Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Absolutely.

I'm the only person in my summer class of 24 that wears proper glasses. One girl wears these huge black ones but only for fashion's sake. :/ I don't know how many have contacts but it seems to be a lot more common for people here to wear contacts over glasses. Personally I hate contacts. :yucky:

I have reactions lenses which are great - I don't need to bring a separate pair of sun glasses with me. :cool:
    I can't wear contacts, I can't put anything near my eyes like that, makes them water like mad.

I want reaction lenses but they are so expensive here. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I can't wear contacts, I can't put anything near my eyes like that, makes them water like mad.

I want reaction lenses but they are so expensive here. :cry:
    I'm the same. Although I wouldn't wear them even if I could - I value my sight more than not wearing glasses - the number of infections etc you can get from incorrect contact use is just not worth it to me.

Really? I think I paid $40 or thereabouts on top of the normal lens cost here, it was very reasonable. They're also great in the winter if you live somewhere with a lot of snow as the snow reflects so much sunlight. I would definitely recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Really been struggling today mainly with BDD and panic attacks which sucks as yesterday I had a great day both in terms of fun and also with minimal symptoms from everything but today its all came back full force

Just want to chill out or sleep but my brain feels like it's going 100mph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the risk of sounding like the crisis team......could you try taking a hot bath or shower or maybe a cup of tea to try and relax you? (or whatever works best for you?)

Sorry to hear you've been struggling so much today, it's annoying when you have a great day then a *****y one, the contrast seems to make everything so much worse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. Although I wouldn't wear them even if I could - I value my sight more than not wearing glasses - the number of infections etc you can get from incorrect contact use is just not worth it to me.

Really? I think I paid $40 or thereabouts on top of the normal lens cost here, it was very reasonable. They're also great in the winter if you live somewhere with a lot of snow as the snow reflects so much sunlight. I would definitely recommend.
    Yeah, there is that too.

Pretty sure they are! I think when I ordered my last pair of glasses they were looking for around £60+ for them. But I would like to have them one day.

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding like the crisis team......could you try taking a hot bath or shower or maybe a cup of tea to try and relax you? (or whatever works best for you?)

Sorry to hear you've been struggling so much today, it's annoying when you have a great day then a *****y one, the contrast seems to make everything so much worse.
    I'm just gonna try a bath and then do some colouring in. I've been here before but like you said, its annoying to fall back to a bad day after having a good day. Being back home with my cats is helping :hugs:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    A while
    Thank you me too lol
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well i do cos im so fat and ugly and useless but thanks :/
    Well I like painting so that is quite theraputic
    :hugs:
    ----------------
    It is so hard to hide everything, wish i could be honest with ppl but that is impossible and wish everyone would stop asking me stupid questions and being suspicious :/
    ~Anon 1
    Well thats a shame!
    No worries!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But i highly doubt that!!!
    Ah excellent! Maybe start doing some painting?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Is that last bit related to me? Ill leave you alone if you want me too?

(Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Well thats a shame!
    No worries!
    Yeh i've been drawing a lot recently
    And absolutely not :hugs: you are very kind I mean people inrl, I basically live two lives and it is hard to keep my 'real self'' if you want to call it that hidden

--------
    Glasses are fab btw everyone on this thread :gah: not biased at all :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there is that too.

Pretty sure they are! I think when I ordered my last pair of glasses they were looking for around £60+ for them. But I would like to have them one day.
    Try specsavers? When I got mine they only wanted another £40 or so I think to make them reactions? I was going to get them but as I wear glasses when driving I decided to get sunglasses instead and squeeze under the children's deal of 2 for 1 instead. (Full time education = free glasses until 19)
    I only paid something like £72 for two pairs of converse glasses (one normal one sunglasses.) would have been cheaper but they wanted a extra £12 for the sunglasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Try specsavers? When I got mine they only wanted another £40 or so I think to make them reactions? I was going to get them but as I wear glasses when driving I decided to get sunglasses instead and squeeze under the children's deal of 2 for 1 instead. (Full time education = free glasses until 19)
    I only paid something like £72 for two pairs of converse glasses (one normal one sunglasses.) would have been cheaper but they wanted a extra £12 for the sunglasses.
    I have to pay for my glasses and eye test now, so it'll be expensive either way. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I have to pay for my glasses and eye test now, so it'll be expensive either way. :cry:
    If you look online before you go you can usually find vouchers to get the eye test reduced or even free. That's what my dad does. (Mum doesn't need too as she gets hers free due to her diabetes.)

I have to pay for mine soon, not sure if apprenticeships count? May be going for one.

Yeh i've been drawing a lot recently
    And absolutely not :hugs: you are very kind I mean people inrl, I basically live two lives and it is hard to keep my 'real self'' if you want to call it that hidden

--------
    Glasses are fab btw everyone on this thread :gah: not biased at all :innocent:
    Ah thats good then! Im happy to hear that!
    Aww thankyou! :hugs:
    Ahh i see! Why do you want to keep hidden? I can understand that being hard!

ReputationRep:
    Tesco or Asda (or perhaps both? I forget) do eyetests for free and don't require you to buy their glasses afterwards so maybe check them out.

(Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Ah thats good then! Im happy to hear that!
    Aww thankyou! :hugs:
    Ahh i see! Why do you want to keep hidden? I can understand that being hard!
    Aww im glad :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Because people wouldn't suspect it they wouldn't suspect any of it which is good in a way as it makes everything easier to hide but it is also annoying because if i told people i feel that they wouldnt believe me.
    I mean in terms of MH stuff, how anxious I am and stuff but no-one would suspect because I do well at school and on the surface everything is fine. Also that im not straight people wouldn't believe that either because i have pretended for so long. Just everything really which is why I like this site because I can be anonymous and be honest
    ~Anon 1

^^^ sorry just to confuse things Anon 19 and Anon 1 are the same person cos dupe account lol sorry

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at a HC1 or HC2 its help with healthcare including glasses and goes on your income not parents. I got it when i was at uni was a life saver!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    Have a look at a HC1 or HC2 its help with healthcare including glasses and goes on your income not parents. I got it when i was at uni was a life saver!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Might do that because I do get a lot from student finance as I'm poor. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    HC1 is the form you fill in. HC2 or HC3 gives you help.

ReputationRep:
    Might do that because I do get a lot from student finance as I'm poor. Thanks!
    Yeah its really useful i used it for free drs prescriptions, but i was also elligable for glasses prescriptions, dentust and even wigs!

I dunno if i need to re do one as im on universal credit now which confuses me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    HC1 is the form you fill in. HC2 or HC3 gives you help.
    Yeah ghe HC2 is for the prescriptions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww im glad :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Because people wouldn't suspect it they wouldn't suspect any of it which is good in a way as it makes everything easier to hide but it is also annoying because if i told people i feel that they wouldnt believe me.
    I mean in terms of MH stuff, how anxious I am and stuff but no-one would suspect because I do well at school and on the surface everything is fine. Also that im not straight people wouldn't believe that either because i have pretended for so long. Just everything really which is why I like this site because I can be anonymous and be honest
    ~Anon 1
    :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ahh i see!
    Maybe you can gradually begin to tell people?
    But obviously if youre ok with being anon then thats perfectly fine!
    But its good thag youre doing well at school!
    Plus it not showing on the surface helps too! Thats like me and my mh issues, its hard to tell i do have them for other people.

I saw your other message too!
    If you getma response from Anon 16, thats me!
    I sometimes forget about the auto anon thing!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.