Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling about language on June 2nd? I always struggle with time and so does everyone in my school to be honest. Don't see the point in a time limit really, if you can do it, surely it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy0709)
    How is everyone feeling about language on June 2nd? I always struggle with time and so does everyone in my school to be honest. Don't see the point in a time limit really, if you can do it, surely it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:
    1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval
    Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.
    Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article..."
    Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.
    Conclusion sentence ("Overall"
    Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression
    Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question
    There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.
    Put your points into three different topics/categories.
    Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)
    Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in"
    Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise
    Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.
    Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)
    Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast
    Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)
    Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer
    Example plan:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cost Bands
    Wade: Wade:
    Ridiculous pricing hardly hear them
    Drinks expensive crushed and cramped

Boyce: Boyce:
    over-priced food fantastic
    reasonable admission shiver with joy
    Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)
    You don't need any analysis!
    Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.
    Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cost
    Wade believes the cost of Glastonbury to be ridiculous, saying the tents are 'inadequate and cheap', the drinks expensive 'pay over the odds for a pint' and the tickets ridiculous at '£185'. Boyce partially agrees saying the food is 'overpriced tat', however he feels the admission cost is 'quote reasonable', which differs from Wade's opinion

Bands
    Wade had a bad experience with bands, as you can 'barely hear the bands let alone see them' also, Wade highlights the 'crush' with the only thing possible being 'a bit of swaying'. Boyce's opinion is completely different, however, he thinks the music is 'fantastic' and full of 'variety' leaving 'experiences that will stay with [him] forever' and him to 'shiver with joy'

Overall, the writers' opinions on cost are slightly similar while Wade feels negative about bands and Boyce speaks positively about them. This overall opinion is present in both texts throughout, with Boyce only slightly highlighting the negative aspects of Glastonbury.
    Writing:
    1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:
    Reports
    Speeches
    Articles
    Review
    Formal/Informal letters
    Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.
    If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.
    Overall tips to remember.
    PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)
    A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissPlaying)
    I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:
    1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval
    Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.
    Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article..."
    Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.
    Conclusion sentence ("Overall"
    Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression
    Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question
    There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.
    Put your points into three different topics/categories.
    Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)
    Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in"
    Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise
    Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.
    Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)
    Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast
    Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)
    Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer
    Example plan:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cost Bands
    Wade: Wade:
    Ridiculous pricing hardly hear them
    Drinks expensive crushed and cramped

Boyce: Boyce:
    over-priced food fantastic
    reasonable admission shiver with joy
    Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)
    You don't need any analysis!
    Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.
    Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cost
    Wade believes the cost of Glastonbury to be ridiculous, saying the tents are 'inadequate and cheap', the drinks expensive 'pay over the odds for a pint' and the tickets ridiculous at '£185'. Boyce partially agrees saying the food is 'overpriced tat', however he feels the admission cost is 'quote reasonable', which differs from Wade's opinion

Bands
    Wade had a bad experience with bands, as you can 'barely hear the bands let alone see them' also, Wade highlights the 'crush' with the only thing possible being 'a bit of swaying'. Boyce's opinion is completely different, however, he thinks the music is 'fantastic' and full of 'variety' leaving 'experiences that will stay with [him] forever' and him to 'shiver with joy'

Overall, the writers' opinions on cost are slightly similar while Wade feels negative about bands and Boyce speaks positively about them. This overall opinion is present in both texts throughout, with Boyce only slightly highlighting the negative aspects of Glastonbury.
    Writing:
    1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:
    Reports
    Speeches
    Articles
    Review
    Formal/Informal letters
    Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.
    If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.
    Overall tips to remember.
    PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)
    A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps
    Wow thank you so much!! This helps me so much! People like you are hopefully going to save me retaking next year😄. One last question😉 - what does (PEA-EA-EA) etc. mean? Oh and where do you do your plan? The question booklet doesn't really look like it should be scribbled on to me, however maybe it would look better to the examiner if there was a plan in there? Thanks again.😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i misread the question completely and wrote about mr Birling and not mrs Birling, do you reckon i will get 0 marks for this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louis9991)
    i misread the question completely and wrote about mr Birling and not mrs Birling, do you reckon i will get 0 marks for this question?
    I know someone who did this last year and got a D however if you are an A grade student you obviously wouldn't fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    I know someone who did this last year and got a D however if you are an A grade student you obviously wouldn't fail
    Hmmm okay, well I'm a A/B student, but was just wondering if I would recieve any marks or get 0/20? A lot of my friends made the same mistake aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm okay, well I'm a A/B student, but was just wondering if I would recieve any marks or get 0/20? A lot of my friends made the same mistake aswell.
    I think you would probaby get a few but you wouldnt get a pass (C) on the AIC essay question, what do you expect, that's why you should always read the question properly

ReputationRep:
    I think you would probaby get a few but you wouldnt get a pass (C) on the AIC essay question, what do you expect, that's why you should always read the question properly
    Yes but overall I can still get a possible 40ish marks? And it's combined with coursework and unit 1 anyway right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but overall I can still get a possible 40ish marks? And it's combined with coursework and unit 1 anyway right?
    Possibly, i think the worst you would get is a B or a C not sure depends on how you did on unit 1 and the other book

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, i think the worst you would get is a B or a C not sure depends on how you did on unit 1 and the other book
    It's a mess up but it's not fatal im confident I'll still pass// get a B but yeah just a bit annoyed at my self

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn😔 you must be so annoyed. If you have referred to Mrs Birling in the question to the extent to which Mr Birling treats her, you may pick up a few marks, however I don't think you will get many. Also contextual evidence may boost you a little. I'm pretty sure to get the higher marks, the specification says your answer must be relevant to the question. Let's hope you have done well on the other books and get the grade you want. Don't worry about it until August now as there is no way you can change it. Try to nail language and all your other subjects and then have a long, relaxing summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmeren)
    I think they would definitely be the only character questions which would come up for Heroes... It's just whether or not it will be a theme style question. I really really hope it's Francis as the others have come up before.
    Well chuffed with the questions! Good guess by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn😔 you must be so annoyed. If you have referred to Mrs Birling in the question to the extent to which Mr Birling treats her, you may pick up a few marks, however I don't think you will get many. Also contextual evidence may boost you a little. I'm pretty sure to get the higher marks, the specification says your answer must be relevant to the question. Let's hope you have done well on the other books and get the grade you want. Don't worry about it until August now as there is no way you can change it. Try to nail language and all your other subjects and then have a long, relaxing summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thankyou random stranger of the Internet, litterature isn't one of my subjects I wanted to do well in anyway, obviously I wanted Bs and above in everything, but yeah life goes on, I'm sure I'll still get a B or a C, thankyou for making me feel slightly better about my self

ReputationRep:
    Wow thank you so much!! This helps me so much! People like you are hopefully going to save me retaking next year😄. One last question😉 - what does (PEA-EA-EA) etc. mean? Oh and where do you do your plan? The question booklet doesn't really look like it should be scribbled on to me, however maybe it would look better to the examiner if there was a plan in there? Thanks again.😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    P = Point
    E = Evidence (quotes)
    A = Analysis
    O = Overall argument

Plan in your answer booklet and cross it out with one single line, and you can highlight your question paper, but I don't recommend writing all over it, but rather write in your answer booklet.

thankyou random stranger of the Internet, litterature isn't one of my subjects I wanted to do well in anyway, obviously I wanted Bs and above in everything, but yeah life goes on, I'm sure I'll still get a B or a C, thankyou for making me feel slightly better about my self
    Also remember, you've got coursework (25%) and Paper 1 (35%) .. while this paper is worth the most (40%), you still have the other book you've studied, plus the extract question for AIC to boost you up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissPlaying)
    P = Point
    E = Evidence (quotes)
    A = Analysis
    O = Overall argument

Plan in your answer booklet and cross it out with one single line, and you can highlight your question paper, but I don't recommend writing all over it, but rather write in your answer booklet.
    Thank you once again. Will definitely use that approach in my real exam. I got A for the language exam in my mock but I think that when it doesn't count towards anything, my teacher just chooses who she likes best and because she likes me, she gave me a good score. :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well chuffed with the questions! Good guess by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks aha! Still wish social repsonsibility came up... but representation of women was pretty good too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMMoody199)
    How did you set out your Marco question? We'd been told before once that it was just a character analysis question in a different form. I did it like a letter to an actor, what did you do? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Kind of. I started off each paragraph with something along the lines of "The actor should present Marco like _____ by doing _______ because" & then went into reasons why. For the first blank I made my point (e.g "The actor should present Marco like a parental figure to Rodolfo") and for the second blank I described *what* the actor should do on stage in order to present it to the audience. So for this example I think I put something along the lines of he should always stand close to Rodolfo, and should always have a very serious tone to his voice especially when correcting Rodolfo when he's overexaggerating and stuff like that. Then I went into the analysis which was the bit afterwards (because whenever Rodolfo does something wrong such as taking Catherine home late, Marco always corrects him - "You come home early now, Rodolfo", showing that he was down-to-earth and serious in order to get as much money as possible for his family before he'd have to return to Italy).

It's similar to what we do in drama - we use quote and comment which is the same as evidence and analysis/speculation, and we use VMG (voice, movement and gesture) to describe why we said or did something a particular way, which is pretty much what I used for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SZaman99)
    I'm pretty sure that normal girls can be 'bare-legged' and not be prostitutes. Also it wasn't flesh for cash, it was 'flesh and cash', which changes your interpretation as it no longer symbolises body for money.
    Oh, I must have misread then. I suppose my mistake helped me though. And yes normal girls can be 'bare-legged' and not be prostitutes but prostitutes try to show as much 'flesh' as possible, not that I would know , whereas normal girls don't tend to be as scantily-clad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SZaman99)
    It was 'flesh and cash', not flesh for cash which negates the idea that the poem is about prostitution
    It was 'flesh and cash' not 'flesh for cash' but in the context, 'transactions of flesh and cash' implies the flesh for cash prostitution link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobolon)
    It was 'flesh and cash' not 'flesh for cash' but in the context, 'transactions of flesh and cash' implies the flesh for cash prostitution link.
    Oh who cares, the exams over, and you can't change it now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.