Turn on thread page Beta

Law Offers for 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHussainAli)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Students on the UK apply to university through a system called UCAS. A standard application consists of:
    A personal statement (1 A4 page about why you are suited for the course)
    A reference from your teacher
    Predicted Grades ( Predicted grades are an estimation of what you will get in your exams at the end of this year)

Universities then look at all these three elements and then give an "offer". An typical offer is the " conditional offer" this is where the university says to the applicant that of you get these results e.g. AAA we will accept you. An unconditional offer is where the university accepts you regardless of what you get in your exams
    This type of offer is rare and most are conditional offers.

Offers vary from course to course.
    For law some universities ask you take the LNAT test as part of the application process. Not all Universities ask for this. The score you achieve on this test is also a factor for universities when deciding to give you an offer or rejection.

So when people say I got an offer, they mean the university has accepted their application and of they get the required grades that the university asks for they will have gained full entry onto that course.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your effort, I still have few queries -
    1. To how many Universities can I send a single LSAT result ?
    2. Do I have to pay the fees twice? Like first the cost of application for the university which I am applying for and then for taking the LSAT?
    3. Do the estimated grades have to be exact? ( I know it depends on university but still how much can they forgive)

So to put it up (correct me I am wrong please)

I apply at the uni > fill form (tell estimated grades)> take LNAT> they send the result> uni decides what to do with me.

College's I should think about if I did good at LNAT practice tests and get around 85-90% in 12th class (final year of school)?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrisiS)
    Thanks for your effort, I still have few queries -
    1. To how many Universities can I send a single LSAT result ?
    2. Do I have to pay the fees twice? Like first the cost of application for the university which I am applying for and then for taking the LSAT?
    3. Do the estimated grades have to be exact? ( I know it depends on university but still how much can they forgive)

So to put it up (correct me I am wrong please)

I apply at the uni > fill form (tell estimated grades)> take LNAT> they send the result> uni decides what to do with me.

College's I should think about if I did good at LNAT practice tests and get around 85-90% in 12th class (final year of school)?

Thanks in advance
    1. You can send your LNAT results to all 11 universities that require LNAT if I'm not wrong. However, you can only select 5 universities for your UCAS application

2. UCAS application fee is around 20+ pounds whereas LNAT fees is around 60 pounds.

3. Does not have to be exact but I believe offers are given based on predicted grade. (Eg. If your predicted grades are AAA, you will likely to be given an offer on the condition that you obtain AAA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al9121010)
    1. You can send your LNAT results to all 11 universities that require LNAT if I'm not wrong. However, you can only select 5 universities for your UCAS application

2. UCAS application fee is around 20+ pounds whereas LNAT fees is around 60 pounds.

3. Does not have to be exact but I believe offers are given based on predicted grade. (Eg. If your predicted grades are AAA, you will likely to be given an offer on the condition that you obtain AAA)
    So in around 80 pounds I can take the LNAT and apply at 5 uni's through UCAS right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrisiS)
    So in around 80 pounds I can take the LNAT and apply at 5 uni's through UCAS right?
    Just double checked, LNAT cost £70 and UCAS application for 5 choices is £23. So, its £93 to be exact.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Birmingham yesterday! Anyone else applied through the A2B scheme? Haven't gotten my A2B offer yet

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer from Oxford

ReputationRep:
    UCL emailed me yesterday to say I hadn't done my LNAT which I had in fact done in November. So after sorting that out I'm now at the bottom of their pile for consideration which is a bit annoying, but hopefully it won't affect my application that much. I fear the same may have happened with Durham but they haven't replied to my emails yet. It's because I applied to UCL for English last year and decided to take a gap year and do Law instead so they were searching the LNAT database for my previous UCAS ID - anyone else having an issue like this?

On the bright side I just got an offer from LSE.

Congrats on offers everyone else! :~)

ReputationRep:
    anybody got anything back from Nottingham yet? I sent mine in November got offers for Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Reading but still waiting for Nottingham. Sat my lnat in November as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efoster221)
    anybody got anything back from Nottingham yet? I sent mine in November got offers for Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Reading but still waiting for Nottingham. Sat my lnat in November as well
    I am still waiting on 4 of my unis! LNAT in October, UCAS - first week of November.
    Waiting for Notts, Bristol, KCL, UCL
    ugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cewhite)
    The offer was for 3A's
    Its definately in my top 3 and i havent heard from my other 2 favourites! I havent visited Nottingham yet so not sure where that falls in terms of ranking!
    I have visited it! The campus was amazing and so are the modules! Will probs visit it again though
    Yes mine was too.
    What are your other two favourites?
    Oh good! I'm going to an offers open day but haven't seen it yet! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfradkin)
    I am still waiting on 4 of my unis! LNAT in October, UCAS - first week of November.
    Waiting for Notts, Bristol, KCL, UCL
    ugh
    Sent mine off a bit earlier than you and still waiting for Bristol, fingers crossed!
    I'm sure they'll reply soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seeunexttuesday)
    UCL emailed me yesterday to say I hadn't done my LNAT which I had in fact done in November. So after sorting that out I'm not at the bottom of their pile for consideration which is a bit annoying, but hopefully it won't affect my application that much. I fear the same may have happened with Durham but they haven't replied to my emails yet. It's because I applied to UCL for English last year and decided to take a gap year and do Law instead so they were searching the LNAT database for my previous UCAS ID - anyone else having an issue like this?

On the bright side I just got an offer from LSE.

Congrats on offers everyone else! :~)
    Congrats on LSE!! When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efoster221)
    i applied to nottigham at the same time and haven't heard back either i did my Lnat November to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra.marie)
    i applied to nottigham at the same time and haven't heard back either i did my Lnat November to
    the pain of waiting

ReputationRep:
    I applied to: UCL, King's, Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick.
    I've had offers from UCL (A*AA) and an unconditional from Birmingham (if I put it as my first choice, if not it's AAA.)

Has anyone else heard from King's, Bristol or Warwick yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)
    I've had offers from UCL (A*AA) and an unconditional from Birmingham (if I put it as my first choice, if not it's AAA.)

Congrats on your offers Can I ask you when did you apply as I am still waiting for UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)

Got an offer from Warwick today ( on my birthday ) Waiting on Bristol but that's because Im giving my LNAT next week. The payment clearance took ages for LNAT as Im a international student :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobkata)
    Congrats on your offers Can I ask you when did you apply as I am still waiting for UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

It was the 17th November, and I got an offer on the 22nd December. I was surprised they replied so quickly, I expected a long wait. Good luck, hopefully you'll hear soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsalanBac)
    Got an offer from Warwick today ( on my birthday ) Waiting on Bristol but that's because Im giving my LNAT next week. The payment clearance took ages for LNAT as Im a international student :/
    Congratulations on your offer!

Bristol seem to be taking their time this year for Law. I had an email about a month ago now telling me they're considering my application, but that's all I've heard.

I applied for the Law with a year abroad at Warwick, so I assume that might be why they're so long.

Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for LSE... three weeks to go :3

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.