Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    Hey,

I'm sitting my UKCAT in 49 days, currently practicing a lot but timing is a massive issue, and even with longer, I'm still getting questions wrong!!

For the DA, wight he questions that provide the english statement first and you have to choose the most appropriate coded answer, does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle that? Are people working out each code and matching it to the statement, or making their own code from the statement and comparing?

Does anyone have any good resources for QA too? Been looking at gcse bitesize and it's a bit naff.

Cheers

Rich
    49 days!? Christ, be careful you don't run out of resources. That's way too soon to start revising in my opinion, but to each their own.

For DA, you have enough time to fully translate the code on the paper you are given. From there you can just look at the possibilities and choose the best match.

For QR, medify was the best resource I used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm sitting my UKCAT in 49 days, currently practicing a lot but timing is a massive issue, and even with longer, I'm still getting questions wrong!!

For the DA, wight he questions that provide the english statement first and you have to choose the most appropriate coded answer, does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle that? Are people working out each code and matching it to the statement, or making their own code from the statement and comparing?

Does anyone have any good resources for QA too? Been looking at gcse bitesize and it's a bit naff.

Cheers

Rich
    Yeah 49 days is way too long to start revising, you might not run out of resources but you'll probably run out of steam!

For the DA questions with coded answers, I write out 'ABCDE' and then go through each one in my head, crossing out the ones that don't match the phrase. That's the quickest way I found anyway..

For QR I used Medify and the Kaplan book, both were very good. Don't use the 600Q book it's 10X more difficult than the real thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Yeah 49 days is way too long to start revising, you might not run out of resources but you'll probably run out of steam!

For the DA questions with coded answers, I write out 'ABCDE' and then go through each one in my head, crossing out the ones that don't match the phrase. That's the quickest way I found anyway..

For QR I used Medify and the Kaplan book, both were very good. Don't use the 600Q book it's 10X more difficult than the real thing

Yeah I know it's very early. But I did the ukcat last year, didnt revise much at all and failed miserably. The way of thinking in the ukcat doesn't come naturally to me sadly, so gotta work for it. I'm pretty determined so I know I won't run out of steam ;-).

Ah thanks yeah, I'll give that a go. Yeah the 600 question book for qr is ridiculous! And what about for vr? For the harder style questions where it's not true false can't tell. I think I'm going to guess those ones, flag them and come back if I have time as they take ages! That sound like a pants idea?

Rich

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know it's very early. But I did the ukcat last year, didnt revise much at all and failed miserably. The way of thinking in the ukcat doesn't come naturally to me sadly, so gotta work for it. I'm pretty determined so I know I won't run out of steam ;-).

Ah thanks yeah, I'll give that a go. Yeah the 600 question book for qr is ridiculous! And what about for vr? For the harder style questions where it's not true false can't tell. I think I'm going to guess those ones, flag them and come back if I have time as they take ages! That sound like a pants idea?

Rich
    Yeah that's not a great idea as they make up the majority of the VR questions. For those, the best idea is to read the question first, choose a keyword from each answer (or one keyword if all the answers have it in), and skim read the passage.

You'll get a lot faster with practise so don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks. Aiming for 750! Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here applying in their 3rd year of their undergraduate degree? I feel so overwhelmed by mature students haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    Is anyone here applying in their 3rd year of their undergraduate degree? I feel so overwhelmed by mature students haha.
    I graduated a few weeks ago so definitely not a mature student! As far as I'm aware, the majority of GEM applicants are finishing/just out of uni..

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2014 so I'll be 23 when I start hopefully!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I graduated a few weeks ago too and I'll be 22 when I start if I get in :-)
    Personally I prefer mature students so I'm looking forward to not starting a course with a load of 18 year olds!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I graduated a few weeks ago too and I'll be 22 when I start if I get in :-)
    Personally I prefer mature students so I'm looking forward to not starting a course with a load of 18 year olds!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be 26 when (if) i start next sept. Am I classed as mature now!? Hope not!!

ReputationRep:
    I believe so! I think you're classed as mature when you're 25+

ReputationRep:
    On paper I think you are but my bf is 26 and I would not ever think he would be classed as a mature student so in the eyes of students, you're still a spring chicken haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xertyl)
    Hi

I am a second year(third year in september) biomedical sciences student, with a high 2:1 average and prediction. I'm gonna be sitting the UKCAT soon, and have done a fair bit of work experience. I'm definitely applying to imperial, anyone else?
    As far as i'm aware, you have to sit the BMAT to apply to Imperial and (this may be completely wrong) Imperial have recently changed the funding so that you have to pay your tuition fees yourself..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    As far as i'm aware, you have to sit the BMAT to apply to Imperial and (this may be completely wrong) Imperial have recently changed the funding so that you have to pay your tuition fees yourself..
    Yeah I'm sort of gambling on the BMAT, and I hope because of the tuition fees, there will be less applicants. I do think it's an amazing uni in one of the best locations

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2014 so if I get in this year, I'll be 23 when I start.

Are any graduates applying for 5 year courses?
    Do you have a higher chance of getting an interview for a 5 year course as a graduate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssBee_92)

Do you have a higher chance of getting an interview for a 5 year course as a graduate?
    I'm exactly the same age as you! Graduated 2014 with 2.1 in physiology. I am applying to Manchester 5 year. Depends on my UKCAT to determine the other 2. In applying to Liverpool 4 year also but my gamsat mark is touch and go if it is high enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssBee_92)

I'm the same age too, although I only just graduated (I did a 4 year course)

I'm applying to one 5 year course in the hope that this will be slightly easier than the gem ones.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I recently graduated with a 2.1 in medical engineering and I've decided to go for it & apply this year. Only I think I'm lacking work experience...
    I've done 4 weeks at a GP's, Cancer research charity shop for 2 months and I'm trying to get some voluntary work at a care home but the DBS is killing me!
    Reading through this thread and seeing that people have got months, if not years of experience is really making me doubt myself... :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Does anyone know how many Graduate entry Medicine places there are at St Georges and Liverpool?

How do these two universities shortlist applicants for interview? Do they use academic performance of students in the shortlisting process? If they use thresholds for GAMSAT, what were the minimum scores in the last few years?

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szasurgeongal)
    Hey!
    I recently graduated with a 2.1 in medical engineering and I've decided to go for it & apply this year. Only I think I'm lacking work experience...
    I've done 4 weeks at a GP's, Cancer research charity shop for 2 months and I'm trying to get some voluntary work at a care home but the DBS is killing me!
    Reading through this thread and seeing that people have got months, if not years of experience is really making me doubt myself... :/
    Apparently it's not the quantity of the work experience that counts, it's how well you can reflect on it during an interview... Plenty of people have got into GEM with only a couple of weeks of work experience

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.