Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I took my test a few weeks back but am worried about my score. I got average/ slightly below in AR and VR but a high score in QR, which seems to be a common theme. however I only got band 3 for SJI. my average was between 690-700. Would this be seen as a strong UKCAT test result or will my SJI let me down and put universities off.... thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also which universities should I not apply to with these type of results????

ReputationRep:
    I averaged 610 and SJT Band 3
    This means I'm neither smart nor a good person XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan Milik)
    Also which universities should I not apply to with these type of results????
    You've got a good average score but your SJT might be an issue for quite a few unis. Avoid really competitive places where SJT is quite heavily weighted like Edinburgh, and your average score may be a bit low for the most competitive UKCAT unis such as Kings or Newcastle but that doesn't mean don't apply because you may still get an interview or place there.

This is a pdf with brief descriptions of how med schools use the UKCAT, hopefully you can find useful information there:
    http://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kapte...6%20Entry).pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the website. The universities I'm really interested in applying to are Leicester, Southampton and Cardiff. Looking at the website I would meet the requirements for these, apart from southampton which doesn't release UKCAT minimums until later in the year

ReputationRep:
    Heya

I wanted to bring another wave of UKCAT scores to this discussion. Despite my enormous attempts and really hard work (I studied for 3 weeks all day long - used all of my annual leave) and despite scoring okayish on practice tests I didn't really do well on the exam and I believe that my scores are not going to be competitive for this cycle. I felt the exam was really hard, especially the VR and AR. To anyone who is looking for advice for the UKCAT, I would like to share the types of questions I got

VR - I probably got no more than 6-7 T/F/Can't tell questions, everything else was statement questions and a good portion of them had sentences two lines long for every one of the four options. The texts I remember were on history, war tanks and particle physics. I didn't manage to answer properly the last 4 questions which honestly was the first time this ever happend to me.

QR - I got 2-3 tables and everything else was Pie charts. This surprised me a lot as in all the tests I've done I've never encountered a pie chart (Kaplan, 1000Qs, Medify). So be prepared for this. Also, I didn't get any questions that required rough estimations or eyeballing, you had to calculate everything, even if it was just a one-line calculation.

AR - I was stumbled about it, AR was my best section and I always scored high on most of the practice tests I've done. Not on the real one though! I got probably around 15 complete the series questions, I don't know if that was the case for others.

SJ - This was the only easy bit, the scenarios were quite similar to the ones in the official mocks, so if you've learned them you should be okay. I got Band 1 and that is the only positive thing I can share about this exam

I don't know if it was just very bad luck to get awful questions or if I'm genuinely stupid or maybe the fact that English is my second language played its part. However, this hasn't played a part before on the VR and I normally got around 65-70% on it. Oh well, I will try the unis that don't require the UKCAT

Good luck to everyone, I hope this was helpful in terms of the type of questions you may encounter and I hope I haven't disheartened anyone. Remember, this is just my experience

ReputationRep:
    Also, I have 11 days left of Medify, if anyone wants to use it pm me

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with the VR section, I had at max 3 sets of T/F/CT, the rest were very wordy paragraphs. AR was harder than on medify, obviously every exam is different but for me. I only knew a few of the AR rules, the rest I guessed. QR I believe I got very lucky with as I found them very easy compared to medify and the books. SJ I found tough as many of the scenarios were long-winded paragraphs rather than the common short little sentences that medify used. Overall I would say medify was very useful for the QR, and the 'best conculsion' part of VR but found it irrelevant in others parts. My test would clearly be different to anyone else's so don't take my words as the same for every test. The UKCAT is different for everyone

ReputationRep:
    My advice to anyone taking the UKCAT would be to not over-do the revision. At the end of the day it is only a test. Hearing people spend 5 hours a day for a month seems a bit odd. I would suggest doing little bits here and there for 2 weeks then the final 2 weeks before your test day get some sort of resource, whatever works for you and do as much as you feel necessary. I couldn't do more than 2 hours a day without losing my concentration. The day of the exam try not to do anything, just make sure you can have your full concentration for the test
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for the website. The universities I'm really interested in applying to are Leicester, Southampton and Cardiff. Looking at the website I would meet the requirements for these, apart from southampton which doesn't release UKCAT minimums until later in the year
    Cardiff doesn't use the UKCAT until post interview, even then it only uses it for a few tiebreaker situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i have been practiving for a while and have just got back from my 2 week holiday and now my exam is in 2 weeks. I tried to do a little on holiday to keep my brain active but we were camping and so this was very tricky. I just did a Kaplan practice test and only got ave 623, so annoyed and i cant ever seem to improve The maths section had 7 complex calcukations erg

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking my UKCAT this year, and I'm thinking of completely skipping the decision analysis section since it won't actually count towards anything for me, so by skipping I can use the time for the other sections. Would it be okay to do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    i have been practiving for a while and have just got back from my 2 week holiday and now my exam is in 2 weeks. I tried to do a little on holiday to keep my brain active but we were camping and so this was very tricky. I just did a Kaplan practice test and only got ave 623, so annoyed and i
    cant ever seem to improve The maths
    section had 7 complex calcukations erg
    Get Medify 2 weeks subscription, do a bit every day and you'll see massive improvements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Cardiff doesn't use the UKCAT until post interview, even then it only uses it for a few tiebreaker situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good as it would be my first choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    you do know 890 is the highest ever score someone has ever got
    Haha I don't know about that! I'm sure there's someone that's had 900 before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjcoolio)
    Yeah 890 was just last years maximum. However people must remember that a score of 900 doesn't mean they got all the questions correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjcoolio)
    It's on the Ukcat website that last year someone got the highest average ever of 890.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's good as it would be my first choice
    I will be posting an official cardiff medicine 2017 entry thread in the next week or so. Keep a look out, we will discuss all things cardiff applications there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get Medify 2 weeks subscription, do a bit every day and you'll see massive improvements
    okay will do, i mean i have been doing bits every day tho and not getting better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge-Hopeful)
    It's on the Ukcat website that last year someone got the highest average ever of 890.
    Ah average maybe, but I only got that in QR!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.