The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

How would you attempt the Q 'How would you summarise what makes us different from other law firms?' the question only allows 60 words so not a lot of room to elaborate. I have literally listed 3 things. But on their website they state on the 'why them' question (Which there isn't one specifically other than this) to include 'why you'. A little confusing. Thank you :smile:
Reply 981
Anyone heard from CMS post Watson Glaser?

Applied late December.
Original post by TrainingChopeful
How would you attempt the Q 'How would you summarise what makes us different from other law firms?' the question only allows 60 words so not a lot of room to elaborate. I have literally listed 3 things. But on their website they state on the 'why them' question (Which there isn't one specifically other than this) to include 'why you'. A little confusing. Thank you :smile:

60 words is brutal! I think if you can somehow tie it into how what makes them different works for you? So hypothetically if the firm has half their offices in China, you could take that as a point that makes them different and combine it with the fact that you speak fluent Mandarin (hypothetically of course!). Hope this helps!
Offer from Hogan Lovells! :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque

Woo! Congratulations! :biggrin:
What do you guys think are the most likely competencies to come up in a competency based interview for a vac scheme? I.e. Give me an example of a time you demonstrated X? What are the most common Xs?

Any competencies that you have been asked to demonstrate that were 'out of the blue' or unusual?
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
60 words is brutal! I think if you can somehow tie it into how what makes them different works for you? So hypothetically if the firm has half their offices in China, you could take that as a point that makes them different and combine it with the fact that you speak fluent Mandarin (hypothetically of course!). Hope this helps!

Thank you - that is real helpful! I might keep it to 2 points and then demonstrate why that works for me :smile:
Original post by thomasllf
What do you guys think are the most likely competencies to come up in a competency based interview for a vac scheme? I.e. Give me an example of a time you demonstrated X? What are the most common Xs?

Any competencies that you have been asked to demonstrate that were 'out of the blue' or unusual?

The first ones that spring to mind:

Leadership; teamwork; resilience; responsibility for others; overcoming an unexpected challenge; communication; relationship building; creativity/innovation; problem solving.

Obviously a lot of those overlap so you may be able to use the same answer for a number of different competencies.
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Woo! Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thank you! All the best for your upcoming interviews. :smile:

Congrats bud! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! :smile:

Congratulations Kidioteque!
The first ones that spring to mind:

Leadership; teamwork; resilience; responsibility for others; overcoming an unexpected challenge; communication; relationship building; creativity/innovation; problem solving.

Obviously a lot of those overlap so you may be able to use the same answer for a number of different competencies.

These are all really good, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Defragmentation
Congrats bud! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ScroogeHumbug
Well done! :smile:

Original post by mcrlawstudent
Congratulations Kidioteque!

How great is our little community of vacation scheme chasers? :lol: Thanks, you guys. All the best to you all for any upcoming applications/interviews!
By the way, out of interest, how long did you all spend preparing for an Assessment centre? Would spending three days on one be sufficient or is that going over the top?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just saw this! Congrats!
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Just saw this! Congrats!

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by J-SP
Bit OTT in my opinion. You should do some research/reading on the firm and also review your own application again, but apart from that you can't really prepare.

Should I not try to prepare preliminary answers to certain competency questions and generic questions they may ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998
How long did it take for anyone to hear back from Linklaters after taking the Watson glaser?
Original post by ZaraW
How long did it take for anyone to hear back from Linklaters after taking the Watson glaser?

I have not even got a link to the Watson Glaser test. I applied on the 24th of November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending