Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    My Granny just bought me University of Oxford tea towels from our local market. I'm starting to think that if she has her way, by the time I get to university everything I own will have an Oxford stamp on it :lolwut:
    I want one! I want one! :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    My Granny just bought me University of Oxford tea towels from our local market. I'm starting to think that if she has her way, by the time I get to university everything I own will have an Oxford stamp on it :lolwut:
    There are a lot of guys at my school running around wearing an Oxford university jumper and don't have anything to do with the university what so ever, and I don't owe one, I feel pathetic :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaberlin)
    There are a lot of guys at my school running around wearing an Oxford university jumper and don't have anything to do with the university what so ever, and I don't owe one, I feel pathetic :dry:
    I don't remember ever seeing an Oxford student wearing one of those. College fleeces ftw!

Oooh yes, and College scarves.

ReputationRep:
    That's kinda lame! Why would you get one if you don't go there?
    I do sort of want a college scarf though, it seems so Harry Potterish

ReputationRep:
    When my Japanese friend was visiting we both went to Oxford and bought hoodies with the OXFORD on the front as a sort of friendship thing... I have to say I would never wear it at Oxford (College > University) but it is very comfy and snuggling for lazing around the house in.. Also, I wore it so much in Iceland that it's starting to come apart

(Original post by SuperPatchKid)
    Best of luck with those There's a summer camp in Italy somewhere but I think they speak English there - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to consider it hehe. And indeed, I always thought woofing sounded quite cool.
    Do you know the name or any other info about this?

ReputationRep:
    Loads of the year 10s and 11s at our school seem, at the weekends, to live in denim skirts, tights, uggs and an Oxford or Cambridge hoody. It's become a standing joke!!

And totally agree about the Harry-Potter-ish-ness of the college scarves :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    I don't remember ever seeing an Oxford student wearing one of those. College fleeces ftw!

Oooh yes, and College scarves.
    Which is really cool though and some have their college and course on their sweater, like Keble Medic or something

(Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Loads of the year 10s and 11s at our school seem, at the weekends, to live in denim skirts, tights, uggs and an Oxford or Cambridge hoody. It's become a standing joke!!

And totally agree about the Harry-Potter-ish-ness of the college scarves :ninja:
    It's a total joke I'm not from the UK so people seem to wear one around here just to show "hey I've been there as a tourist and it's a beautiful place" or what ever don't really get it. Once I was sitting in the hallway with some other people and one of them asked me what my plans are for next year, and I just randomly pulled a guy over, pointed at his sweater and said: I'll be going there! people looked at me as if I had gone insane :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the whole Oxford hoodie thing.

I would feel awkward wearing it if I wasn't going to study there, then again, I would probably feel more awkward wearing it if I was going to Oxford, comes across as a bit arrogant D:

ReputationRep:
    I just randomly pulled a guy over, pointed at his sweater and said: I'll be going there!
    :rofl: That's brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know where we can buy these scarves? I'm guessing probably through individual colleges...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgovernjon)
    Does anybody know where we can buy these scarves? I'm guessing probably through individual colleges...
    http://www.oushop.com/

There scarves are in there.

The hoodies though are just :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)

I can't see any for St. Peter's :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)

The Queen's one is nice... but £30?! I don't think I can afford to feel like Harry Potter after all

ReputationRep:
    Found one here, but aren't the genuine scarves supposed to have no crest?

http://www.varsityshop.co.uk/acatalo...s_College.html

ReputationRep:
    The Queen's one is nice... but £30?! I don't think I can afford to feel like Harry Potter after all
    It might be that you can buy cheaper ones through college, I don't know.

(Original post by mcgovernjon)
    Found one here, but aren't the genuine scarves supposed to have no crest?

http://www.varsityshop.co.uk/acatalo...s_College.html
    It's along the lines of how people say the 'Oxford' hoodies are for tourists only (real students wear college hoodies). But I have Oxbridge friends with crested hoodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    It might be that you can buy cheaper ones through college, I don't know.

It's along the lines of how people say the 'Oxford' hoodies are for tourists only (real students wear college hoodies). But I have Oxbridge friends with crested hoodies.
    The crested ones are fine (and nice) if you mean the dark blue ones with the crest. The ones with 'Oxford university' emblazoned all over the chest are worn almost exclusively by tourists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    The crested ones are fine (and nice) if you mean the dark blue ones with the crest. The ones with 'Oxford university' emblazoned all over the chest are worn almost exclusively by tourists.
    I'm definitely getting one if I end up going to Oxford! Where do you buy them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    Only almost? What a tragedy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Only almost? What a tragedy....
    A life-long fear of being branded " 'universalist' - prove" by teachers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    When my Japanese friend was visiting we both went to Oxford and bought hoodies with the OXFORD on the front as a sort of friendship thing... I have to say I would never wear it at Oxford (College > University) but it is very comfy and snuggling for lazing around the house in.. Also, I wore it so much in Iceland that it's starting to come apart

Do you know the name or any other info about this?

http://www.acle.org/

On the requirements it says it would like people to be over 20, but it sounds pretty flexible about it. Hope it helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.