Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else get annoyed by medics? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I had heard you coming out with it before you starting nursing :confused:

It's really boring. And it actually makes you appear bitter with a chip on your shoulder, rather than proud of your choice of profession.
    A few months before infact, if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    What a dumb goose. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    i like being a medic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1390)
    At our uni the med school has its own freshers week, seems proud to be separate from the actual uni, like it's a much more respected establishment outside it. They have this whole 'we are separate from you as our career paths are 95% guaranteed'. Or they act like their time at uni is so much harder than yours, they work more hours, are doing 10x more work experience. They also believe they're already doctors and they have a martyr complex.

I mean we can be earning more than them when we're older right? They just act so smug. Already. Girls seem to be won over by 'I'm a med student' just like the old 'I'm a pilot', yet aren't they just students?

Anyone else had annoying experiences with med students?
    Imperial?

Yes. They're extremely annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Some can be smug sanctimonious git bags, others are down to earth and friendly just like on any other course.
    This really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I had heard you coming out with it before you starting nursing :confused:

It's really boring. And it actually makes you appear bitter with a chip on your shoulder, rather than proud of your choice of profession.

So i can't moan about my profession now aswell? Its hard to feel proud of a profession you're going into when you're not really sure what the aim of that profession is anymore, and people aren't going into nursing to care and nurse people, but instead to become mini-doctors

and i totally forgot..ofcourse my views almost a year ago reflect my views now, and naturally that must mean i'm still voting conservative as 3 years ago i supported them..silly me.

People grow up, just leave me alone and judge me on the present not the past

ReputationRep:
    Not all Med students are like this. There are two types.

- Med students who actually care about helping people, are down to earth and generally
    pretty cool
    - The smug ones you refer to are the ones who couldnt give a crap about helping people
    and are just in it for the money and nice car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    What uni do you go to then?

My med school (barts) is totally separate from the 'sister' uni (QM) and we have our own union and freshers etc.

I'm not being funny but QM isn't the best uni out there, it's not in the top 30 in the UK and a lot of its subjects aren't academic (bar law and engineering which are good there). Baring in mind to get into med school we need AAA and a tonne of work experience and even then we may get 4 rejections.. and half the people on the course already have a degree under their belt, it's not that we have a right to look down on people there. But QMers aren't the people we would usually mix with and so we just don't.

And moreover, when we're at uni we work pretty long hours. A lot of this year I would wake up at 6am, be at hospital at 8am and not leave hospital until 5 or 6pm. I wouldnt see the light of day in winter. Then I would have to go home and learn stuff. I really don't think theres other degrees like that, bar nursing...
    Needed to quote you, just to tell you, as everyone else has, that you're a ****. It's nice to know you won't talk to people who don't meet your standards; I'm sure you'll fare well in life.

On another note, I have plenty of mates who go there for law; for which the entry is AAA, who worked as hard as I and others did at Oxford, and yet they don't have this mentality.

The worst part of all of this is that, from what I've read in your later posts, you're totally unrepentant. You can't even see why you're a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Law > Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-makes-friends)
    I get an overwhelming urge to stab medical students (or wannabe/prospective medical students) in the face when they do the following things:

-use the words 'medic' and 'fresher' in the same sentence...uurgh please dont so this it makes my blood boil

-put stethoscopes around their necks (FOR F*** SAKE STUFF THE DAMN THING IN YOUR POCKET)

-make really nerdy and rubbish cringy jokes about medicine or science

-brag about their a levels and gcses - ooh look at me I have 10 A grades at A level and 20 A*s...honestly, no one cares

-get excited about university and medicine....dont do this, university is not exciting.
    Medical students refer to themselves as medics. Not a big deal.

Please help me put a stethoscope in my pocket because it won't fit. Since i'm not allowed a white coat where else am I meant to put it? Doesn't mean I wear it to the canteen (do you really want food on that thing?) but a pocket is not practical unless its massive.

Most people make jokes about their course. It goes with the territory.

Never brag about my grades. Nobody gives a crap (oh, they're in my sig btw).

Medicine can be bloody boring, but it can also be exciting. I won't apologise for that. I'm allowed to be there and assist when a couple have their first child. Watching the look on their faces when their child is born, and knowing you've helped is fantastic.

Being there when someone is diagnosed with cancer, when they're told they're going to die. Sitting there joking with them whilst they have chemo, finding out that they've died and their wife has sent you a message telling you that you made it easier in the last few months. You, a medical student.

You've just reminded me why I do it, so thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Law > Medicine.
    You've completely missed the point of this whole thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Degausser)
    You've completely missed the point of this whole thread.
    There wasn't much point, other than ripping into medics, which I have enjoyed participating in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    There wasn't much point, other than ripping into medics, which I have enjoyed participating in.
    Congratulations. That's quite a contribution. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I apologize in advance for the sweeping statements I'm about to make, see it as a little light hearted. But I loathe medics, they're either: Boring as sin, stuck up public schooled *****, unbelievably stressy or just devoid of any social skills whatsoever. I've been to and from uni before with medics and been into the medic areas at uni and they just piss me, all they go on about is work, grays anatomy or they'll be moaning about someone else over the most petty of things. I've been to a medsoc night in the past and I disagree with the whole medsec throw the best parties thing, it was fun, the most of them weren't though.

I haven't really met many with a superiority complex, I just don't like them. I remember one of the last few weeks of uni I was shooting an event for the charity 'Make a Wish' and I was walking through the medic area when an older medic in his smart clothes and what not walked past me and muttered to me 'do you think anyone gives a ****', I think because I had a t-shirt on with a big make a wish logo, just a billend. To be fair though my girlfriends a medic and shes a bit of alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel103)
    I apologize in advance for the sweeping statements I'm about to make, see it as a little light hearted. But I loathe medics, they're either: Boring as sin, stuck up public schooled *****, unbelievably stressy or just devoid of any social skills whatsoever. I've been to and from uni before with medics and been into the medic areas at uni and they just piss me, all they go on about is work, grays anatomy or they'll be moaning about someone else over the most petty of things. I've been to a medsoc night in the past and I disagree with the whole medsec throw the best parties thing, it was fun, the most of them weren't though.

I haven't really met many with a superiority complex, I just don't like them. I remember one of the last few weeks of uni I was shooting an event for the charity 'Make a Wish' and I was walking through the medic area when an older medic in his smart clothes and what not walked past me and muttered to me 'do you think anyone gives a ****', I think because I had a t-shirt on with a big make a wish logo, just a billend. To be fair though my girlfriends a medic and shes a bit of alright.

I find its the more 'younger' medics who are like this, ie the 1st-3rd years, when they get into clinicals they're more humble and down to earth!

ReputationRep:
    I am actually quite shocked by some of the responses in this thread.

I just don't believe you can slot medics in what appears to come across as two distinct and quite diverse categories.
    Surely it's not that transparent?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god... I feel like I'm going to be loathed and I haven't even started University yet.
    You know I read upto the comment about asians and parents... and ticking boxes...
    I am most definitely NOT in that category and I think this generalising isn't going to get anyone anywhere...

Okay I never got into medicine the first time I applied but I took a stupid gap year to try again. I got into all of them the next time and yes I met some losers who thought they were god's gift at the interviews... But the admissions tutor also said before the interview process started at UCL that the one thing that they despise in interviews is arrogance. If you are arrogant we won't allow you in... simple as.

Now I think that idea is pretty unanimous throughout all univeristies providing the medicine course... If they're arrogant to you next time... just think to yourself that they're not supposed to be there in the first place.

I wanted to study medicine because that's what I wanted... nothing to do with parents, nothing to do with feeding my ego... I wanted to study a subject at university because I was interested in it like everyone else did with theirs. And as for the clique thing... I'm sure medics spend the whole day with medics it's impossible to spend that much time with a group of people and not become close to them. By the third year it's inevitable that they'd hang out sometimes... if not all the time!

And ticking boxes?! That's b***s***... I joined the samaritans because I suffered from violence at home (i'm saying this because it's likely that you'll never meet me in real life) and I always wished I had someone to talk to about it... So now that I'm old enough I went through the sams training scheme and became one... I did work experience because I wanted to know about what I was getting into since they dont tend to teach medicine at school. It's not ticking boxes as much as it is stuff that most people wanting to study something pretty academically demanding would have done anyway as precautionary measures... Like I'd want to know what hospitals and old people were like before entering a proffesion that deals with them profusely... If I hated working with either I would have backed off at that point.

As for getting A*s and As at A-level adding to the god complex... I got 5As at a-level and I still didn't get in the first time... went I was applying for jobs during the gap year it didn't exactly favour me much. Further added to the idea that a-levels and a*s mean NOTHING in the real world.
    And as for asians... if you come from a pretty strict family asian grandparents will be more than likely to tell the parents to stop their daughter from studying medicine because it will mean that she wont be able to do the housework all the time and look after her children... I'm half white but I had to deal with a lot of rubbish from my family so that I could apply for medicine in the first place.

So there... stop generalising on this thread... it's horrible to think I'm labelled to be a number of things because I'm studying a certain subject.

Yes, there may be some pathetic haughty losers next year but I wont be associating with them much and please don't place me in the same category as them!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say i been annoyed by medics are we talking about medical students or young doctors anyway either way i worked with a few medics in my time and found then to be very polite,helpful and totally professional with the patients as well as the treatment of the patients.I would slighty agree that are a small number of medics out there who have no people skills,not interested in the patients and so forth.However there are in the small majority.:yep:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Tom1390)
    At our uni the med school has its own freshers week, seems proud to be separate from the actual uni, like it's a much more respected establishment outside it. They have this whole 'we are separate from you as our career paths are 95% guaranteed'. Or they act like their time at uni is so much harder than yours, they work more hours, are doing 10x more work experience. They also believe they're already doctors and they have a martyr complex.

I mean we can be earning more than them when we're older right? They just act so smug. Already. Girls seem to be won over by 'I'm a med student' just like the old 'I'm a pilot', yet aren't they just students?

Anyone else had annoying experiences with med students?
    It could well be that the med school assoicated with your uni used to be a separate intitutution which has, in some way or another, joined up with your uni and everything like fresher's week could have continued since long before they were joined together.

And also, don't ever underestimate the amount of work that med students, especially in later years are expected to put in. How many other courses require people to regulalry have full days of timetabled activities, require you to sometimes be working until midnight or even over night and require you to have fewer holidays than most students (how about having just 2 weeks at Christmas, two at easter and three in the summer? I used to have more than double that just in the summer).

Also, in any courses at any uni you'll find the 'smug' people. But certainly not all medics are like that, so don't label them all the same based on your experiences with a few of them.

ReputationRep:
    have to agree with the OP

having said that my gf is a soon to be med student so its kinda rich of me that they annoy the **** outta me hehe

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.