Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread Watch

Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did awful on this paper my mark is definitely in the 50s(if I have got right what I think I got right) I didn't get very far in both of the last parts of question 8, when I was doing 8c I didn't even understand the question it was that hard and for 8b I was stuck with square roots of quadratics of x.For the triangle one I ended up with Cosh2t which isn't independent of x, I am not quite exactly sure how you were supposed to show that reduction formula result I evaluated I1=1 and then wrote I3 and I5 in terms of I1 and then just quoted the result, the pattern was obvious but I am not sure whether they wanted something more rigorous.Timing was a big problem on this paper(they wasted loads of our time by asking us to find 3 normalised eigenvectors) I didn't really have enough time at the end to fully have a good go at the question, I wasn't even sure how to represent the points I ended up just selecting points finding their midpoints and finding the line between them.

I did the June 2009 and got 75 and one of my friends did the June 2014 and didn't think it was too bad(I think the last question now might have been very similar to the hyperbola one on June 2014 but we got no help this time and grade boundaries for that were 55 for an A I think) so grade boundaries have got to be in the low 50s and I would not be surprised for an A to be in the 40s, it has happened on rare occasions.
xyzmaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
I did awful on this paper my mark is definitely in the 50s(if I have got right what I think I got right) I didn't get very far in both of the last parts of question 8, when I was doing 8c I didn't even understand the question it was that hard and for 8b I was stuck with square roots of quadratics of x.For the triangle one I ended up with Cosh2t which isn't independent of x, I am not quite exactly sure how you were supposed to show that reduction formula result I evaluated I1=1 and then wrote I3 and I5 in terms of I1 and then just quoted the result, the pattern was obvious but I am not sure whether they wanted something more rigorous.Timing was a big problem on this paper(they wasted loads of our time by asking us to find 3 normalised eigenvectors) I didn't really have enough time at the end to fully have a good go at the question, I wasn't even sure how to represent the points I ended up just selecting points finding their midpoints and finding the line between them.

I did the June 2009 and got 75 and one of my friends did the June 2014 and didn't think it was too bad(I think the last question now might have been very similar to the hyperbola one on June 2014 but we got no help this time and grade boundaries for that were 55 for an A I think) so grade boundaries have got to be in the low 50s and I would not be surprised for an A to be in the 40s, it has happened on rare occasions.
Highly unlikely
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xyzmaster)
Highly unlikely
Well it was 50 for an A on June 2009 and I got 75 on that paper it really wasn't that hard I probably still think it will be around low 50s but it could be in the 40s.I have seen numerous people on this website call it the hardest paper ever, one of my friends(an A* student) thinks they might not have even passed the paper it could well be below 50 for an A.Having sat STEP a lot of the hardest questions were almost STEP like.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If someone gives me the paper I will do solutions for very late tonight or tomorrow morning
(Note I do not go to third party sites/downloads etc. Only attachments here)
xyzmaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
If someone gives me the paper I will do solutions for very late tonight or tomorrow morning
(Note I do not go to third party sites/downloads etc. Only attachments here)
I don't think anyone has access to one
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by xyzmaster)
I don't think anyone has access to one
any teacher which works in a school which had at least a candidate on this paper will have access.
Elcor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
any teacher which works in a school which had at least a candidate on this paper will have access.
Why don't you have it then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Why don't you have it then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not a schoolteacher.
Gome44
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chazatthekeys)
I'm pretty confident these are the correct solutions - but I didn't have the question paper, and I've forgotten the vector question - I didn't remember the vectors A, B or C

Sorry if it's a bit messy

It's on this google drive (the file was too big):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...DA&usp=sharing
Messed up the area of OQR, for some reason i put Q on the y axis :/
Rubgangsci
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No Arsey?
Chazatthekeys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
Whoops - Q/R were on y=x/y=-x
dph96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by soundhippo)
which uni gives an E offer... lmao
LSE
Chazatthekeys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rubgangsci)
No Arsey?
Don't think he does FP3 - I did some rough solutions (but couldn't remember vectors question)
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whoops - Q/R were on y=x/y=-x
Yep, its annoying because i had 35 mins to check. My raw mark should equate to 100 ums though judging by the difficulty
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The answer was 1 whoo .

Posted from TSR Mobile
S_Light
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
did anyone get 1/root10 for distance from plane to the origin?
Chazatthekeys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep, its annoying because i had 35 mins to check. My raw mark should equate to 100 ums though judging by the difficulty
Yeah I finished about that time also - just like 30 mins of just re reading it all like 10 times aha
Chazatthekeys
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by S_Light)
did anyone get 1/root10 for distance from plane to the origin?
This is the correct answer 😊
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I finished about that time also - just like 30 mins of just re reading it all like 10 times aha
Damn thats quick. Fp3 was the first time i havent finished an exam paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
The answer was 1 whoo .

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought op was the height so multiplied it by qr and by a 1/2 and got Cosh^2t+Sinh^2t so not quite right.For 8b it didn't seem to work doing it algebraically without involving e using (+-sqrt3,0) as the focuses and (x,y) as the coordinates and using x^2+4y^2=4 just gave a big mess of square roots of quadratic equations of x.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads