June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics Watch

Franklin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
Again from revision guide 'often the coolant is the same water being used in the reactor as the moderator'
It can be water or graphite depending on the type of reactor, which the question did not specify
cleverbong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by apo1324)
Did anyone get any extra time because of the mistake? I got 10 mins extra.
WOW!! You are so lucky.
By the way, no one in my class has found out that mistake.
mattyatkinson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CharleyChester)
Just so everyone knows, there was a mistake in question 3 part c. Our exam invigilator came in half way through our exam and told us
yeah it said the seperation was 0.05cm and the diagram was 0.05m
libbymimnagh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CharleyChester)
Just so everyone knows, there was a mistake in question 3 part c. Our exam invigilator came in half way through our exam and told us
Same! We got given 5 minutes of extra time because some people got really thrown by it. I didn't even notice, I used the figure in the diagram
sam1am
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by susan23)
Bt elecetrostatic replusion forces with protons though?
*******s I meant to type neutrons. Sorry
In the looney bin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The conventional current for 5 is going from left to right, I have the paper. Field coming towards you therefore downwards.
Again, why the hell have you got your paper. What is going on at your examination centre throwing out 10 minutes extra for everyone and giving you an extra copy of the paper?
susan23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ViralRiver)
My understanding is you go by conventional flow for a positive charge - in which case it would be left to right. But because it was an electron, you either reverse the current using FLHR, or use FRHR instead.
Yh I know that, but I thought in flemind left hand you look at conventional current...?? so what was your scale force then?
libbymimnagh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did anyone get any extra time because of the mistake? I got 10 mins extra.
Yep! We got five minutes! I was so relieved, I needed that to double check everything
apo1324
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by In the looney bin)
Again, why the hell have you got your paper. What is going on at your examination centre throwing out 10 minutes extra for everyone and giving you an extra copy of the paper?
Why didn't you ask for one? At the end of the exam I did exactly that. :rolleyes:
Lucy24
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Q9: Ultrasound worth 5 marks
Q10: Nuclear fission worth 7 marks.

=12%
Thank youu so annoying as i totally revised those bits the most and didnt even get to them! do you happen to know how many marks question 8 was?
Podge1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The conventional current for 5 is going from left to right, I have the paper. Field coming towards you therefore downwards.
Make MS
theoiskl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what so some people got extra time and others didnt? i certainly didnt and would kill for it! REALLY FAIR
susan23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
WHY THE **** DID U GUYS GET EXTRA TIME THAT'S SO ****ING UNFAIR...I CUD OF FINISHED A COUPLE OF QUESTIIONS I MISSED IN THAT TIME...I hate these ****ing new rules ppl just make....extra time wont fix mistakes in exams...itt's pathetic!
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Examination centers like this make the exam boundaries go up :holmes:
susan23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you guys find this easier then Janu 2011...what do you think the grade baoundaires wil be higher or lower? I hope there lower!
ViralRiver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did anyone else notice quite a large blank space below the PET block of text, and the lines for your answer? Decided to use it to draw some gamma ray photons and positron/electron collisions xD .
Kalamari Dave
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Hob)
Two mistakes? I only noticed the distance one. :confused:
Yeah, there was another one. Where it said calulate the acceleration to be about 1x10^16 which came out to 1.2x10^16,
(then work out the time as 1x10^-9)
and then the next one where it says (use this to) now calculate the velocity to be 1.2x10^7 ms^-1
You cannot get the correct speed unless you get the acceleration correct.

Usually when they give you values, its to help candidates who don't calculate it, but it'll still allow them a chance to do the second part.
This one didn't.

(I found this out because first time run through i didn't work out the accn, used the value given, and didn't get the speed it wanted)

EDIT: Point is you couldn't get the velocity they wanted using the figures they provided.
In the looney bin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
Examination centers like this make the exam boundaries go up :holmes:
Usually these accusations are fired at private schools too :holmes: but i wont go into that
libbymimnagh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theoiskl)
what so some people got extra time and others didnt? i certainly didnt and would kill for it! REALLY FAIR
that is really unfair I can't believe that every exam centre wasn't notified of the mistake and told to give extra time! That's a really unfair advantage, it has to be said... I feel like contacting the exam board and giving them a piece of my mind.
susan23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kalamari Dave)
Yeah, there was another one. Where it said calulate the acceleration to be about 1x10^16 which came out to 1.2x10^16,
(then work out the time as 1x10^-9)
and then the next one where it says (use this to) now calculate the velocity to be 1.2x10^7 ms^-1
You cannot get the correct speed unless you get the acceleration correct.

Usually when they give you values, its to help candidates who don't calculate it, but it'll still allow them a chance to do the second part.
This one didn't.

(I found this out because first time run through i didn't work out the accn, used the value given, and didn't get the speed it wanted)
What are you talking about? I got exactly 1x 10^16 m/s^-2 for accelration????
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (250)
39.06%
No - but I will (44)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise