Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)! Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the exam?
    Pshh I could do it in my sleep!
    5.56%
    Went pretty well
    11.51%
    It was okay... (maybe made silly mistakes?)
    32.54%
    24.60%
    I died.
    24.21%
    Fine I guess, couldn't careless.
    1.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Lol my first reaction was *use IBP!* but i must admit i looked at it and thought no ****ing way will it work- obviously i must have been having my own retarded moment given that it seems the favoured method by a long shot. Substitution did indeed make it a very easy integral (probs a 5 marker in c3 if they told you to use it) meaning 8 marks overall (including eliminating the constant of integration) seemed generous using a substitution.
    I used substitution at first, then thought **** it: IBP will definitely work anyway.

XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sagacious)
    Hmm, I wrote y=3x, how many marks do you think I'll lose?
    That's correct I think, then you substitute it back into the original equation to find x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1platinum)
    I think 6 marks will be just for the differentiation and then 2 answer marks for the co-ordinates. Possibly 1 mark for the x co-ordinates and one mark for the y co-ordinates as the two answer marks.
    Ah yeah, that sounds quite logical...thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnybacon)
    Ah yeah, that sounds quite logical...thanks
    Do you know how to do the vectors 6 marker?

A link to my answer was put in the first post.

ReputationRep:
    The previous question (1 mark I think) told you what the length of the side was, then you needed to use the distance between two points formula (the point B should have been in terms of u), which gave a quadratic which I divided through by 5.

ReputationRep:
    for the part of question 5 when it asked about the normal, it only asked for the gradient of the normal so you didn't actually have to figure out the equation

ReputationRep:
    for the vector question,
    for 7a I remember that it was something like P = (6,-2,1), may be wrong though
    and the other part of the question was find AP^2 and I got it equal to 20.
    then you use that value to find B and you get this once you've expanded all brackets:
    20 = 45μ^2 + 90μ +45
    so then: 45μ^2 + 90μ +25 = 0
    then divide by 5: 9μ^2 + 18μ + 5 = 0
    factorises to: (3μ +1)(3μ+5)
    so then the values for μ are -1/3 and -5/3
    then you subbed those back into the general coordinates for B

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just ran out of time unfortunately
    I reckon I've dropped 8 marks altogether (the 6 from that question and max 2 from that implicit differentiation one)...I don't think the A* boundary will be as high as 67 so it should be alright, fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lrbailey)
    for the vector question,
    for 7a I remember that it was something like P = (6,-2,1), may be wrong though
    and the other part of the question was find AP^2 and I got it equal to 20.
    then you use that value to find B and you get this once you've expanded all brackets:
    20 = 45μ^2 + 90μ +45
    so then: 45μ^2 + 90μ +25 = 0
    then divide by 5: 9μ^2 + 18μ + 5 = 0
    factorises to: (3μ +1)(3μ+5)
    so then the values for μ are -1/3 and -5/3
    then you subbed those back into the general coordinates for B
    Yeah that's what I did. Quite a nice question apart from the horrible coordinates at the end. Hopefully no slips in working there.

ReputationRep:
    Think I've got a raw mark of about 50. Lmao. Absolutely awful mistakes and time was dreadful. After getting 95 in C3 it's just ****ed me over. Wasn't difficult, just broke under the pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dangerous Theory)
    Was it exactly the same tho? And did you get 32.4 after? Cus it's not adding up, yet I swear I got that answer

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I seem to recall the second term being negative. Getting very concerned because I got 32.4 (well, 32.37... which rounds) but if I got my equation wrong and fluked the last part then bye-bye 10 marks, which I really need since I think I only got 49-55 and really need an A in this paper :/

EDIT: Yup, the second term is minus. Here is the wolfram-alpha link (all the x terms replaced with 2's, which required many brackets :/) - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...%282.5%29%29-4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark17188)
    ... just broke under the pressure.
    I'm sure you're not the only one. I know a lot of others, capable of A*'s who were distraught after the exam (due to the mistakes exam pressure can cause).

ReputationRep:
    I think it's seeing the massive mark questions that really makes you panic. When they're split it up it psychologically makes it seem easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VQG)
    This is what happened to me.. I completely broke down under pressure today. First time that's ever happened to me. I only needed 34 UMS for an A and I'm not sure if I've got that. I completely broke down in the exam for some reason, the questions looked much harder than when I looked at the paper at home. Maybe it's because I knew it was my last shot no retakes - but even then I had my last Chemistry exam yesterday and I felt okay in that. I went into the exam thinking no pressure I'll get 34 marks, but as soon as I sat down I panicked.
    Yeh exactly what I get. Just constantly think of how it's your last chance.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you've done fine. Just don't worry about it, nothing you can do about it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    I meant to write h (I did in the real exam).

Just realised 'x' was required in part b) :lol:.
    lol atleast you wrote h in the exam i ended up writing dh/dt = k(2-x) im so dumb no mark there

ReputationRep:
    was this question 8:
    Name:  math 001.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  277.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghobro)
    was this question 8:
    Name:  math 001.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  277.1 KB
    no it was 15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Lol my first reaction was *use IBP!* but i must admit i looked at it and thought no ****ing way will it work- obviously i must have been having my own retarded moment given that it seems the favoured method by a long shot. Substitution did indeed make it a very easy integral (probs a 5 marker in c3 if they told you to use it) meaning 8 marks overall (including eliminating the constant of integration) seemed generous using a substitution.
    what the **** is IBP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidMRoper)
    what the **** is IBP?
    integration by parts- he started using the abbreviation so i just continued .

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.