Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Hey guys,

As the title says, what is the view you hold deemed most "controversial" in this society we live in today in Britain?
    Religion shouldn't be taught in schools apart from in history as it's no longer relevant to society. School is for fact learning, not fairy tales.
    *prepares for backlash*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I like ike.

Nahhh

I have more pain inside my brain than in the eyes of a little girl in a plane aimed at the world trade.
    David Ike?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    David Ike?
    I dunno - seemed to piss off some Russians on Indiana Jones lol

ReputationRep:
    I dunno - seemed to piss off some Russians on Indiana Jones lol
    I'm confused what are you on about? LOL
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm confused what are you on about? LOL
    The I like ike was just a bad attempt at humor

ReputationRep:
    The I like ike was just a bad attempt at humor
    I'm so lost, what even is IKE? i dont geddittt
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm so lost, what even is IKE? i dont geddittt
    I don't even know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    New controversial view of the day: I think the government should encourage people who have gotten pregnant to get an abortion IF they cannot look after the child after it has been born. It is a burden on society to expect the state to pay for your child and I think you should only have children if AT THE TIME you are socially and economically stable.
    Pregnancy and the creation of human life isn't an economical situation. It requires human compassion, and it is an intensely personal thing. Nobody should ever be encouraged to have or not to have an abortion, and it should be the mother's choice and the mother's alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katinthehat)
    Pregnancy and the creation of human life isn't an economical situation. It requires human compassion, and it is an intensely personal thing. Nobody should ever be encouraged to have or not to have an abortion, and it should be the mother's choice and the mother's alone.

Isn't an economical situation? Ofcourse it is, there are many people who intentionally have children in order to gain more benefits or to exploit the welfare system. Why should the tax payer be obliged to pay for someone's child because their parents could not do in the first place and thus decreased their quality of life? Human compassion is definatley an important part in raising a child- but there's little use for it if the child does not have food on the table is there...

ReputationRep:
    You make a fair point. I just don't think the state should have the right to interfere in your pregnancy. There are social welfare programmes for disadvantaged kids, so it's not as if they're a guaranteed nunce. Sometimes, though, you make mistakes, and if you're anti-abortion you shouldn't have the prospect of it shoved in your face. I myself am not, but I respect other potential mothers might be. I should hope in this country that there are options for you if you a struggling to financially raise a child. I don't think you should discount a life because you're not sure it'll be worthwhile, you never know what the child has to give.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on now, does raising a child not cost money anymore? When did that happen... Last I checked raising a child is actually one of the most costly things a couple can decide to do. Google "average cost raising a child UK" and tell me the figures you see aren't staggering.

Please. Tell me how you plan to raise your child solely on "human compassion", on the streets in a cardboard box?

ReputationRep:
    You make a fair point. I just don't think the state should have the right to interfere in your pregnancy. There are social welfare programmes for disadvantaged kids, so it's not as if they're a guaranteed nunce. Sometimes, though, you make mistakes, and if you're anti-abortion you shouldn't have the prospect of it shoved in your face. I myself am not, but I respect other potential mothers might be. I should hope in this country that there are options for you if you a struggling to financially raise a child. I don't think you should discount a life because you're not sure it'll be worthwhile, you never know what the child has to give.
    In my view if the state is paying to essentially help raise your child, then it kind of does have a "right" to have a say as the tax payer is like a third parent in some situations. I disagree with the last part of your argument. It's not "dicounting" life. I'll put it to you this way. Lets say a woman is pregant during a drought in a country with a low quality of life. Would you advise her to abort the child, for it to not be bought up into a world of suffering due to its unfortuante circumstances that it could not control or would you let it be born as all life is "holy" and deserves equality? I know the first option is the most ostensible.

I'd imagine the idea of voting for UKIP to be a controversial view from someone of my background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    I'd imagine the idea of voting for UKIP to be a controversial view from someone of my background.
    What UKIP policies have attracted you to their party aside from a cap on immigration?

What UKIP policies have attracted you to their party aside from a cap on immigration?
    The review of all new 3,600 EU laws introduced since 2010 which hamper the UK and the unnecessary demands by the EU e.g debts

Removal of bedroom tax
    Employment in favour of UK nationals over EU nationals and international workers.

Just name a few things.

ReputationRep:
    That Olivier Giroud and Jack Wilshere should be sold ASAP by Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    That moral claims are objectively true/false :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Why do they "deserve" to? What if women are better at the same job?

(Original post by binarythoughts)
    Why?
    Until society ceases to expect men to pay for most things (dates, meals, drinks, expensive gifts etc) only then both sexes should have the same amount of disposable income.

Obviously we're talking within the context of a man and a women having the same job on the same level of the hierarchy. Of course if someone is better or works harder they should be rewarded for it.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    He won't have a logical answer. He just thinks men are superior.
    Ahh, making a wild assumption before actually asking for the reasoning behind such an opinion. Either you're not very intelligent or you're quite bitter?

ReputationRep:
    Because what kind of human can condem a persons cruelty, with cruelty.
    In my opinion to want harm to come to another is one of the worst traits a person can have.
    We have human rights for a reason and that's because we as a society have realised that cruelty is never justified.
    True sometimes you can argue that the ends justify the means, however by making a person suffer there is no possitive outcome.
    Prison should be a place of rehabilitation, not petty revenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Mind)
    Because what kind of human can condem a persons cruelty, with cruelty.
    In my opinion to want harm to come to another is one of the worst traits a person can have.
    We have human rights for a reason and that's because we as a society have realised that cruelty is never justified.
    True sometimes you can argue that the ends justify the means, however by making a person suffer there is no possitive outcome.
    Prison should be a place of rehabilitation, not petty revenge.
    My quote didn't work
    It was meant to be addressed to those saying that prisoners should be made to suffer

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.