The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J0333)
    PreachπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ ‘πŸΌ love this! Be proud of yourself, because if only effort was shown instead of natural ability, the world would have such a different outlookπŸ˜ƒ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I have a way with words 😝😊 And precisely what you said πŸ‘πŸ‘ Would you like to continue this conversation in PM?; I feel as though we're dominating the thread πŸ˜¬πŸ˜‚

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    A-levels are a fresh start. Use that to your advantage :-)
    I suppose. What upsets me is I did at least as much work as my sister....I'm just not as intelligent clearly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried I'm not getting enough work from sixth form... Everyone around me is complaining that they're buried in work yet I seem to have a lot less. I don't know if I actually do have less or if I'm just managing my time better to keep on top of it.

Also, does anyone else find that A-Levels aren't the "big leap" they were said to be at the moment? I mean there are parts that are more challenging but it's all logical so idk but now I'm rambling πŸ˜‚

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HouseOfRichman)
    I'm worried I'm not getting enough work from sixth form... Everyone around me is complaining that they're buried in work yet I seem to have a lot less. I don't know if I actually do have less or if I'm just managing my time better to keep on top of it.

Also, does anyone else find that A-Levels aren't the "big leap" they were said to be at the moment? I mean there are parts that are more challenging but it's all logical so idk but now I'm rambling πŸ˜‚
    Tbh I only feel the leap in Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    I think I'll be finished with AS Biology content before October hits. How's everyone finding year 12 so far?
    How have you already nearly finished?! :eek:

Year 12 is great so far. I don't feel too much of a leap but the intensity of Biology (ie. the workload) can be challenging imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've only felt a jump in terms of workload, during gcse i did hardly any work (even leading up to exams) but now i find myself going over stuff every day
    the actual content is easy enough to understand tho tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing 4 A-levels and that's true. From what I was told, the gap between GCSE and A-levels is huge, but we're just going over GCSE stuff over again.

They did tell me that it's about to get a lot worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the workload is adequate. A-levels has a leap, but I can't quantify it for you, since is different for everyone. The thing is, once you put the work in, everything starts to click. When I first peered into the content of the AS Biology textbook, I was overwhelmed, but now is manageable.

(Original post by extraordinaire)
    How have you already nearly finished?! :eek:

Year 12 is great so far. I don't feel too much of a leap but the intensity of Biology (ie. the workload) can be challenging imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took initiative a few weeks before term started, to read my cousin's AS Biology textbook. She goes to same sixth form as me, but she's in year 13 now. I made notes from the textbook and did the questions in them as well. Biology uses a lot of jargon to replace 'regular' words. It's almost like reading a new language. lol

ReputationRep:
    Quick Question, anyone being homeschooled or a distant learner?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Soph,
    just done first year of A levels in Sociology, Psychology and Fine art but didn't get enough support so now a distant learner in Philosophy, Psychology and History, not too shabby...
    I'm into reading and tv shows and music... kinda lame I guess...
    Looking for people I can talk to see no as though I'm home all day everyday basically..

ReputationRep:
    People are complaining they're not getting enough work for A levels, or the 'leap' isn't that big? You'll find out soon then...

From what I have experienced, and have been told by Year 13s at the same school. It may be a bit different elsewhere though.

It is only September, so your teachers should be easing you in to A levels, meaning that they will not, or should not, overload you with tons of work. I think that they will progressively increase the workload, the speed they teach at, the work we need to do at home, etc over the course of this year. From next year, it will be full on, every lesson, with very little time for 'easing in' from AS to A2. Our teachers also told us that the first unit of all subjects that teachers teach is very easy compared to the rest of the course, of course. The easiest one to see that this is true is in Maths, where C1 is much much easier than all the other modules. In Further Maths, we've actually finished this module in a week and a half!

But, if you are finding that you are not getting enough work, or in other words, as much work as expected, I also agree, because I still have tons of free time, with a very manageable amount of homework from all of my subjects. We should definitely cherish this part of the year, where we aren't stressing over work I think a good use of our time would be to simply read ahead in all your subjects, or plan what you want to do at university, and things you want to do/ need to do in order to bolster your personal statement.
    I am also finding all the A level work so far simple to understand. But, there are some people in my class, and we do have a big range of abilities and GCSE results in our class, that do struggle already with Chemistry calculations, which is a bit worrying for them, since they are struggling with the simplest part of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XLittleSparrowX)
    Hello! It's nice to see another Evie on here apart from myself. :ahee: Having a nice time with A-Levels so far?
    Hi evie!!! yeah, apart from geography whch is rather a jump up from GCSE!!!! you? what subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eviebrizzle)
    Hi evie!!! yeah, apart from geography whch is rather a jump up from GCSE!!!! you? what subjects are you taking?
    Pretty good, having fun! Drama and Theatre Studies, Media Studies and Fine Art. Really good so far, even though we have to remember a lot for Drama and media

ReputationRep:
    Anyone studying Philosophy on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msuic)
    Hi, I'm Soph,
    just done first year of A levels in Sociology, Psychology and Fine art but didn't get enough support so now a distant learner in Philosophy, Psychology and History, not too shabby...
    I'm into reading and tv shows and music... kinda lame I guess...
    Looking for people I can talk to see no as though I'm home all day everyday basically..
    Hi there! I'm doing Psychology too! :-) What's your spec? Mine is AQA, and we've already done Approaches, now we're in the middle of Research Methods πŸ˜ƒ How do you find Psychology so far? I find it really fun, but the course in my school is so fast-paced. Psychology seems a lot "faster" than my other subjects, especially when compared to the everlasting modules of English Literature..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, does anyone have any tips on how I should revise economics AS, my exam board of eduqas WJEC, I'm finding economics a bit hard to follow so I want to do extra revision to help boost my knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaho2000)
    Hello, does anyone have any tips on how I should revise economics AS, my exam board of eduqas WJEC, I'm finding economics a bit hard to follow so I want to do extra revision to help boost my knowledge
    I do AQA but it's just practise that helps

ReputationRep:
    My names Will I'm 16 I suffer from ADD and Depression. So I really struggle in School environments and I work/ learn best on my own. Currently I am self-teaching A-level Maths and Chemistry, alongside Level 3 Mathematical Studies. I will probably take another AS next year.

The only problem I have is, the practical assessments in Chemistry, I am not sure how I would be able to do them. Wouldn't I need to be taught how to do the practical before the assessment and where would I be able to have lessons? Presumably at some examination centre?

I am already entered for my Exams, just not the practical for AS Chemistry.

I am hoping to achieve C or B in Chemistry, C in Maths and A/B in Mathematical studies. Should be possible If i have a solid year of revision.

I would like to do Chemistry at university. Preferably an rs c accredited uni but I would be happy to get into any Chemistry course given my circumstances!

Also, do you have any other course reccomendations? I'll need to make up the equivalent of 3 A-levels and around 240 ucas points

ReputationRep:
    Aww bless you!im doing chemistry so if u need help I am here xx
    (Original post by WillAuckland2000)
    My names Will I'm 16 I suffer from ADD and Depression. So I really struggle in School environments and I work/ learn best on my own. Currently I am self-teaching A-level Maths and Chemistry, alongside Level 3 Mathematical Studies. I will probably take another AS next year.

The only problem I have is, the practical assessments in Chemistry, I am not sure how I would be able to do them. Wouldn't I need to be taught how to do the practical before the assessment and where would I be able to have lessons? Presumably at some examination centre?

I am already entered for my Exams, just not the practical for AS Chemistry.

I am hoping to achieve C or B in Chemistry, C in Maths and A/B in Mathematical studies. Should be possible If i have a solid year of revision.

I would like to do Chemistry at university. Preferably an rs c accredited uni but I would be happy to get into any Chemistry course given my circumstances!

Also, do you have any other course reccomendations? I'll need to make up the equivalent of 3 A-levels and around 240 ucas points

ReputationRep:
    Heyyyy I'm doing psychology aka too and I'm on same route!!!!i got an e in my first test πŸ˜“But I'm living it tho!
    (Original post by SabakuKyuu)
    Hi there! I'm doing Psychology too! :-) What's your spec? Mine is AQA, and we've already done Approaches, now we're in the middle of Research Methods πŸ˜ƒ How do you find Psychology so far? I find it really fun, but the course in my school is so fast-paced. Psychology seems a lot "faster" than my other subjects, especially when compared to the everlasting modules of English Literature..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.