Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Becca0615)
    Thank you very much for your reply! I hope you had a lovely holiday.
    You're welcome and yes, I did thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I attended the Cambridge Sutton Trust summer school this year, in terms of my application am I more likely to get an interview? What do admissions tutors think when they come across a candidate who has been part of such a scheme?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGall)
    Hi. Thank you for taking so much time to help. I have received my AS results which were as follows: Archaeology 80/80 and 120/120 = 100% UMS; Classics 82/100 and 98/100 = 90%; Politics 100/100 and 67/100 = 83.5%. I am also taking History A level but my sixth form only used internal mocks so I have no raw scores or UMS for this subject. I have two queries. I am hoping to study History at university and wondered if my UMS scores would be good enough for an application ( I have no idea what happened in the second politics paper to make it such a low mark). I have 9A*, 3 As and a B in GCSEs from a standard state school. Also, I am going to drop either archaeology or politics but wondered what advice you would have about which one to drop. My historical interests are rooted in ancient history in particular, hence my strong interest in archaeology.
    Hello and thank you for questions. Your performance at GCSE and AS Level would certainly make you a decent candidate. There will, naturally, be people with stronger results but you would certainly not be uncompetitive at this stage.

if you know that your interests are primarily in Ancient History, then I would continue archaeology and drop politics but either is fine and it won't damage your application either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makhib19)
    Hello! Welcome back, hope you had a nice holiday

I'm the person from Scotland who will be starting Medicine at Glasgow in 2 weeks but wish to apply to Cambridge for entry to 2017. I was just emailing some colleges and some of them said that I would need to have a reference from my admissions tutor and have extruniating cicumstances?

I was wondering if for my reference, my pastoral care teacher from school last year would be able to do the reference instead? She has known me for many years and knows me much better (she wrote the reference for UCAS last year too).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you so much for this form.
    Many thanks, I did yes!

I wasn't sure from your previous questions whether you were going to start at Glasgow or whether you were planning on pulling out and starting again. If it's the former then that does make things a bit more tricky as we tend to be reluctant to take people from other UK universities. Asking colleges about their attitudes in these unusual circumstances is a good plan.

The reference wouldn't need to be from Glasgow but they would need to write a letter saying that they are happy for you to apply. The UCAS reference could be written by your teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blankboi)
    So if I was given an offer, would it be that a college could stipulate that only Maths/Computer Science/Physics could be used towards it?As for example: If I were to get A*A*AA, with the A* in Mathematics, A* in Art, A in Computer Science and an A in Physics, would this mean I would not meet the offer?

---

I also found that the interview will also take place after the CSAT test. Will there only be a single interview or multiple interviews for Computer Science all within a single day?

---

Also, does the CSAT test just require knowledge of C1 and C2? (not including other modules such as M1, S1 etc)

Thanks,
    A college can and, in the case of your combination of A Levels, almost certainly would specifically exclude Art from the offer. In the scenario you lay out you would miss the offer.

It is normal for there to be two interviews and they would normally be held on the same day.

I don''t know what the specification is for the CSAT I'm afraid: the website says:

"The knowledge required by the CSAT is taken from syllabus typically covered by students who are in their final school year when they are interviewed at Cambridge."

You can find more material on the above website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Hello and thank you for your questions.

I am sorry to hear about your issues with depression and glad to hear that you are improving. Your school or doctor can submit and ECF (extenuating circumstances form) and it is good for them to go into detail about the nature of the problem and the current prognosis. It is helpful for us to know about issues so that we can contextualise a candidate's performance and, importantly, prepare support for them before they arrive in Cambridge if they receive an offer. it will not negatively affect your application.

If you get 3 or 4 A*s at A Level and do well in BMAT then you would certainly be a strong candidate and potentially get an offer.

Don't do an extra GCSE in a language (or indeed any subject) - it's a waste of time at this stage. Focus on your A Levels, look forward not backwards.

We do not distinguish between domestic exam boards and it will make no difference to your competitiveness.

I hope that this helps and best of luck.
    Your response has been invaluable. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I was stressing out about my situation. I hope you had a lovely break.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

For physical nat sci, how much will only the maths UMS be used in the admissions process where other UMS is not available?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Not necessarily.
    Many colleges do 2 academic interviews for many courses.
    In fact, I've heard of more 2 x academic interview than 1 general + 1 academic.
    (Original post by alow)
    Not necessarily. My college just gives 2 academic interviews for a lot of subjects.
    I was just relaying the info I'd got from open days/Oxbridge school days soz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    I was just relaying the info I'd got from open days/Oxbridge school days soz
    Now you know how things really are from all the replies you've got, including the detailed explanation from CAT, so all is well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomalouse)
    You must have answered some variant of this question so many times already, so thank you very, very much for taking the time out of your day to help us.I'm a post A-level candidate and I exceeded the standard offer for the subject I want to apply for (History) -I got A*A*AA. Though my UMS in English literature and History is fairly high, otherwise it's a bit all over the place and I'm worried this will harm my application from the start. I'm assuming for post-A2 applicants you'll look at their UMS in similar ways as in past years?
    -History: AS 100%, A2 92%, overall 384/400 and A*
    -English: AS 96%, A2 96% with 120/120 in my final exam. Overall 380/400 and A*
    -Economics: AS 83%, overall 322/400 and A. I will be getting one A2 module remarked as it was very low and I think I did do better than that.
    -German: AS B 73%, I resat the module I got a b in and got 92% (I know Cambridge does not recognise resits). Overall 322/400 and A. My question is, would my uneven UMS hamper my chances? I realise I have over the standard Arts offer but I'm worried my UMS may harm my chances of even getting an interview. My GCSES were 7A* 2As 2Bs. Would you say I would need to have a stellar performance in the pre interview test and then interview to have a chance at an offer? Thanks! Sorry for the massive post.
    Hello and don't worry about the question - it's the first time you've asked it!

You will almost certainly get an interview with your strong results. Your UMS is a bit up and down but not unusually so and you would certainly have the kind of results where an offer is by no means uncommon. Obviously a good performance in the assessment and interviews will help but they are not sine qua non.

Best of luck and let me know if I can answer more questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibprocrastinator)
    Hello!
    I will be applying to Cambridge this year, and I was wondering if I would be able to graduate with a joint degree in Law and Economics.
    Thank you for doing this!
    It is possible to switch from one tripos (course) into another at various points (usually at the end of the first or second year) and it may involve an extra year. You cannot study Law and Economics concurrently, however.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to switch from one tripos (course) into another at various points (usually at the end of the first or second year) and it may involve an extra year. You cannot study Law and Economics concurrently, however.
    Thank you for your response.
    Furthermore, I am a gap year student, that is, I am applying to Cambridge during my gap year. Will I be at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eden00)
    So it won't be a factor that stops a successful application? That is very relieving to hear!

Yeah, it is a very interesting language to me, so I might try it!

Also, would maths/further maths UMS be important in an application? So say for example I got 4A's with very high UMS in maths/Further maths (my only two modular subjects) would that be good for a history application? Or not have an effect
    Your GCSEs on their own won't stop you being successful, they might in combination with other weaknesses.

Maths and FM is not uncommon for History applicants (FM perhaps more so). Doing well will be a good thing but not more so than in any other traditional subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    Hi,

I attended the Cambridge Sutton Trust summer school this year, in terms of my application am I more likely to get an interview? What do admissions tutors think when they come across a candidate who has been part of such a scheme?

Thanks
    Hello. The Sutton Trust Summer School is a good thing to do and a sign of super-curicular engagement. On its own it's not going to get you an interview but it's certainly a good thing to have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibprocrastinator)
    Thank you for your response.
    Furthermore, I am a gap year student, that is, I am applying to Cambridge during my gap year. Will I be at a disadvantage?
    No. We are perfectly happy to accept gap year students.

ReputationRep:
    No. We are perfectly happy to accept gap year students.
    Thank you for your time! Talking to you has alleviated my stress to a certain degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arya150)
    Your response has been invaluable. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I was stressing out about my situation. I hope you had a lovely break.
    You are welcome, glad to have been of help. Go easy on the external stress if you can and just concentrate on doing as well as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I recently finished my a levels but am a few marks off the grade requirements for oxbridge. I was thinking of retaking a few papers to push my grades up. What is the likelihood of getting an interview if you took an extra year to complete your a levels? Would it be more difficult if I applied to a more competitive course?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1998)
    Hi

For physical nat sci, how much will only the maths UMS be used in the admissions process where other UMS is not available?

Thanks
    It will depend on the candidate and, indeed, the people assessing it. I imagine that, as this is the first time we've done, it people will have differing views about how important Maths UMS alone will be. My own view is that it will be useful but nowhere near as useful as the previous SUMS average based on the three best science results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathywath)
    Hi there
    I recently finished my a levels but am a few marks off the grade requirements for oxbridge. I was thinking of retaking a few papers to push my gradesarcasm up. What is the likelihood of getting an interview if you took an extra year to complete your a levels? Would it be more difficult if I applied to a more competitive course?
    Thanks
    Hello and thanks for your questions. If you have failed to achieve the standard offer then it's very unlikely that you would be accepted or even get an interview applying unless there were strong extenuating circumstances. I'm sorry not to be more encouraging. Oxford's requirements are lower than ours, of course, so you may have met some of theirs. Best of luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.