Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)

The FIFA website is bizarre. The timings are all 'local time' which is useless as there are different time zones. Typical FIFA. Thought it was in et.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just typed in "World Cup UK coverage" on google and the first website has a list of every match in UK time and which channel is covering it

Hope that helps anybody frustrated by those stupid local times

ReputationRep:
    I just read the BBC ratings and apparently Welbeck was man of the match. Maybe I was watching a different game from everyone else because as far as i could see, the only time he did anything remotely good was when he dummied it. This just goes to show that Welbeck is at his best when he uses neither his feet nor his head. His best moment was by leaving it for someone better to have a go. You have to respect him for that, he knows his limitations (his limitations being football.)Also for all the Hodgson bashers I would just like to point out that Hodgson has only ever lost 1 competitive match as England manager which was on penalties to the eventual runners up in Euro 2012. He has never lost a competitive match in 120 mins (or less.) Whilst he hasn't played many games, that isn't bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    I just read the BBC ratings and apparently Welbeck was man of the match. Maybe I was watching a different game from everyone else because as far as i could see, the only time he did anything remotely good was when he dummied it. This just goes to show that Welbeck is at his best when he uses neither his feet nor his head. His best moment was by leaving it for someone better to have a go. You have to respect him for that, he knows his limitations (his limitations being football.)Also for all the Hodgson bashers I would just like to point out that Hodgson has only ever lost 1 competitive match as England manager which was on penalties to the eventual runners up in Euro 2012. He has never lost a competitive match in 120 mins (or less.) Whilst he hasn't played many games, that isn't bad.
    would say that welbeck had a better game than sturridge last night.

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck was responsible for 2 out of our 3 shots on target. The early long shot, and his little stab chance. The dummy, and the the little touch that got Lallana in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    would say that welbeck had a better game than sturridge last night.
    Last night Sturridge was poor by his standards but he actually made things happen and he did get kicked around a lot. Welbeck just doesn't do anything. I think he is very similar to Tom Cleverly in that all he does is get the ball, if he manages to control it he plays it 10 yards either across to the "number 10" or backwards to Baines or Gerrard. He keeps possession but he doesn't do anything at all. The only chance he actually created was when he missed the ball (I know it was deliberate but you see my point.) Welbeck is rubbish with the ball at his feet.He does the little things really badly. Net time you watch him play just watch his passing closely. He is always passing it a yard behind where the person wants it. When someone s running, they have to stop to receive a pass from him because he is incapable of doing a pass that is not directly to feet. Never have I watched Welbeck and thought "he is about to do something" whereas players like Sturridge, Barkley, Ox, Sterling always seem like they are about to do something and usually do. Welbeck is consistent but just not good enough to play for England. Sturridge was poor but he was in the right place twice (admittedly missed them both) and that is the worst he has played for a long time, Welbeck is always poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    Last night Sturridge was poor by his standards but he actually made things happen and he did get kicked around a lot. Welbeck just doesn't do anything. I think he is very similar to Tom Cleverly in that all he does is get the ball, if he manages to control it he plays it 10 yards either across to the "number 10" or backwards to Baines or Gerrard. He keeps possession but he doesn't do anything at all. The only chance he actually created was when he missed the ball (I know it was deliberate but you see my point.) Welbeck is rubbish with the ball at his feet.He does the little things really badly. Net time you watch him play just watch his passing closely. He is always passing it a yard behind where the person wants it. When someone s running, they have to stop to receive a pass from him because he is incapable of doing a pass that is not directly to feet. Never have I watched Welbeck and thought "he is about to do something" whereas players like Sturridge, Barkley, Ox, Sterling always seem like they are about to do something and usually do. Welbeck is consistent but just not good enough to play for England. Sturridge was poor but he was in the right place twice (admittedly missed them both) and that is the worst he has played for a long time, Welbeck is always poor.
    He isn't similar to cleverley at all, that much is shown by his scoring record for england and utd this season despite being played out of position. I'm not sure if you watched that game but the whole team couldn't find each other well. The whole back 4 making awkward back passes to Hart, Gerrard and Hendo were pretty poor in that respect too. Welbeck was more involved in the chances last night than Sturridge was, and Welbeck was in the right place twice too? Of course Welbeck is good enough for England or he wouldn't get picked as much as he has and produced to those levels. I can't remember the last really poor game he has had for England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    He isn't similar to cleverley at all, that much is shown by his scoring record for england and utd this season despite being played out of position. I'm not sure if you watched that game but the whole team couldn't find each other well. The whole back 4 making awkward back passes to Hart, Gerrard and Hendo were pretty poor in that respect too. Welbeck was more involved in the chances last night than Sturridge was, and Welbeck was in the right place twice too? Of course Welbeck is good enough for England or he wouldn't get picked as much as he has and produced to those levels. I can't remember the last really poor game he has had for England.
    I did watch the game and I thought every single player was poor (Hart, Jagielka and Cahill did what they could.) Welbeck very rarely has a bad game but I can't remember ever seeing a game and thinking that he was the best player on the pitch, or that he was going to score soon or that he just did something that any of the other attacking players couldn't have done. At a world cup you can't afford to carry too many players and Welbeck will very rarely actually do anything whilst Rooney will have as much impact as Welbeck on a bad game but he is capable on special moments and he could pull off something unbelievable. Welbeck is a hard worker who does everything he can but he just isn't talented enough to get in the team ahead of Sturridge, Rooney, Ox, Lallana, Sterling or Barkley. Also if they weren't injured I think Walcott and Rodriguez are better players as well. He isn't a bad player but he just isn't good enough in any technical sense.

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck was alright last night, nothing special but then neither was anybody else. I think people just hate for the sake of hating and follow the bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather play Sterling or Chamberlain but that doesn't make Welbeck a bad player. Would rather have him in the team than Rooney.

who's making the next thread then? Perfect timing really

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck's attacking threat is certainly underrated - just because we can rely on him more defensively doesn't mean we are sacrificing a lot going forward.

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck's got this knack of making the players around him play better. His use of space is really impressive, he's always moving so he's always threatening to drag defenders out of position. Think of him as Thomas Muller-lite (:ninja:), it's that style of play.

Obviously his defensive work is great, but when I talk about his defensive work I don't just mean that he'll track his man and help out Baines, which he will do, but he offers more. His pressing high up the pitch is really good, there are a lot of attacks that seem to break down but we'll get the ball back immediately because Welbeck nicks it or forces a throw in.

These factors are constant so he's really consistent. Technical/skilful attributes are more likely to drop up and down in performance, whereas the physical/intelligent strengths are more likely to remain constant, particularly in young guys. It's how Muller became a first team regular for club and country at such a young age. Welbeck will be offering something through every minute in a game, as opposed to Sterling/Barkley who might drift in and out.

Would I start him? If Chamberlain's fit probably not. But I think he's an underrated and slightly misunderstood player, overly criticised because people love to criticise a Man Utd player.

ReputationRep:
    Just to be clear I am not saying Welbeck is a bad player and I don't think I have done at any point as I don't think he is bad. I think he is just not quite good enough as he doesn't have enough talent. I think he is a good choice to have in the squad and I bet he is good in training but I just don't think he has the quality to start for England or United. I think there is always a big risk playing someone for their country when they don't regularly play for their club but that is not why I wouldn't start him, it is simply that I can't see him doing anything other than running around, trying hard and playing a simple pass.
    Ox, Sterling, Barkley, Lallana, Rooney are all technically better and just more talented footballers and I think Walcott and Rodriguez are also ahead of him when fit.
    Overall I would say that Welbeck is decent and he should definitely be in the squad, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the pitch unless it was last 10 mins and we were winning (even then I would pick Wilshere, Lampard, Milner ahead of him.)

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck is misunderstood.

Like said already, he's a very smart player. If he improved his finishing he'd be a great player to have in the squad, he's an English Thomas Muller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Like said already, he's a very smart player. If he improved his finishing he'd be a great player to have in the squad, he's an English Thomas Muller.
    I think I pointed it out to you a big part of that is he's just not selfish enough, more than actual finishing. I pointed out to someone else, before these friendliest he's got something a 50% shots to goals ratio. He's not that accurate, he clearly just having a go often enough. I think that ties in with confidence, almost every season the highest scorer correlates pretty well with the highest shot taker in the league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    Welbeck was alright last night, nothing special but then neither was anybody else. I think people just hate for the sake of hating and follow the bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather play Sterling or Chamberlain but that doesn't make Welbeck a bad player. Would rather have him in the team than Rooney.

who's making the next thread then? Perfect timing really

Been made already http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2706509

Not sure why the link wasn't posted before

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.