Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nyolg)
So it's at most 10 minutes away on the bike and what I used to do was to buy a fair bunch of those marvelous pizzas and eat them all day long. If you have something else for breakfast the pizza is enough for a lunch and a dinner, hence you can get by 4 quid a day for food. AND you're having pizza every day. This strategy has not weak points, has it?

BTW, what about Lidl? Is there one anywhere close? Over the time I spent in the UK I managed to create a little list of where to get what to minimise expenditures, and Lidl is kinda major thing in my plan :confused:
There's an Aldi up near Castle Hill. Head up the hill until you get to a hand car wash (with Lucy Cavendish/St Ed's roughly off to your left), then turn right at the roundabout. Head straight down that road past a pub with "Grapes" in the name and an Indian takeaway and stuff and the Aldi is on your left near the Esso garage. It's only a 30 minute walk from Pembroke so you shouldn't miss it!

I think I looked into Lidl but there wasn't one close, and the Aldi should do the job.
Nyolg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
There's an Aldi up near Castle Hill. Head up the hill until you get to a hand car wash (with Lucy Cavendish/St Ed's roughly off to your left), then turn right at the roundabout. Head straight down that road past a pub with "Grapes" in the name and an Indian takeaway and stuff and the Aldi is on your left near the Esso garage. It's only a 30 minute walk from Pembroke so you shouldn't miss it!

I think I looked into Lidl but there wasn't one close, and the Aldi should do the job.
I guess it'll have to, as I've just checked on Lidl and it's like in another country :| Oh well, I'll have to rewrite my little list. Thanks for the directions
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nyolg)
So it's at most 10 minutes away on the bike and what I used to do was to buy a fair bunch of those marvelous pizzas and eat them all day long. If you have something else for breakfast the pizza is enough for a lunch and a dinner, hence you can get by 4 quid a day for food. AND you're having pizza every day. This strategy has not weak points, has it?

BTW, what about Lidl? Is there one anywhere close? Over the time I spent in the UK I managed to create a little list of where to get what to minimise expenditures, and Lidl is kinda major thing in my plan :confused:
Just a warning - there's no way to cook a pizza in the gyp rooms bar a microwave, which is far too small for all but the tiniest. Sainsburys is great because they cook it for you and it's still hot when you get back, but I'm not sure if either of those is true at Asda. Either way, VVF went to Asda once and was never the same again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nyolg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Theflyingbarney)
Just a warning - there's no way to cook a pizza in the gyp rooms bar a microwave, which is far too small for all but the tiniest. Sainsburys is great because they cook it for you and it's still hot when you get back, but I'm not sure if either of those is true at Asda. Either way, VVF went to Asda once and was never the same again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, you could possibly cook your pizza in the microwave piece by piece... Or, as I once did, put it diagonally, when it's still on the cardbord and held with foil. Yup, I was quite desperate.

BTW, VVF?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you referring specifically to Foundress? Because there are ovens in some college accommodation. The kitchen I had in Lensfield for 2 years had a mini-oven thing that was great for pizzas. :awesome:
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
Are you referring specifically to Foundress? Because there are ovens in some college accommodation. The kitchen I had in Lensfield for 2 years had a mini-oven thing that was great for pizzas. :awesome:
Yeah, but back in your day didn't they also have the "Woven"? :p:

Things change, sadly. Like the departure of Kit Smart. And Marie, one of the kittens who replaced her. Rumour has it someone from another college catnapped her...

(Original post by Nyolg)
BTW, VVF?
I'm guessing, but "Veni Vidi Fugi"?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, but back in your day didn't they also have the "Woven"? :p:
Indeed they did. :yep:

Things change, sadly. Like the departure of Kit Smart. And Marie, one of the kittens who replaced her. Rumour has it someone from another college catnapped her...
:eek: Things didn't need to change. :sigh:
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So guys, what can you tell me about New Court? That's where I'll be living next year.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nyolg)
BTW, VVF?
I'm guessing, but "Veni Vidi Fugi"?
There's your answer!

(Original post by alex_hk90)
New Court, but yes. Looking forward to having something that even slightly resembles an oven in 2 Selwyn next year.

(Original post by DJMayes)
So guys, what can you tell me about New Court? That's where I'll be living next year.
New Court is awesome. The rooms are a bit bigger than the Foundress ones on average, and the problems you might expect with old rooms (cold, thin walls etc) are exaggerated - I was never really much more cold than at home, and noise wasn't too much of a problem when the next staircase wasn't having parties The only slightly annoying thing was that the showers were all in the basement and the student:shower ratio was higher than in Foundress, but in actual fact I only had to wait once all year. Other than that, yeah, the rooms are really nice, although to be honest most of the freshers' rooms are fairly homogeneous so there's not much of an advantage to be gained either way other than personal taste.
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's your answer!

New Court, but yes. Looking forward to having something that even slightly resembles an oven in 2 Selwyn next year.

New Court is awesome. The rooms are a bit bigger than the Foundress ones on average, and the problems you might expect with old rooms (cold, thin walls etc) are exaggerated - I was never really much more cold than at home, and noise wasn't too much of a problem when the next staircase wasn't having parties The only slightly annoying thing was that the showers were all in the basement and the student:shower ratio was higher than in Foundress, but in actual fact I only had to wait once all year. Other than that, yeah, the rooms are really nice, although to be honest most of the freshers' rooms are fairly homogeneous so there's not much of an advantage to be gained either way other than personal taste.
Sweet, glad to hear it. Open question to any current students: what is your personal favourite accommodation in college (out of Old Court, New Court, Orchard Buildings, Foundress, and Red Buildings)?
Lost And Confused
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello all you lovely people
I'm in BLANK (interestingly, in the room below where I was for interviews) and was wondering if you could clear something up?

Basically, I applied for the middle price bracket, and I thought that Red Buildings were the bottom one? However my bill is £97 per week (which I think is consistent with middle price bracket) - does this mean that I have a particularly nice room for the red buildings? :crossedf: Or is £97pw actually now in the bottom price bracket, with all other accommodation also having the price increased?

Otherwise: does anyone know what the room is like? And what size are the beds (ie regular single, or 2ft6 wide)?
Thanks in advance!
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lost And Confused)
I'm in [redacted] (interestingly, in the room below where I was for interviews) and was wondering if you could clear something up?

Basically, I applied for the middle price bracket, and I thought that Red Buildings were the bottom one? However my bill is £97 per week (which I think is consistent with middle price bracket) - does this mean that I have a particularly nice room for the red buildings? :crossedf: Or is £97pw actually now in the bottom price bracket, with all other accommodation also having the price increased?

Otherwise: does anyone know what the room is like? And what size are the beds (ie regular single, or 2ft6 wide)?
Thanks in advance!
I believe that room is quite large, since an acquaintance had his drum kit in there in first year (if it's the first one on the right as you go into the staircase) - which might explain the higher rent. The beds are pretty small; they're meant to be regular single, but I think I made it 6ft x 3ft. In any event, standard fitted sheets will do. :yy:

£97pw may well be the bottom bracket if everything's increased in price. I think Sockpirate was the last person to quote the latest figures, so best ask her.

EDIT: Best edit out your room number, too, lest you get a warning from my colleagues.
Lost And Confused
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe that room is quite large, since an acquaintance had his drum kit in there in first year (if it's the first one on the right as you go into the staircase) - which might explain the higher rent. The beds are pretty small; they're meant to be regular single, but I think I made it 6ft x 3ft. In any event, standard fitted sheets will do. :yy:

£97pw may well be the bottom bracket if everything's increased in price. I think Sockpirate was the last person to quote the latest figures, so best ask her.

EDIT: Best edit out your room number, too, lest you get a warning from my colleagues.
Thank you very (very) much It sounds really good to me
And I don't care so much about the exact size so long as I can just use the fitted sheets we have at home without much trouble :rolleyes: Now to compile that massive post-exams list of questions that I promised you in April...
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
Thanks very much It sounds really good to me
And I don't care so much about the exact size so long as I can just use the fitted sheets we have at home without much trouble :rolleyes: Now to compile that massive post-exams list of questions that I promised you in April...
Haha, I'd forgotten about that list! :lol: Looking forward to it...
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in BLANK (interestingly, in the room below where I was for interviews) and was wondering if you could clear something up?

Thanks in advance!
I am in New Court and have rent of approximately ~£85 per week, so it's certainly not the bottom price band unless I've got extremely lucky. I applied for the middle as well.
Lost And Confused
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am in New Court and have rent of approximately ~£85 per week, so it's certainly not the bottom price band unless I've got extremely lucky. I applied for the middle as well.
That does sound pretty amazing - I was hoping for New Court originally :unimpressed:
However I form irrationally strong bonds quickly, so give it a week and I'll be claiming that my room is better than The Ritz
bananarama2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
85 ! Mines 105 at Emma!

Plus new court is really beautiful. I'm jealous.

Btw do you know anything about Lagrange multipliers?

Edit: I keep ending up in this thread by mistake and I'm not even going to Pembroke.
mischief-managed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can anyone tell me how the floor systems works in foundress court? like are all the rooms beginning with 1 on the first floor, those beginning with 2 on the second etc?
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bananarama2)
85 ! Mines 105 at Emma!

Plus new court is really beautiful. I'm jealous.

Btw do you know anything about Lagrange multipliers?

Edit: I keep ending up in this thread by mistake and I'm not even going to Pembroke.
Well; it's £85 to begin with - thanks to receipt of the full maintenance grant I should receive a 30% rent rebate off the average room price so the room will probably cost ~£60 per week after all is said and done.

Regarding Lagrange Multipliers, I'm fairly sure I did do them at some point over the summer. What's your question?
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mischief-managed)
can anyone tell me how the floor systems works in foundress court? like are all the rooms beginning with 1 on the first floor, those beginning with 2 on the second etc?
Foundress is like an L shape, and the room number isn't as important as the "staircase" (AA, BB or CC).

AA 1-5 are at the back of college near the back gate; the quickest way to those is via the side door near the hedge. I believe (but can't recall for sure) that the higher AA numbers are upstairs, with the lower ones downstairs.

BB's the "weird" part of Foundress that takes some getting used to! It's the corner of the L.

CC is accessed via the path near the Master's Lodge; the higher numbers are upstairs. In theory, most of Foundress inter-links (you can walk all the way along the second floor and, I think, the first floor), but you can't walk all the way along the ground floor. You can, however, get to most places through the basement.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads