The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joelchan
All of my choices were wildcards I'm only predicted A*BB but I applied to Ruskin (AAA) Lancaster (AAB) Slade (ABB) and CSM (Need foundation). People sad I couldnt get in without a foundation course so I thought I might as well aim high and fall close to the top. I only have one offer so far but I'm content haha. If anything, in terms of grades, UCL was my least wild card but I reckon they have the most applicants out of all of my choices.

You said "only A*BB" :biggrin: I would be happy with that but then again I didn't try at all in my A levels so I am quite content with my ACC considering I did no revising, I missed a lot of days and I pulled through purely on my merit and natural ability. Looking back on it, I sometimes I regret not 'going for it' and giving it my best shot but then again I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason. Also, with english being my second language, I did better than a lot of people in my year who were in fact native speakers.

Good luck with all your choices :smile: I'm sure you'll do just fine
Reply 981
Seriously? Talking about grades in a creative arts thread?
Original post by Soares

stick_man.jpg
Original post by Soares

Places like GSA expect ABB and higher. So yes, it's relevant.
Reply 984
Original post by Village Whisper
Thank you! I would rep, but I've apparently run out today :frown:

@aprententiousartist: See, I am far from the only one who feels this way; your little personal attack was highly unnecessary.

It was obviously going to happen! Some people are slightly sour because they didn't get an interview - whereas others are slightly up Slade's arse because they did :wink:
Reply 985
Original post by Soares

Are you seriously saying that grade dont matter? Only the UAL colleges say that they don't care which is why there grade requirements are EE and a foundation. Most other institutions would expect you to have decent grades. Art is just about painting ect. We will still have to go to lectures, write dissertations, do presentations and have tutorials. Its just as demanding as any other course plus the studio practice on top. Universities wont accept people without reviewing there A Level grades/ the foundation grade as well as there work. Of course work should always come first.
Reply 986
Are you seriously saying that grade dont matter? Only the UAL colleges say that they don't care which is why there grade requirements are EE and a foundation. Most other institutions would expect you to have decent grades. Art is just about painting ect. We will still have to go to lectures, write dissertations, do presentations and have tutorials. Its just as demanding as any other course plus the studio practice on top. Universities wont accept people without reviewing there A Level grades/ the foundation grade as well as there work. Of course work should always come first.

It was just 'E' ! You only had to get 1 A Level pass to enrol!

Yes but the fact that i don't have AAA at A level does not mean im stupid and incapable of writing well.
Reply 988
Original post by kaylafrances
Yes but the fact that i don't have AAA at A level does not mean im stupid and incapable of writing well.

Well everyone can write, that doesn't mean everyone can get into university. My point was that Art should have the same grade requirements as other subjects because its equally as demanding in theoretical modules. Take the Slade BA course. How can you be expected to pass exams in the history and theory of art since 1900 and pass the further modules in an additional subject if you only have an E at a level? You'll at least need to have grades as high as the additional subject grade requirements I assume.
Reply 989
Original post by caiitlinz
Places like GSA expect ABB and higher. So yes, it's relevant.

Not if you have a foundation.
Well everyone can write, that doesn't mean everyone can get into university. My point was that Art should have the same grade requirements as other subjects because its equally as demanding in theoretical modules. Take the Slade BA course. How can you be expected to pass exams in the history and theory of art since 1900 and pass the further modules in an additional subject if you only have an E at a level? You'll at least need to have grades as high as the additional subject grade requirements I assume.

I disagree. I think the competitive nature of even applying for these fine art courses are evidence enough to the interviewers if the student is capable or not. I'm applying for fine art and art history despite having no where near perfect grades and despite that I feel i am capable of meeting deadlines and passing exams in the art history element. Grades don't really reflect much, other than studying a lot and spending a lot of time working on irrelevant a level subjects.
Reply 991
Well UAL having the high reputation that it has, for its contribution to art and its industry and the artists they've developed for the world over the years, they must be RIGHT in not asking for A level grades.

I went to foundation at Wimbledon and it was by far the most valuable experience of my life so far.
I failed all A levels except art.

I see a huge difference between academic study and creative study (including conceptual theory and not just practice).

ART and A levels are so far apart I don't even know where to start with the argument.
Reply 992
I disagree. I think the competitive nature of even applying for these fine art courses are evidence enough to the interviewers if the student is capable or not. I'm applying for fine art and art history despite having no where near perfect grades and despite that I feel i am capable of meeting deadlines and passing exams in the art history element. Grades don't really reflect much, other than studying a lot and spending a lot of time working on irrelevant a level subjects.

My views exactly!!!! lol and we are/were both UAL students.

Isn't UAL just the best? :biggrin:
could we not all refer back a couple pages rather than have the same argument again, it gets us nowhere. opinions differ that is all.
Original post by Soares
My views exactly!!!! lol and we are/were both UAL students.

Isn't UAL just the best? :biggrin:

do not ignore my quote you secretive ****:angry:

yes haha oh and laurence was in my wimbledon interview on tuesday he always winks and tries to reassure me lol

it was me that repped you :smile:
Reply 995
do not ignore my quote you secretive ****:angry:

yes haha oh and laurence was in my wimbledon interview on tuesday he always winks and tries to reassure me lol

it was me that repped you :smile:

HA! I see what you mean can imagine!! You probably got the place.

Lol i tried to rep you but it said i've repped you too many times already lololol :smile:

And just sent a PM for some reason I still don't understand lol, but yeah ****ing so excited :tongue:
Original post by joverbena
Still nothing from Goldsmiths. Maybe they are doing it alphabetically:frown:

OK all here is the reading list sent to me as an interviewee for Critical Fine Art Practice.

It's a hand out that says 'Don't Panic" on the front with lots of blah blah, saying on the first year of the course we will be introduced to Art Theory, and it's a bit like philosophy where the main questions are trying to answer : Who are we? What are we doing here (and now) What should we be doing? - Then we respond to these questions through art.

It's a good idea to acquire the habit of reading for a couple of hours each day (!)

The only book you should really by at the outset is the first on the list: Art in Theory: 1900-2000
Reliable narration of the progression of 20th century art.

Reading List (I won't put the descriptions because that would just be masochistic of me)

ESSENTIAL:
-Charles Harrison and Paul Wood: Art in Theory 1900-2000
-Hal Foster et al : Art Since 1900 (Thams and Hudson)
-Alan How: Critical Theory (Palgrave Macmillan)
-John Lechte: Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers: From Structuralism to postmodernity (Routledge)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
-Hal Foster(ed): Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture (New Press)
-Tony Godfrey:Conceptual Art (Phaidon)
-Madan Sarup: And introductory Guide to Post-Structuralism and Postmodernism (Harvester Wheatsheaf 1993)
-Katy Deepwell (ed) New Feminist Art Criticism (Manchester University Press)

NOTEWORTHY:
-Nicolas Bourriaud: Post Production: Culture as Screenplay: How Art Reprograms the World
-Jacques Ranciere: The Future of the Image

THEORY IN THE PARK (books that do theory by other means, metaphorical/fictional/anecdotal etc)
-Jorge Luis Borges: Labyrinths
-Lewis Carroll: Alice in Wonderland (CHECK!)
- Matthew Collings: Blimey! - From Bohemia to Britpop: The London Art World from Francis Bacon to Damien Hirst
- W G Seabald: Vertigo (Vintage)

Phew....

Oh my god :| Have you seen that Art in Theory 1900-2000 book? It's like 4 million pages or something ridiculous! I was hoping I would have covered some already :redface:
Reply 997
Original post by sarinda.devine
Hi, i'm applying for painting at edinburgh and got through to the applicant day.. i was wondering if you know if you can bring paintings on canvas's with you? it says everything has to be contained in a portfolio and im not sure mine will all fit, even rolled up.. i have a lot of big paintings and i don't think pictures of them really do them justice!! i wish they did interviews!

I've applied for Edinburgh's painting course aswell. I was jut wondering when and how you found out that you got through to the applicant day because I haven't heard anything yet. I didn't receive their initial email to submit an online portfolio so I didn't know that they wanted anything from me until I got an email telling me they still hadn't received my online portfolio yet.
Ooh, just heard from Leeds - interview! I'm quite shocked tbh, thought I was being left at the bottom of the pile :smile:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Ooh, just heard from Leeds - interview! I'm quite shocked tbh, thought I was being left at the bottom of the pile :smile:

Ooh, well done! :smile: Is it soon?

Also, is this one of your top choices? I'm sure you've said before somewhere, but there are now 50 pages to look through...!

Quick Reply