Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    Or, as it has already been stated, the institution makes the biggest difference, not the actual degree you do when it comes to an industry like IB.
    I did work experience at Barclays Capital and most people did have maths/phys/engineering degrees from a really varied range of unis: some oxbridge, some russell, some pretty mid table so I don't think it does matter than much

They did actually say at one point the head of the trading floor refused to hire anyone with an economics degree haha

ReputationRep:
    yeah i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    maybe bath then, they've given out a fair few offers already so you could have a look on university connect at how well people have performed at gcse and AS to compare yourself too?

I got an offer from Bath approx. 24 hours after my application went off, A*AA for Econ with year out, I got 4 A’s at AS and A*A*AA predicted (Maths, F.Maths, Econ, Physics respectively). At GCSE I got 8 A* 3A.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody received an offer from Warwick - I’m really curious?

ReputationRep:
    Just got an unconditional offer for Econs at LSE got an offer at Warwick quite some time ago haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klaustrophobic)
    Just got an unconditional offer for Econs at LSE got an offer at Warwick quite some time ago haha
    Wow congrats! May I ask what your stats are? Also where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberrysnow)
    Wow congrats! May I ask what your stats are? Also where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm an international student! Basically straight A's for my A-levels (since we don't have A* here).

ReputationRep:
    I doubt econ graduates from lse Oxbridge or Warwick struggle to get into investment banking, lets be honest here haha

ReputationRep:
    So for IB does Cambridge econ trump lse econ sheerly due to the fact that it is 'Cambridge' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    I doubt econ graduates from lse Oxbridge or Warwick struggle to get into investment banking, lets be honest here haha
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Why?
    They're the most competitive economics courses in the country with the breadth in modules to cover some banking. Oxbridge have supervision whilst lse have lse100 which rounds their students, plus both have great institutional reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavisideDelts)
    wouldnt have thought so. Economics is arguable one of the few subjects to go somewhere else over LSE. Certainly for IB going to LSE trumps Oxford but i think LSE and Cambridge Econ will get you to the same places (but that is the straight economics course at LSE...not the joint honours ones which are alot less reputed)
    Ah cool, that's the answer I was hoping for as I think starting off in London would just be so much more convenient anyway plus more nightlife for uni years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeavisideDelts)
    I wouldnt include warwick for IB...its a fine place for econ but not as strong as oxbridge/lse/imperial for IB
    Fair, just trying not to upset any Warwick fanboys/fangirls

ReputationRep:
    In other news... offer from Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danialani_)
    In other news... offer from Loughborough
    Woo! Congratulations! Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Congratulations! Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you love! Nottingham, Birmingham, Queen Mary and Leicester. Got an offer from Leicester on Tuesday too How about you, where have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    My predicted grades are AAA in Maths, History, and Business Studies. I plan on achieving A*AA and then having a gap year next year and doing further maths and economics AS levels in this gap year. I will then apply with (hopefully) A*AA in Maths, History, and Business Studies, A in general studies and A in EPQ with predicted AA in further maths and economics AS levels. Do you think I will have a good chance at getting an offer for Economics at LSE with this? I know business studies is a soft subject, and the lack of further maths/economics AS levels this year has put me at a big disadvantage. So by taking a gap year and doing this do you think I will have a better chance? Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danialani_)
    Thank you love! Nottingham, Birmingham, Queen Mary and Leicester. Got an offer from Leicester on Tuesday too How about you, where have you applied?
    Ooh those are all quite campus-y right?

I've applied to cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds, and I've got offers from the last two

I'm guessing nottingham is your top one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooh those are all quite campus-y right?

I've applied to cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds, and I've got offers from the last two

I'm guessing nottingham is your top one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah they are, wow those are amazing unis! Best of luck! And yes Nottingham is my top choice

ReputationRep:
    Wishing i applied to bath over surrey...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.