once you hand over money, it is theirs to do with as they wish. But more importantly than that, why not spend it on drink or drugs? If I was in that situation, I'd probably spend it on alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    By the way, the minimum price per unit of alcohol is not a good idea. It incriminates responsible drinkers and won't actually solve the problem. People will just turn to the black market, or worse still, hard drugs.
    Yes, it's a point worth noting. I'm actually surprised that a home distilling culture has not resurfaced in the UK, considering how often some of our fellow Europeans make their own drinks.

But yes, I don't think anyone with an ounce of sense thinks these sort of things work. Politicians look at it because it makes them seem to be doing something (incidentally, it might well be illegal under European law to impose minimum pricing on anything) and the authoritarians like it because they simply enjoy criminalising people who don't abide by their warped puritanical morality.

(Original post by XDaydreamer)
    I think if you're worried about homeless people the best thing to do would be give money to a charity for homeless people, then it will go towards solving the problem and be spent more wisely than just paying for drugs which won't sort anything
    Most of these problem cannot be solved by money.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i give money to some homeless people because being wacked off your face on drugs must be better then enduring life on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Your new avatar is :awesome:

See the south park with the jonas brothers?
    Ta! Yeah, that episode was funny as.

Though I didn't get it because of that, lol. I was inspired by the :awesome: Andy Warhol exhibition in one of the New York museums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    It's not like we "let" our "fellow Brits" live like that; there is plenty of help available for homeless people, for people addicted to drugs, and for homeless people addicted to drugs. The problem is that many of these people either don't want the help, or they think they don't need it. Your friend was irresponsible and stupid for giving her £40 - the money will just ensure she carries on like she's doing now. If you go back to Leicester Square again tonight, you'll probably see her again.
    Sadly, it seems that either there aren't enough resources available for all the homeless to turn their lives around, or not enough is done to raise awareness of these facilities.

If I see a homeless person in the street who directly asks me for money I'll often give them a little bit. Sure, they might spend it on drugs but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give them anything. At other times, I offer them food or drink if I have a surplus, which is probably the better thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    The girl probably has a decent amount of money and is on here reading this thread on her laptop laughing her ass of because most of you would actually fall for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I see no problem in that. For one, it is not 'encouraging' anything - once you hand over money, it is theirs to do with as they wish. But more importantly than that, why not spend it on drink or drugs? If I was in that situation, I'd probably spend it on alcohol.
    Well it's good and easy for someone like you or I to say that any money given would be spent on booze but for them it's not because they could be alcoholics, the very reason or one reason they are out on the street in the first place.

Better not to give them any dosh at all or if they really seem desperate when asking them then do what one of my college teachers did once and offer to buy it for them. If not then straight out refuse.

Otherwise its effectively throwing money away...sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Sadly, it seems that either there aren't enough resources available for all the homeless to turn their lives around, or not enough is done to raise awareness of these facilities.

If I see a homeless person in the street who directly asks me for money I'll often give them a little bit. Sure, they might spend it on drugs but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give them anything. At other times, I offer them food or drink if I have a surplus, which is probably the better thing to do.
    Though you do have to remember a percentage of the homeless dont want to be helped and are quite happy living the way they do.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Very difficult to help people like that.Young girl could get help very easily if she wanted it. I expect she just needs to walk into a Police station. Who will get social services involved. I think a lot of these people who are on the streets have mental health problems, or drugs , alchohol etc. And really can't be helped easily.

Odds are, if someone scooped her off the streets, gave her a roof and a square meal she would end up back there. Lots of them get into street prosititution which damages them even further and it is like a never ending cycle for many which sadly ends in them being six foot under. Though what is even sadder is, no one will probably care or remember her,she will just disappear one night. . This isn't new it has been going on for ever.

People like that need to want to be helped ,the only alternative would be to section her ,dry her out, detox her, and find out why she is behaving like this and perhaps give her mental help,they might have lock her up for quite sometime. This would probably have to be done forcibly. There are many many like her ..who is going to pay for that? and I think many would object due to human rights issues.

ReputationRep:
    'famous Zoo bar'

:rofl:

It's crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex22Spurs)
    I have no sympathy for them - just get a ******* job, even if its a binman or something.
    not that easy idiot!

1. you need to go to interview. What smart clothes would a homless
    person wear?
    2. You need to fill out an application with an address and general
    contact details, a homeless person doesnt have these.
    3. Employers are scared to hire homeless, they generally think of them
    as uneducated drug addicts.
    4. Ever heard of the ressesion? Its harder than ever to get a job at the
    moment. Professionals are being made redundant, what chance has
    an unqualified homeless person got?

NO wonder youve got negative rep you narrow minded crettin!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ZaraLara)
    so basically last night me and some friends decided to go out to leister square to the famous Zoo Bar. We were stood outside having some friendly banter with some guys wen suddenly a girl who looked more like a walking corpse approached us. She started off by saying a joke to get our attention then introduced herself as ' hi, my name in chloe, im 19, and im homeless. my foster father raped me and my mother basically abandoned me, i need a fix to take the pain away, so this is why im asking u for some spare change' . We all looked at her and couldent believe she had just told us all exactly what she was gonna spend the money on.

You could tell she was having severe withdrawal symptoms, my sister stupidly gave her 2 quid and told her to go get something to eat, and then suddenly the guy next to me handed her 40 quid!! I couldn't believe it. She grabbed the money and ran as fast as she could.

I cant help but feel so ashamed that while i was out having a gd night in fabulous central london, a girl the same age as me is trying to find her next fix and has to find a place to sleep for the night without getting raped. How can a country so wealthy have youngsters like these roaming the streets. As i woke up this morning in my nice comfy bed, she could b in some pimp gangster apartment dead due to an over dose, all because this guy gave her 40 quid, enough for 4 rocks.

How can we let our fellow brits live like this ?
    Any particular reason as to why you know the price of drugs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Any particular reason as to why you know the price of drugs?
    Associating with anyone who has used the drugs, been approached to buy said drugs, reading newspaper articles about the rising/falling cost of various drugs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Very difficult to help people like that.Young girl could get help very easily if she wanted it. I expect she just needs to walk into a Police station. Who will get social services involved. I think a lot of these people who are on the streets have mental health problems, or drugs , alchohol etc. And really can't be helped easily.

Odds are, if someone scooped her off the streets, gave her a roof and a square meal she would end up back there. Lots of them get into street prosititution which damages them even further and it is like a never ending cycle for many which sadly ends in them being six foot under. Though what is even sadder is, no one will probably care or remember her,she will just disappear one night. . This isn't new it has been going on for ever.

People like that need to want to be helped ,the only alternative would be to section her ,dry her out, detox her, and find out why she is behaving like this and perhaps give her mental help,they might have lock her up for quite sometime. This would probably have to be done forcibly. There are many many like her ..who is going to pay for that? and I think many would object due to human rights issues.

'lock her up'? :rolleyes: They're psychiatric wards, not mental health prisons. I don't believe the sectioning process is quite as straightforward as you seem to believe...at least in terms of dealing with the homeless.

Yeah, no matter how much time, effort and money is spent on getting someone into detox etc, at the end of the day it's down to that person to want to change his/her ways. But a push in the right direction and support/encouragement from homelessness charities etc is a good thing. It's probably tempting to almost give up after detox attempts have run into double figures and proven unsuccessful...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.