The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
thanks for the luck, but *shakes head* i did really badly, i'd have to retake to get ANY chance of being accepted into ANY university haha.
Reply 981
WQtRiggEr
thanks for the luck, but *shakes head* i did really badly, i'd have to retake to get ANY chance of being accepted into ANY university haha.

Wow... u were born in '88?
Reply 982
Splus
Wow... u were born in '88?

yeah, that makes it EVEN harder hahaha.
Reply 983
WQtRiggEr

Sorry to hear. :s: If there's anything we can help you with, do tell!

Did anyone patronise the "UoL" exhibition?
Reply 984
Knogle
Sorry to hear. :s: If there's anything we can help you with, do tell!

Did anyone patronise the "UoL" exhibition?

haha it's alright, this might actually be one of the times i'm glad there's ns, i know it'll be hard balancing ns and studying for my retaking, but i know i'll work hard because the reason i didn't do well was i didn't put in effort..

with ns, i won't waste a year while retaking haha. but it's gonna be hard.
Reply 985
WQtRiggEr
haha it's alright, this might actually be one of the times i'm glad there's ns, i know it'll be hard balancing ns and studying for my retaking, but i know i'll work hard because the reason i didn't do well was i didn't put in effort..

with ns, i won't waste a year while retaking haha. but it's gonna be hard.

Just cross your fingers for a vocation which allow you to knock off at 5:30pm every evening. :smile:
Reply 986
Knogle
Just cross your fingers for a vocation which allow you to knock off at 5:30pm every evening. :smile:

Hmm I am one of the VERY 'lucky' ones who got this wonderful vocation which allows me to knock off at 5:30pm everyday. Trust me, life is HELL during working hours.

:smile:
Reply 987
Splus
Hmm I am one of the VERY 'lucky' ones who got this wonderful vocation which allows me to knock off at 5:30pm everyday. Trust me, life is HELL during working hours.

:smile:

Just noticed that you've received offers for entry into the 2nd year.... am I missing something?
Reply 988
Knogle
Just noticed that you've received offers for entry into the 2nd year.... am I missing something?

I'm a poly grad. Exemption! HEHEHEHE :wink:
Reply 989
hello
i just wanted to ask, do we need to send our Singapore- Cambridge A level results to the uk unis after we receive them? im still waiting for a decision from UCL and i was thinking if i should send them my A level results. (UCL is my first choice!)
Reply 990
Splus
I'm a poly grad. Exemption! HEHEHEHE :wink:

Ahhhhhh, that explains it. :smile:

gojstock
hello
i just wanted to ask, do we need to send our Singapore- Cambridge A level results to the uk unis after we receive them? im still waiting for a decision from UCL and i was thinking if i should send them my A level results. (UCL is my first choice!)
If the uni wants to verify your results, they'll tell you. If not now, they'll do it when you eventually register at the uni. But you'll only be asked for verified results after receiving an offer.
Reply 991
oh ok.... so ucas will send my S'pore-Cambridge A level results to the uk unis for me? i'll just need to verify if necessary (they ask me) ? because ucas said they would send all GCE A level results. i just wanted to make sure that included the singapore one!
Reply 992
gojstock
oh ok.... so ucas will send my S'pore-Cambridge A level results to the uk unis for me? i'll just need to verify if necessary (they ask me) ? because ucas said they would send all GCE A level results. i just wanted to make sure that included the singapore one!

Nope, they won't. The uni will have you present your results either on the first day of registration, or have you post a verified copy of the results sometime in/by June. What UCAS says only applies to UK students it seems.
OMG. this thread is so dead. lol
Reply 994
acezhiquan
OMG. this thread is so dead. lol

:hello:
Reply 995
Hmmm at first I thought I can go to Warwick. Unfortunately couldn't get a funding. Will be studying in NUS instead.
LOL.

alright. the thread is not dead after all.

Knogle: haha you were from CT council right?. haha. if you are then i'm your direct junior. i'm in the 16th council.

oh and some general questions

1. For the UCAS form, it's a general personal statement right? So if i'm applying to say, Imperial Medicine and LSE Accountancy/Finance, they will be looking at the same personal statement. For those who have applied, when applying to a diverse range of courses, did you all shift your focus in the statement to one course, or tried to make it sound as general as possible? What are the drawbacks in both tactics?

2. I'm not doing a H3(s-paper equivalent), as i would spend the extra time freed up by NOT doing the H3 to doing voluntary hospital work. My rationale for doing so would be that these activities would help me sort out what i want to do in life and learn more about the compassion/humility needed in medicine, more than learning about protein changes in cells and how to measure these changes. Of course, i could try to juggle both, but considering i'm spread very thin already(ask me if you want to know), i don't think i should, especially as i don't intend to give up my existing commitments. Any thoughts on this choice or do you see any alternatives?

By the way, Í'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Economics, all at H2 level(A level).
Reply 997
1. For the UCAS form, it's a general personal statement right? So if i'm applying to say, Imperial Medicine and LSE Accountancy/Finance, they will be looking at the same personal statement. For those who have applied, when applying to a diverse range of courses, did you all shift your focus in the statement to one course, or tried to make it sound as general as possible? What are the drawbacks in both tactics?
Not as general as you think. There's no way you're going to get through if you don't use your PS to thrust your application forward. Let's not forget that unlike US applicants, UK applicants have very little material they can use to prove their worth to admissions tutors. Tutors look at your grades, reference, and certainly your PS when assessing a candidate. With the cut-throat competition out there, hoping to be admitted into two ultra-competitive courses with a general PS on yourself is very unlikely to do you any good. Tutors want to see your specific, committed interest in the course you have applied for. This involves you stating relevant experience and CCA involvement. So definitely, pick a field of study and focus on it.

2. I'm not doing a H3(s-paper equivalent), as i would spend the extra time freed up by NOT doing the H3 to doing voluntary hospital work. My rationale for doing so would be that these activities would help me sort out what i want to do in life and learn more about the compassion/humility needed in medicine, more than learning about protein changes in cells and how to measure these changes. Of course, i could try to juggle both, but considering i'm spread very thin already(ask me if you want to know), i don't think i should, especially as i don't intend to give up my existing commitments. Any thoughts on this choice or do you see any alternatives?
Good call. Forget H3; get some relevant work experience instead. 'S' papers (or H3, as you now call them) are irrelevant when it comes to admissions into UK universities, I dare say. And even for Oxbridge, you don't need them. I would only encourage people to take them if they're gunning for scholarships, and/or are genuinely interested in the subject (i.e. able to take it on without sacrificing other elements of an all-rounded student life).
hey thanks for the reply!.:smile:
Knogle
Personally I regard it very well; it's not easy at all to be admitted into a double degree programme at NUS, unlike SMU. AAAA isn't gonna guarantee you a place.

With that said, you should still seriously consider an education at Imperial. It's more than the reputation - it's the entire overseas education experience, the contacts, the opportunities. :smile:

Hehe... Knogle you seem to know a lot about Singapore... I don't really know your background but I hope you do know that the deadline for replying to Singapore unis offers was June 4 (this Monday) and we have just passed the deadline.

I got a double degree offer for NUS BBA Accountancy + MSc Management (direct), but as you guessed it I decided not to take it up but instead went to UCAS and made Imperial my firm... Ya, so Monday just passed without me doing loging into the online portal to accept the NUS NTU SMU offers or me submitting the form A.

Ya I really don't think NUS BBA(Acct) + MSc(Mgt) was easy to come by (with all the interviews and CV typing and grades). I am just having thoughts about whether it was a bad decision to reject it in favour of Imperial BSc Mathematics. If I am advised to keep the NUS offer, then I think I would head to NUS immediately and trying to see how I could keep that offer alive...

Pls do advise me a bit... And anyone with an opinion is welcome!

(and I am so lucky... it is the 1000th post!)

Quick Reply

Latest