Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Kondogbia, Draxler and Adler would be the business. Jovetic I'm not convinced about, think we need someone with more of a proven scoring record like Lewandowski considering his 25m price.

Lewandowski
    Draxler Cazorla AOC
    Wilshere Kondogbia
    Monreal Koscielny Mertesacker Jenkinson
    Adler

Genuinely reckon that's a team that could challenge for the title. Obviously Lewandowski is unlikely.
    I actually thought of quite a similar lineup just yesterday - except I put Cavani instead of Lewandowski (although I wasn't sure if Arsenal were interested in him at this moment in time). But with a squad like that you can definitely challenge for the title. Imagine if you got Song back as well.

ReputationRep:
    Kondogbia, Draxler and Adler would be the business. Jovetic I'm not convinced about, think we need someone with more of a proven scoring record like Lewandowski considering his 25m price.

Lewandowski
    Draxler Cazorla AOC
    Wilshere Kondogbia
    Monreal Koscielny Mertesacker Jenkinson
    Adler

Genuinely reckon that's a team that could challenge for the title. Could have those 4 for 60m probs which we can easily afford as well but obviously Lewandowski is unlikely. Draxler is a player I really like the look of however. Remy wouldnt be an improvement on Giroud.
    Looks solid mate! Would maybe swap Draxler with Santi though. Seen Draxler a few times and dont rate him out wide, whereas we've seen Santi can be just as effective playing out wide.

Lewandowski would be a dream signing but he's Man U or Munich bound I think so Jovetic would have to do. Still young so room for Wenger to develop him up.

Dont want Remy. Horrible attitude and really dont rate him as a player.

An outside one could be Damiaio that Spurs are always linked with. He looks a top player and I heard he is pals with Gilberto Silva so that could potentially swing in our favour if we go for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    I actually thought of quite a similar lineup just yesterday - except I put Cavani instead of Lewandowski (although I wasn't sure if Arsenal were interested in him at this moment in time). But with a squad like that you can definitely challenge for the title. Imagine if you got Song back as well.
    (Original post by eh13)
    Looks solid mate! Would maybe swap Draxler with Santi though. Seen Draxler a few times and dont rate him out wide, whereas we've seen Santi can be just as effective playing out wide.

Lewandowski would be a dream signing but he's Man U or Munich bound I think so Jovetic would have to do. Still young so room for Wenger to develop him up.

Dont want Remy. Horrible attitude and really dont rate him as a player.

An outside one could be Damiaio that Spurs are always linked with. He looks a top player and I heard he is pals with Gilberto Silva so that could potentially swing in our favour if we go for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldnt want Song back really, I was never his greatest fan and was amazed Barca wanted him at all. Kondogbia apparently is in the Vieira/Toure mode which excited me, and he's been linked with Real so he must be doing something right. Havent seen much of Cavani but he's got a much much better goal scoring record than Jovetic and what we need is a goal scorer. Lewandowski for me is the perfect modern striker(was on here saying we should buy him last August :\) but I really dont think he'll end up at United since he is almost identical to RVP. Think he'll end up at Real or at Bayern in a years time but if we could get him, he'd be worth 35m to us imo.

Benteke's been mentioned but he'd cost 20m with all the hype around him and I'm not sure he has enough genuine quality. pierre-emerick aubameyang's been heavily linked and his stats are decent. Plus the fact he's young, french and cheap makes him a classic Wenger signing. I think I'd prefer him to Jovetic tbh.

(Original post by eh13)
    Personally not a fan of Santi playing out wide. :no:

Regarding Zurich's team, I think it certainly works, but that a frontline of Podolski-Jovetic-Walcott would also be effective in a very different way. Having the Ox and (from what we have) Gervinho on the wings would probably mean Giroud up front - which is the same principle as Zurich's lineup. I've always thought Wenger's preference would be the former, for its fluidity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I've mentioned him before - haven't seen him play all that much but heard good things about him and he's been all right on the occasions I have seen him (apart from the Olympics final, but Brazil in general were a bit poor for that game). If I remember correctly, we were interested in him before Spurs were, though they've been the ones pushing for a move recently (although they seemed to give up after failing to get him in January).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Isn't Draxler an attacking mid who gets/got put on the left to accomodate Holtby rather than a proper winger ?
    Yeah but I can see him doing something similar to nasri

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Marchetti would be in my top 5 keepers at the moment. So, so good. Would be such a great acquisition.
    He's 31 though.... I know goalkeepers can play until they're like 40 but still...

Would rather prefer Adler.

ReputationRep:
    Adler please. German efficiency and all that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    He's 31 though.... I know goalkeepers can play until they're like 40 but still...

I'd rather an older keeper to mentor szczesny and then for szczesny to take his place in a couple of seasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

(Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I'd rather an older keeper to mentor szczesny and then for szczesny to take his place in a couple of seasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^ Basically that. And for that reason too, I wouldn't be too averse to us signing Julio Cesar, preferably if he took a wage cut though (isn't he on 80k/w at QPR?)

ReputationRep:
    If we dont get jovetic itll be so disappointing just hope we dont sign that aubemyang or whatever his name is to be our new first choice striker or something. Not a fan of french league strikers gouffran was one of the top scorers and look at how big of a flop he is. I would be happy to pay 40mill for both benteke and jovetic 22 and 23 respectively so they'll be around for a few years unless a big club comes calling ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not a popular opinion because he seems pretty popular but personally I wouldn't let Szczesny get in the way of us finding a long term solution, I don't really rate him as a goalie I think hes pretty average and he seems a bit of a **** too the way he is always mouthing off in the press and that is irresponsible and unprofessional so I wouldn't really care if we got rid for someone like Adler

ReputationRep:
    Not a popular opinion because he seems pretty popular but personally I wouldn't let Szczesny get in the way of us finding a long term solution, I don't really rate him as a goalie I think hes pretty average and he seems a bit of a **** too the way he is always mouthing off in the press and that is irresponsible and unprofessional so I wouldn't really care if we got rid for someone like Adler
    Dunno, If De Gea is good enough then so is Szczesny tbf. People give him stick but his performances have been good and he has quite a few standout games as well. he looks pretty comfortable to me(crosses still dodgy) and he will improve alot as he gets older. Even his distribution, which was horrible last season, has improved hugely for example. He's lanky as **** though so he could so with a few gym sessions to give him more presence.

arrogance is not a problem for a goalkeeper, quite the opposite. To me, he seems like a decent fella with a bit of personality.But we should snap up Adler if we get him, Szczesny could be loaned out like Chelsea have done with their young GK.

ReputationRep:
    what are we gonna do about AOC, 2 seasons now sitting on the bench(thought he was far better in the first) but he needs to become a regular starter now if we want him to kick on and progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    what are we gonna do about AOC, 2 seasons now sitting on the bench(thought he was far better in the first) but he needs to become a regular starter now if we want him to kick on and progress.
    easy, drop Walcott and put the better player in. At least AOC has a genuine shout of becoming a top player.

ReputationRep:
    easy, drop Walcott and put the better player in. At least AOC has a genuine shout of becoming a top player.
    never gonna happen, wenger has this wierd love of walcott which made give a 100k a week to the guy, plus he still tries to justify that he made the right choice by signing walcott over gareth bale.

ReputationRep:

Bet Walcott listens to this song every week.

But then marchetti can tutor sczechny...

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, If De Gea is good enough then so is Szczesny tbf. People give him stick but his performances have been good and he has quite a few standout games as well. he looks pretty comfortable to me(crosses still dodgy) and he will improve alot as he gets older. Even his distribution, which was horrible last season, has improved hugely for example. He's lanky as **** though so he could so with a few gym sessions to give him more presence.

arrogance is not a problem for a goalkeeper, quite the opposite. To me, he seems like a decent fella with a bit of personality.But we should snap up Adler if we get him, Szczesny could be loaned out like Chelsea have done with their young GK.
    He makes stupid mistakes through what I assume is complacency bought on by his over inflated ego and yeah he has good games but how many times do you see a goalie come to emirates and play out their skin and look unbeatable he's nothing special at all unless they are all top goalies as well, you can point to his age but he's barely improved in 2 years. And I agree arrogance can be an important quality for a goalie but what good does trying to mug off john terry someone whos more successful than szczesny probably ever will be in the papers do anyone except make him look like a **** and reflect badly on the club. If he wants to be arrogant and use that to help his game then that's fine but when he starts banging on in the papers like he's the dogs *******s it becomes a problem

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, If De Gea is good enough then so is Szczesny tbf.
    De Gea > Szcezesny, by a lot.

ReputationRep:
    He makes stupid mistakes through what I assume is complacency bought on by his over inflated ego and yeah he has good games but how many times do you see a goalie come to emirates and play out their skin and look unbeatable he's nothing special at all unless they are all top goalies as well, you can point to his age but he's barely improved in 2 years. And I agree arrogance can be an important quality for a goalie but what good does trying to mug off john terry someone whos more successful than szczesny probably ever will be in the papers do anyone except make him look like a **** and reflect badly on the club. If he wants to be arrogant and use that to help his game then that's fine but when he starts banging on in the papers like he's the dogs *******s it becomes a problem
    fair point, ive never been fan of szcznsy hes not shown any reason for me to believe he will be a top goal keeper let alone world class. Dont understand the argument of having an older goalie to tutor him, if the guy is not good enough why not just buy a top goal keeper for 7mill or something. I mean there are far better goalies then szcezny out there that can be bought for that price. No point holing onto someone when they're young if they never look like becoming a top player, especially goal keepers considering a 30 year old goalie should last atleast 5 years. We should have got lloris in the summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    fair point, ive never been fan of szcznsy hes not shown any reason for me to believe he will be a top goal keeper let alone world class. Dont understand the argument of having an older goalie to tutor him, if the guy is not good enough why not just buy a top goal keeper for 7mill or something. I mean there are far better goalies then szcezny out there that can be bought for that price. No point holing onto someone when they're young if they never look like becoming a top player, especially goal keepers considering a 30 year old goalie should last atleast 5 years. We should have got lloris in the summer
    Just out of curiosity why did lloris pick Tottenham over arsenal? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.