OCR Physics Unit 2 - G482 - (June Exams Preparation) Watch

Gotzz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MelissaW_xo)
Other questions included:

Explain why sound waves cannot be polarised but electromagnetic waves can.
Give one feature of EM waves that distinguish them from all other waves.
I said that sound waves don't have oscillations of particles at right angles to the direction of propagation of the wave
And then
They can travel in a vacuum.
What did you put?
Titus20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Other questions included:

Explain why sound waves cannot be polarised but electromagnetic waves can.
Give one feature of EM waves that distinguish them from all other waves.
You just have to say EM waves are transverse, sound waves are longitudal, only transverse waves can be polarised.
Then only EM waves can travel through a vacuum.
MelissaW_xo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
I said that sound waves don't have oscillations of particles at right angles to the direction of propagation of the wave
And then
They can travel in a vacuum.
What did you put?

(Original post by Titus20)
You just have to say EM waves are transverse, sound waves are longitudal, only transverse waves can be polarised.
Then only EM waves can travel through a vacuum.
Yeah I put EM waves can travel through a vacuum, and that they are longitudinal
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I put EM waves can travel through a vacuum, and that they are longitudinal
Do you think I'd get the mark since I didn't say anything about longitudinal/transverse? :/
cyiarik
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
It was horrible. I focused mainly on biology because it had the most content and chemistry I already knew quite well. Hence why I didn't have much time for physics. But hopefully it'll pay off
Thats exactly the same thing i did there was so much to learn for biology but i think it was an ok exam :rolleyes:
blackstarz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
I think I did the same thing as you for the kWh.
Was path difference the bit in nanometres? If so, I got 1060nm.
The electron diffraction thing, I just spoke about constructive and destructive interference and how the atom spacing acts as a diffraction grating.
Why the unhappy face when it seems like you've done well...?
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blackstarz)
Why the unhappy face when it seems like you've done well...?
Because I don't think I answered the electron diffraction question well.
Titus20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
Do you think I'd get the mark since I didn't say anything about longitudinal/transverse? :/
By saying the particles in sound waves don't oscillate at right angles what you implied was "sound waves are longitudal" so you should get the mark
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cyiarik)
Thats exactly the same thing i did there was so much to learn for biology but i think it was an ok exam :rolleyes:
Did you do OCR?
stuart_aitken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Y'know when a wave goes near the edge of something and the proximity causes it to change direction a little........ wtf is it called?! Hah! I've always known, but for the test my brain stumped me with total confusion between refraction and diffraction.

In the end I went with refraction..?

It was the question about the electron beam and the graphite atoms. Only a very minor point, but now I just want to know!

(Yeah I could Google it but I'm on my phone and..... lazy)

Edit: just seen the word was diffraction. Haha. Bummer. Ah well,I explained the whole theory properly, just got the word wrong! Gyah, hate it wen physics gets all semantic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gotzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Titus20)
By saying the particles in sound waves don't oscillate at right angles what you implied was "sound waves are longitudal" so you should get the mark
Ok
Titus20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stuart_aitken)
Y'know when a wave goes near the edge of something and the proximity causes it to change direction a little........ wtf is it called?! Hah! I've always known, but for the test my brain stumped me with total confusion between refraction and diffraction.

In the end I went with refraction..?

It was the question about the electron beam and the graphite atoms. Only a very minor point, but now I just want to know!

(Yeah I could Google it but I'm on my phone and..... lazy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was diffraction, not refraction
cyiarik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
Did you do OCR?
yep. OCR for Bio, Chem, Physics, and Maths
MelissaW_xo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gotzz)
I think so! You demonstrated knowledge about the wave oscillations which is correct so I don't see why not
JG1027
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if i said this is this correct Electrons behave as waves. Diffraction observable as gaps (atom spacing) is similar to that of the wavelength of the electron in the layer of graphit. regular patterns of atoms acts as grating. allowing constructive interference to produce patterns on screen. rings occur as the atomic crystals are at all possible orientations to the beam? for the electron diffraction question
Loiks94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you all write the electrons that we calculated in an earlier questions wouldn't be able to show diffraction pattern because length of gap was different from wavelength?
cyiarik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest, this exam was OK considering it had A LOT of questions which were simply definitions/ proving questions and some simple IR characteristic explanations.

The electricity questions were also quite simple (except i forgot the symbol for an LDR aha ). Think the grade boundaries will be at least 69 for an A [which is the average A-mark for the past few papers.]
cyiarik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Law-Hopeful)
For why sound waves can't be polarised but em can I put something like 'EM waves are transverse and only transverse can be polarised, sound waves aren't tranverse so can't be polarised'. Would that be ok for the mark? (was it worth 1 or 2 marks? :/)
Then for distinguishing feature of EM waves I put 'Can travel through a vacuum at 3x10^8ms-1 (speed of light).' Would that be ok for the mark?
Yes i believe it would
Georgehigginson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Loiks94)
Did you all write the electrons that we calculated in an earlier questions wouldn't be able to show diffraction pattern because length of gap was different from wavelength?
yeah thats right right
booooomblastruin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JG1027)
if i said this is this correct Electrons behave as waves. Diffraction observable as gaps (atom spacing) is similar to that of the wavelength of the electron in the layer of graphit. regular patterns of atoms acts as grating. allowing constructive interference to produce patterns on screen. rings occur as the atomic crystals are at all possible orientations to the beam? for the electron diffraction question
:lttd:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (94)
24.42%
No (291)
75.58%

Watched Threads