Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk XII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Personally i don't believe that EU membership matters as much as people think. They neither hold us back nor aid in our success as much as both sides like to make out.
    Yea I agree. Quite frankly I think anybody who is adamant about their side of the argument is delusional. There are good points and there are bad points of the EU, and I'm really not looking forward to the debates and what not. You're going to have the in side claiming it's better for the economy, better for protecting borders, etc. and then you'll the out side claiming the exact same things for themselves. It will all be from a right wing perspective as well. I'd rather not hear any of them, lets have adults who aren't particularly for or against talking about the actual facts.

A lot of the Labour establishment are angry that Corbyn isn't so vehemently pro-Europe, but I actually think he'll get a lot of respect for taking a middle ground approach and saying "here are the positive factors, here are the negative factors, weighing up both sides I think we're probably better off staying in", whilst everyone else is trying to outdo each other with absurd statements that have no basis.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Preach brother.
    Which is why despite being on an effective income of the bottom decile I am only spending more than my income because I choose to, not because I have to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    Yea I agree. Quite frankly I think anybody who is adamant about their side of the argument is delusional. There are good points and there are bad points of the EU, and I'm really not looking forward to the debates and what not. You're going to have the in side claiming it's better for the economy, better for protecting borders, etc. and then you'll the out side claiming the exact same things for themselves. It will all be from a right wing perspective as well. I'd rather not hear any of them, lets have adults who aren't particularly for or against talking about the actual facts.

A lot of the Labour establishment are angry that Corbyn isn't so vehemently pro-Europe, but I actually think he'll get a lot of respect for taking a middle ground approach and saying "here are the positive factors, here are the negative factors, weighing up both sides I think we're probably better off staying in", whilst everyone else is trying to outdo each other with absurd statements that have no basis.
    It really will not be, at least not on both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Memes are so relatable
    Attachment 523631
    Classic.

Finger pointing gets us nowhere.....Steve

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Memes are so relatable
    Attachment 523631
    Classic art memes are glorious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is why despite being on an effective income of the bottom decile I am only spending more than my income because I choose to, not because I have to.
    Not exactly "choice" when you have to buy something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    tbf I doubt that you're actually in a position to know what day to day like is for the lower classes.

Saving money is near impossible for poor people, that's true. I'm lucky enough to be approaching middle class at the moment despite growing up as working class as it gets. Part of this is to do with having a very decent salary and living with my mum which means that I am in a position to save.

ReputationRep:
    It really will not be, at least not on both sides.
    the remain side may allow some centrist pro corporate voices, the leave side will completely forget that lefties like TUSC and cranbrook are opposed to the EU for very different reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    the remain side may allow some centrist pro corporate voices, the leave side will completely forget that lefties like TUSC and cranbrook are opposed to the EU for very different reasons.
    This has been my main criticsm of the Leave campaign

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Memes are so relatable
    Attachment 523631
    Guys, did anyone else realise hazzer had a left-wing girlfriend? I'm really surprised at this revelation, don't think I've ever been told before.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if 5% is a decent enough deposit to get a mortgage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    very unusual since the crash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    very unusual since the crash
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    My deposit was nearer 15% TBH. I think the smallest deposit available for me was 10%...

ReputationRep:
    How so?
    ehhh long story

basically the larger the deposit the lower the risk for the issuing mortgagee, and before the crash mortgagees had these grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 derivative vehicles called collateralised debt obligations which were supposed to spread the risk among numerous investors and could be sold according to risk tolerance, only they weren't so grrrrrrrrrrrrr8 after all because the maths had been fudged by using some assessments of value based on a continued housing market boom (especially in certain key US markets) and it ended up costing a lot of people a lot of money, so both the markets and regulators now question a little more before throwing money at securities backed on low-deposit mortgages

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    ehhh long story

basically the larger the deposit the lower the risk for the issuing mortgagee, and before the crash mortgagees had these grrrrrrrrrrrrrr8 derivative vehicles called collateralised debt obligations which were supposed to spread the risk among numerous investors and could be sold according to risk tolerance, only they weren't so grrrrrrrrrrrrr8 after all because the maths had been fudged by using some assessments of value based on a continued housing market boom (especially in certain key US markets) and it ended up costing a lot of people a lot of money, so both the markets and regulators now question a little more before throwing money at securities backed on low-deposit mortgages

hope that helps
    Well i was asking because there is a job opportunity up in stockton-on-tees, which means taking a pay cut but being able to buy a house. I can pay a deposit of up to £4k which is 5% of an £80k house (which is actually quite a lot of house). Interest rates are around 4% for first time buyers but even if we look at 4.5% over 25 years for £76k that would still leave me with more money than i have now, even woth a pay cut and mortgage (just goes to show how costly it is to live in london). But it all depends on me actually getting that mortgage. If i can get a 2 bed house for around £70k then thatll be me sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    My deposit was nearer 15% TBH. I think the smallest deposit available for me was 10%...
    At 18 how did you afford 15%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    In Barnet you would need to find at least £30k and then earn around £80k at least to afford even a one bed flat. Almost nothing under £275k.

How is that affordable to most people?

ReputationRep:
    Back from my weekend of fun. Hope no one has burnt this place down to the ground yet.

ReputationRep:
    At 18 how did you afford 15%?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I married into an über rich family.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.