Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    You might recognise a couple of faces here :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb30f

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Scaphoid is a fairly obvious clinical diagnosis though. Pain on ASB compression/thumb telescoping = have a splint, come back in 2/52. I'm confused about why we x-ray twice tho (I get the whole delayed # presentation on x-ray bit) - 1st x-ray: displaced # -> deal with it. Undisplaced # -> splint. ?# -> splint. If you get a second x-ray in two weeks, for the ?#, what are you really going to change about your management? They've been in a splint for 2/52 already, why not just assume all clinical # is a real # and keep them all in splint for 6/52? What can you actually do if the end necroses anyway? I'm just confused because I've had a true # on one side and a ? on the other which turned out to be fine, and had exactly the same for both of them - x-ray, x-ray, MRI at 2 week intervals. That pretty much takes you to 6 weeks by which it's largely healing anyway... :confused:
    As far as I was aware, the clinical picture only raised the possibility of a scaphoid fracture, not the diagnosis, hence the need for x-rays. The splinting after the first x-ray is just erring on the safe side. A negative second x-ray after 1-2 weeks makes a fracture v unlikely (you can never rule out anything in medicine!).

Or you can just do what they do in Glasgow A&E. They have a wrist sized MRI scanner there which can pick up scaphoid fracture at presentation.

Btw, you want to orthopaedics and research? :mindblown:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)

That's what panto does to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    As far as I was aware, the clinical picture only raised the possibility of a scaphoid fracture, not the diagnosis, hence the need for x-rays. The splinting after the first x-ray is just erring on the safe side. A negative second x-ray after 1-2 weeks makes a fracture v unlikely (you can never rule out anything in medicine!).

Or you can just do what they do in Glasgow A&E. They have a wrist sized MRI scanner there which can pick up scaphoid fracture at presentation.

Btw, you want to orthopaedics and research? :mindblown:
    Oooh, wrist MRI?! Prettyful! I strongly disliked having to go in the full MRI machine for just a wrist scan, having a mini one makes far more sense :yes:

Apparently academic orthopod is not an oxymoron :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently academic orthopod is not an oxymoron :tongue:
    My Oncology supervisor told us an anaecdote as how when he was a house man, he knew an orthopod doing a phd on the drying time of cerment.

25 or so years later, another orthopod he knew was doing a phd ..... on the drying time of cement.

ReputationRep:
    Today is not a good day- stayed up until 4:30 and managed to consume more than the WHO's recommended weekly units. Not bright.

ReputationRep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...doctors5.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...doctors4.shtml
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

One of those is one of my current dems XD

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Today is not a good day- stayed up until 4:30 and managed to consume more than the WHO's recommended weekly units. Not bright.
    I would just write this day off and start again tmrw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Pah, that's nothing unusual! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Omg, I'm such a tool.

What part of me thought doing a systematic review was a good idea for my BSc project?

ARGHHHH I have two 500 word books in front of me on how to do them.

This is either going to be my finest moment or utter failure :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Does this help at all? :dontknow:
    why did I say reference ranges ?! i meant confidence intervals. i think it was late and this essay got the better of me. I did have a look at that diagram, though. looks complicated at first but it nicely puts them all together. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Omg, I'm such a tool.

What part of me thought doing a systematic review was a good idea for my BSc project?

make it the former!

what are you systematically reviewing?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    2 down, 1 to go. Then I have 4 beautiful days off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaz_197)
    make it the former!

what are you systematically reviewing?
    Uh I don't think its allowed for me to spill right now but it's on general surgery.

Scary times as my supervisor wants it at Cochrane review standard

ReputationRep:
    Is it strange that I'm no longer utterly repulsed by 'positive predicted values', 'specificity' and 'likelihood ratios'? It's quite interesting. Having said that, I'm still pretty useless at understanding any of it.

ReputationRep:
    Omg, I'm such a tool.

Never fear, help is at hand. How could this not be useful for you?!?

ReputationRep:
    Uh I don't think its allowed for me to spill right now but it's on general surgery.

oh dear! my suggestion is that you look at something obscure with like 5 studies on it :couchpotato: lazy times

ReputationRep:

One of the BSc projects offered here is a systematic review, and they've even put the Cochrane Review bit in the title so no-one's in any doubt what it involves!

I don't know if my iBSc application ever made it to Barts... I should ring, but I don't like getting bad news. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    One of the BSc projects offered here is a systematic review, and they've even put the Cochrane Review bit in the title so no-one's in any doubt what it involves!

I don't know if my iBSc application ever made it to Barts... I should ring, but I don't like getting bad news. :dontknow:
    It's suicidal haha - only the Gunners do these. I'm not one.

Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Determined to change life for the better starting tomorrow. Namely using days off for good use, not 'sleep'. Though can sleep technically be classed as good use? :beard:

Wish I had motivation to make self work 9-5 every day. Rather than sporadically when I have the motivation/energy. Eg, 23:45. Why now am I suddenly interested in immunology when I have done bugger all all day?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.