The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    In sporting news- should Glenn Hoddle return as England mansger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Again, you assume the priorities are in the order you want them to be rather than the implied order.

Comfortably sat in the corner of Conservatism near Neo-Con, Neo-Lib and National Conservatism. Perhaps some of the newer isidewith features would be more useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That chart is mostly fluff. Just crammed full of hollow sound bites like 'innovation, prosperity, efficiency'. It's like going to a patronising training day at work where they go on about how important it is to be 'dynamic'. Why people are taken in by such hollow soundbites, especially educated people like yourself is a mystery.

Also trump wants a hugely powerful and centralised state. Hardly the 'small state' free marketeer you hold him up to be. *

ReputationRep:
    Good to see Hilary nail him on the point about taxes. He goes on about how patriotic he is yet he contributes nothing to schools, to health, to the armed forces, to veterans etc. There are few things less patriotic.

In fact be celebrates his lack of a contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm pro immigration, I'd actually be willing to accept a compromise of London having free movement of people but not the rest of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Although I'm pro immigration, I'd actually be willing to accept a compromise of London having free movement of people but not the rest of the country.
    How on earth do you do that without making a boarder round London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    London does not need free movement any more than the rest of the country so i disagree with such an idea, not to mention the fact that we've allowed it to become so full of immigrants is reprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    London does not need free movement any more than the rest of the country so i disagree with such an idea, not to mention the fact that we've allowed it to become so full of immigrants is reprehensible.
    While I love London for its cosmopolitan and metropolitan nature I have to say that London being the only place in the UK to have free movement is one of the most absurd ideas I've ever heard. There's already a housing crisis here, at least the immigration is spread out a bit more when the whole country has free movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This one is best..

http://politicaltest.net/en/test/result/118300

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to thank Diane Abbott for calling me racist for voting Brexit, but I'll take no lessons on that topic from her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    In sporting news- should Glenn Hoddle return as England mansger?
    If he has to give up his work on BT Sport, then yes.

(As a Wales fan I need declare no (positive) interest in this matter.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    While I love London for its cosmopolitan and metropolitan nature I have to say that London being the only place in the UK to have free movement is one of the most absurd ideas I've ever heard. There's already a housing crisis here, at least the immigration is spread out a bit more when the whole country has free movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Based on the idea that London supports free movement, much of the rest of the country doesn't.

Not a serious suggestion, just a thought experiment.*

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez

Can you please clarify the rules on sharing accounts? The MHoC guidelines say "The MHoC is strictly a 'one-person, one-account' community." but DMcGovern, who has admitted to sharing his account with his younger brother, says he hasn't broken any rules because the rule on account sharing only applies to dupes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    That chart is mostly fluff. Just crammed full of hollow sound bites like 'innovation, prosperity, efficiency'. It's like going to a patronising training day at work where they go on about how important it is to be 'dynamic'. Why people are taken in by such hollow soundbites, especially educated people like yourself is a mystery.

Also trump wants a hugely powerful and centralised state. Hardly the 'small state' free marketeer you hold him up to be. *
    You seem insistent that I should be supporting Clinton because Trump wants to do some stuff I disagree with, when Clinton wants to do even more that I don't want.

It's also worth noting that since primary season the percentage given for all candidates has dropped but the basis of the results need to be seriously flawed to be able to say that I should be supporting Clinton after a fairly comprehensive policy comparison strongly says no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sad to see Shimon Peres pass away. A decent man, who along with Rabin came closest to securing a meaningful peace deal with the PLO before Rabin was shot dead by a far right extremist.

Unfortunately Israel turned to Netanyahu and the hard right in the early 2000s.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You seem insistent that I should be supporting Clinton because Trump wants to do some stuff I disagree with, when Clinton wants to do even more that I don't want.

It's also worth noting that since primary season the percentage given for all candidates has dropped but the basis of the results need to be seriously flawed to be able to say that I should be supporting Clinton after a fairly comprehensive policy comparison strongly says no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not saying you should support Clinton (although I believe she is closer to your ideology than Trump) but I'm surprised that you are supporting trump.

Especially given that Trump, like George W wants a massively centralised and powerful state.*
    If anything, one would think you would be supporting Gary johnson:*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Wanted to thank Diane Abbott for calling me racist for voting Brexit, but I'll take no lessons on that topic from her.
    Diane Abbott is one of the most racist Labour MPs that there are and no sane Labour leader would let her anywhere near the front bench - mind you, no sane party would select her as a candidate for her constituency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Saracen's Fez

Can you please clarify the rules on sharing accounts? The MHoC guidelines say "The MHoC is strictly a 'one-person, one-account' community." but DMcGovern, who has admitted to sharing his account with his younger brother, says he hasn't broken any rules because the rule on account sharing only applies to dupes.
    For the benefit of the House, this is the reply I have given DMcGovern as he has queried the acceptability of this:

If only one was participating in the MHoC then that would be fine – in much the same way as we often ignore people's dupes if those have never set foot in the MHoC. If two people are using one account within the MHoC then that is misleading and unacceptable, though obviously it is impossible for me to conclusively prove anything, and I imagine it is hard if not impossible for the CT to prove anything either.

I would in any case suggest that, given the disposability of TSR accounts, each person uses a separate account on TSR in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Saracen's Fez

Could I query what concern matters like this are of yours, given that you're not an MHoCer?

ReputationRep:
    The more reading I do the more convinced I am Britain should not join the single market after Brexit. The single market is overrated, the freedom of movement is not needed, any deal where Britain pays money to the EU is a bad deal, and EU regulation is not good regulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Could I query what concern matters like this are of yours, given that you're not an MHoCer?
    :facepalm2: Yes, I am.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.