UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by N.O.R.E.)
I'm sooooooooooo scared about saturday man, I hope everyone does really well (including me )

I consider myself pretty good at maths, achieving almost the highest maths score out of the maths takers in my school in AS (excluding some further mathematicians) and I find the QR section on the UKCAT site IMPOSSIBLE to do, literally 50% of the questions done getting about 48% right.

PLEASE tell me that the QR on the real test is NOT as hard. I need some comforting now lol, I'm getting really cheesed off, I haven't had a summer holiday this year!

Yeah you do, along with a whiteboard and pen
Is it like a hand held tacky one?? Or a scientific?

My test is tomorrow and I've only just started prepping lol :p:
anminko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
Is it like a hand held tacky one?? Or a scientific?

My test is tomorrow and I've only just started prepping lol :p:

those puny ones (Y)
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anminko)
those puny ones (Y)
Ahhh, explain what you mean please?? I really need to know... I have my exam tomorrow, no kidding :p:

So far I've just looked at VR.
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahhh, explain what you mean please?? I really need to know... I have my exam tomorrow, no kidding :p:

Just those standard calculators with the numbers (:P), addition, multiplication, subtraction, division and equals-sign buttons (and the Clear button (Y)).
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

A hand-held bog-standard non-scientific one.
And I'd have a look at the sections before your test if I were you, just to get used to what is being asked of you.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just those standard calculators with the numbers (:P), addition, multiplication, subtraction, division and equals-sign buttons (and the Clear button (Y)).
They suck im slowly getting used to using them though (Im sooo slow at the moment though)
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ohhh ok, at least you get a calculator though, and it's hand held. I'd really panic if it was a computer one.

I was trying to work everything out on paper/in my head on QR and as expected ran out of time after reaching question 16/40!

Good to know I can use a calculator though! Thanks for all the help!

I'm off to do a few more practice Qs before my test tomorrow!

(though the test doesn't really matter as much for me as I'm applying 3 BMAT unis :p:)

Good luck all
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by N.O.R.E.)
I'm sooooooooooo scared about saturday man, I hope everyone does really well (including me )

I consider myself pretty good at maths, achieving almost the highest maths score out of the maths takers in my school in AS (excluding some further mathematicians) and I find the QR section on the UKCAT site IMPOSSIBLE to do, literally 50% of the questions done getting about 48% right.

PLEASE tell me that the QR on the real test is NOT as hard. I need some comforting now lol, I'm getting really cheesed off, I haven't had a summer holiday this year!

Yeah you do, along with a whiteboard and pen
Try not to worry to much, the QR section is quite tame in the real thing compared to the horrid stuff they have in the practice tests
Good luck!
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
A hand-held bog-standard non-scientific one.
And I'd have a look at the sections before your test if I were you, just to get used to what is being asked of you.
I'm doing that now :p:

Today should be enough though, seeing as it's just an aptitude test

I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ohhh ok, at least you get a calculator though, and it's hand held. I'd really panic if it was a computer one.

I was trying to work everything out on paper/in my head on QR and as expected ran out of time after reaching question 16/40!

Good to know I can use a calculator though! Thanks for all the help!

I'm off to do a few more practice Qs before my test tomorrow!

(though the test doesn't really matter as much for me as I'm applying 3 BMAT unis :p:)

Good luck all
Good luck!! Yeah, BMAT is more important for me too. Plus I didn't do so well on my UKCAT. :P
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck!! Yeah, BMAT is more important for me too. Plus I didn't do so well on my UKCAT. :P
Hehe, if I mess up UKCAT I'll just apply B'ham or Bristol

No pressure whatsoever

Anywho, i'm off now
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i was so used to doing the short ukcat test...44 questions on the VR in 20 minutes - how many out of the 44 do people usually complete? reading the first passage takes me 2 minutes itself
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
i was so used to doing the short ukcat test...44 questions on the VR in 20 minutes - how many out of the 44 do people usually complete? reading the first passage takes me 2 minutes itself
I get to 38-40, and then guess the rest.
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get to 38-40, and then guess the rest.
thats pretty good...first attempt i got to 28 and got 23 right...i'm getting worried now (test on 30th). VR has gone from being my best section to my worst.
Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am a bit upset about my UKCAT.
I got 620, 630, 540, 500 - average 572.5

There was a processing error in my test, which occurred in the Abstract Reasoning section. Apparently, this happened to one other student at the Uxbridge test centre earlier that day. The screen was cut off in the way I couldn't see half of the question boxes on around 15-20 questions out of the 65. Therefore, I didn't know what shapes were in the other corners/side if any! I think this thew me off track and made my do bad in Decision too..

Rather than retaking, they agreed to file an incident report on my profile, which states that X number of questions couldn't be answered because the answers were not viewable.

I hope the universities I apply to (in sig) take this into account as it was really unfair
anminko
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielisew)
I am a bit upset about my UKCAT.
I got 620, 630, 540, 500 - average 572.5

There was a processing error in my test, which occurred in the Abstract Reasoning section. Apparently, this happened to one other student at the Uxbridge test centre earlier that day. The screen was cut off in the way I couldn't see half of the question boxes on around 15-20 questions out of the 65. Therefore, I didn't know what shapes were in the other corners/side if any! I think this thew me off track and made my do bad in Decision too..

Rather than retaking, they agreed to file an incident report on my profile, which states that X number of questions couldn't be answered because the answers were not viewable.

I hope the universities I apply to (in sig) take this into account as it was really unfair
Ohmygoodness I'm so sorry. On the positive side, if they tell the unis how many questions you couldn't do, maybe they'll assume you would've gotten them all right? :P: Then again, I have no idea how the system works really..
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Got it over and done with. I'm so relieved Now I need to decide where to apply :p:

VR: 760
QR: 720
AR: 700
DA: 680
Average: 715

I thought it went really bad as well. I really want to know how it's marked, cos that is crazy. I guessed the last 23 quuestions on QR and several in the first 17 as well. Oh well. They can't take it away from me now hahah.
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Got it over and done with. I'm so relieved Now I need to decide where to apply :p:

VR: 760
AR: 700
DA: 680
Average: 715

I thought it went really bad as well. I really want to know how it's marked, cos that is crazy. I guessed the last 23 quuestions on QR and several in the first 17 as well. Oh well. They can't take it away from me now hahah.
nice score. in the VR, how many questions did you get up to before you started guessing?
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guessed 1,2,7,8 and 13. Then from 18 onwards. I must have the best guessing skills ever
BananaWaffles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got mine over and done with yesterday too.

All that worrying and apprehension beforehand was really unnecessary in the end. I think the official practice test from the UKCAT site is harsh.

VR: 590
AR: 640
DA: 650
Avg: 650

I'm surprised I managed to get through all the questions except for the last few in VR.

Also with DA, I had like 15mins left at the end to check some answers

Good luck to the people who still need to take the test!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.82%
No - but I will (87)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.73%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (539)
47.74%

Watched Threads