The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just finished the CS verbal test. The thing with verbal tests is you can't be sure if you got it right/wrong like in numerical tests. Wish they would just tell us our result at the end so we know what apps to expect progress/rejection from instead of having to wait around for emails :dry:
Reply 1001
Original post by TroTro
I didnt get auto-rejection. Maybe you didnt get above the pass mark? How did you find it?

I haven't taken the test yet.

Just seen a lot of people getting rejected from DB on here and was wandering if that was straight after the test or not.
If you apply twice for Credit Suisse you only do one set of tests - right?

Because it sent me a bunch of emails for both but when I did it for one it seems that it knows it for the other one.

Edit: What is "AC"?
Reply 1003
Assessment centre
What is an assessment center? Like where you interview?
Original post by Michael XYZ
What is an assessment center? Like where you interview?

Yep, interview, maybe role play, case study, presentation, more numerical/logic/verbal tests.
Reply 1006
how long are peoples covers letters generally? mine are around 400-500 ...
Reply 1007
also do UBS not require a CV or cover letter!?
Had my first look at the UBS site for the spring week. That little introductory video makes it seem so cheery and laidback and informal...

Probably couldn't be further from the truth!
Original post by eco1234
how long are peoples covers letters generally? mine are around 400-500 ...

I think the standard is 300, the whole thing should be a page inc your address, bank's address etc.

I'm guessing 500 is probably one and a half pages? That might be too long. Be concise and remember that the person reading it will be reading hundreds of others in a short space of time so keep it relevant. I always read mine from HR's/interviewers perspective, sometimes what you might think is worth mentioning isn't always something impressive in their eyes.
Reply 1010
Original post by Marc Fiorano
I think the standard is 300, the whole thing should be a page inc your address, bank's address etc.

I'm guessing 500 is probably one and a half pages? That might be too long. Be concise and remember that the person reading it will be reading hundreds of others in a short space of time so keep it relevant. I always read mine from HR's/interviewers perspective, sometimes what you might think is worth mentioning isn't always something impressive in their eyes.

hmm yeh well my first is at the 400 mark and the latest are around 450-480 -I've widened the margins and stuff. I got onto a 2 bank's insight days using this style cover letter so im hoping it's ok. have you done the ubs application? it doesnt seem to ask for a cv...
Reply 1011
do you have to put your address and the banks address on the cover letter? i spoke to hr at the bar cap event and they said its ok not to. but does that mean its ok for all banks?
Original post by eco1234
hmm yeh well my first is at the 400 mark and the latest are around 450-480 -I've widened the margins and stuff. I got onto a 2 bank's insight days using this style cover letter so im hoping it's ok. have you done the ubs application? it doesnt seem to ask for a cv...

I'm doing it right now, I'm on the last section, "Additional Info", where they ask the questions. They haven't asked for a CV, their application system is quite weird anyway but I guess that's why it has sections for your full high school education, work experience etc.

Original post by Banker91
do you have to put your address and the banks address on the cover letter? i spoke to hr at the bar cap event and they said its ok not to. but does that mean its ok for all banks?

It's just the standard format for cover letters so I follow that but if particular banks said it's okay not to then that's fine. It's just safer to do it than not to, never know how other banks might feel about it.
K, my first ever stupid question: When putting down A-Level/AS results, do you guys tend to put down a full A-Level just as an A-Level rather than putting it down as an AS level AND a full A-Level?

I have an irrational fear that a HR person will (for some reason) think that I've only done 3 AS subjects and 3 A-Levels.

Spoiler

Reply 1014
Original post by Marc Fiorano
I'm doing it right now, I'm on the last section, "Additional Info", where they ask the questions. They haven't asked for a CV, their application system is quite weird anyway but I guess that's why it has sections for your full high school education, work experience etc.

It's just the standard format for cover letters so I follow that but if particular banks said it's okay not to then that's fine. It's just safer to do it than not to, never know how other banks might feel about it.

ok i was read that they dont ask for cv you have to turn your cv and cl into the answers of to the questions. are you bullet pointing for the work experience section?
Reply 1015
have a phone interview next monday with cs. It says its competency, any kind of idea on the type of questions they ask? technical, brainteasers, motivational etc?
theres 2 interviews one with securities and one with IBD/GMSG.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
K, my first ever stupid question: When putting down A-Level/AS results, do you guys tend to put down a full A-Level just as an A-Level rather than putting it down as an AS level AND a full A-Level?

I have an irrational fear that a HR person will (for some reason) think that I've only done 3 AS subjects and 3 A-Levels.

Spoiler

Well an A-level is AS+A2 so I just put that as one.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Spoiler

I just put them down as A levels. I really don't like that page, as it is so cumbersome putting down all your GCSEs when it's written on your CV. You do have to put all your GCSEs down on most apps, don't you guys?
Original post by Ray_Han
I just put them down as A levels. I really don't like that page, as it is so cumbersome putting down all your GCSEs when it's written on your CV. You do have to put all your GCSEs down on most apps, don't you guys?

:yep: to both.
Original post by grad2014
have a phone interview next monday with cs. It says its competency, any kind of idea on the type of questions they ask? technical, brainteasers, motivational etc?
theres 2 interviews one with securities and one with IBD/GMSG.

that's fast. when did you apply?