Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Just out of curiosity why did lloris pick Tottenham over arsenal? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    We didn't bid for him, all it was is paper that was linking arsenal to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    De Gea > Szcezesny, by a lot.
    De Gea's been better this season but there's hardly anything in it, and you know it. Both good shot stoppers, both weak on crosses at times and both prone to the odd ricket. Of course Fergie paid 20m for De Gea and Wenger brought Szczesny through the youth system for nothing. Bet you reckon that you got the better deal, right? Check out transfermrkt.de for an impartial comparison on their value if you like...

(Original post by alexsong)
    He makes stupid mistakes through what I assume is complacency bought on by his over inflated ego and yeah he has good games but how many times do you see a goalie come to emirates and play out their skin and look unbeatable he's nothing special at all unless they are all top goalies as well, you can point to his age but he's barely improved in 2 years. And I agree arrogance can be an important quality for a goalie but what good does trying to mug off john terry someone whos more successful than szczesny probably ever will be in the papers do anyone except make him look like a **** and reflect badly on the club. If he wants to be arrogant and use that to help his game then that's fine but when he starts banging on in the papers like he's the dogs *******s it becomes a problem
    gave me a chuckle tbf. In fairness when he was dropped he took it well and didnt start throwing the toys around, and if you watch him in an interview he doesnt come across as arrogant or anything.

As I say Id take Adler in a hearbeat because he's the finished article while Szczesny's still wet behind the ears as keepers go. But go through the goals he's conceded and its hard to pin much blame on him for many of them so I wouldnt clasify him as a weak link considering some of the other dross in front of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    De Gea's been better this season but there's hardly anything in it
    You've changed your tune, I remember when you were claiming that Szczesny was undeniably the best young keeper in world football :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    You've changed your tune, I remember when you were claiming that Szczesny was undeniably the best young keeper in world football :rolleyes:
    Tbf, so did I at one point last season. Well, maybe not undeniably, but I definitely did think he was better than De Gea and amongst the best of the young keepers around the world.
    It wasn't an entirely uncommon opinion iirc.

ReputationRep:
    I think szchesny gets too much stick personally. In comparison to your previous keeper(you know who) he's an obvious improvement. He's young and will only get better. I think that another keeper isn't needed. Lloris would have just stunted szczesny's progress as a keeper. Someone like marchetti/schwarser/friedel would have been great but I think you might as well just stick with szczesny now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    said he was up there with De Gea and the Chelsea kid, but De Gea's had a better season this time so have to give it to him at the moment. No reason why Szczesny cant push on and be better in 2013/14 because hes at least as talented. Doesnt help Szczesny that he's playing in a considerably lower quality team though.

As I say, check out transfermarkt.de, which is usually bang on the money wrt to player valuations and both DG/Szcz are judged to be of equal value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    We didn't bid for him, all it was is paper that was linking arsenal to him
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    De Gea's been better this season but there's hardly anything in it, and you know it. Both good shot stoppers, both weak on crosses at times and both prone to the odd ricket.
    Except for the fact De Gea hasn't been 'weak on crosses' for a long time now.

'Hardly anything in it'. Rofl. De Gea was better last year and he has been vastly better this year. What else do you go on other than their performances in which De Gea, who is younger and less accustomed to the English game, has still performed much better?

Check out transfermrkt.de for an impartial comparison on their value if you like...
    Oh mother of god you actually think thats an objective comparison? That's embarrassing.

(Don't worry, i won't mention the community that want to increase De Gea and Decrease Szczesnys valuation)

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Look at our signing last summer, it was all done early Podolski announced 30th April, Giroud announced 26th of June and Santi 6th of August. Do you see any patterns here? Wenger identifies the players he needs early and does his business early. Hugo Lloris was signed on deadline day, If Wenger wanted him he would have brought him early. Use common sense mate

(Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Tbf, so did I at one point last season. Well, maybe not undeniably, but I definitely did think he was better than De Gea and amongst the best of the young keepers around the world.
    It wasn't an entirely uncommon opinion iirc.
    :ditto: Not last season (was already beginning to grow uncertain about him) but before that, and especially during his breakthrough season.

Look at our signing last summer, it was all done early Podolski announced 30th April, Giroud announced 26th of June and Santi 6th of August. Do you see any patterns here? Wenger identifies the players he needs early and does his business early. Hugo Lloris was signed on deadline day, If Wenger wanted him he would have brought him early. Use common sense mate
    To be fair, last summer was the first time in a while that that's been the case. :p: Wenger certainly does identify his targets early on, but the deals we make seem to tend to drag on and only get completed fairly late on. (Also, the 6th of August isn't exactly an early deal!)

ReputationRep:
    De Gea's been better this season but there's hardly anything in it, and you know it. Both good shot stoppers, both weak on crosses at times and both prone to the odd ricket. Of course Fergie paid 20m for De Gea and Wenger brought Szczesny through the youth system for nothing. Bet you reckon that you got the better deal, right? Check out transfermrkt.de for an impartial comparison on their value if you like...

gave me a chuckle tbf. In fairness when he was dropped he took it well and didnt start throwing the toys around, and if you watch him in an interview he doesnt come across as arrogant or anything.

As I say Id take Adler in a hearbeat because he's the finished article while Szczesny's still wet behind the ears as keepers go. But go through the goals he's conceded and its hard to pin much blame on him for many of them so I wouldnt clasify him as a weak link considering some of the other dross in front of him.
    The 2 that come to mind straight away are Blackburn and Villa days apart Tottenham 5-2 he parried it straight to **** too all individual errors and there will have been more too, he got dropped for a reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Except for the fact De Gea hasn't been 'weak on crosses' for a long time now.

'Hardly anything in it'. Rofl. De Gea was better last year and he has been vastly better this year. What else do you go on other than their performances in which De Gea, who is younger and less accustomed to the English game, has still performed much better?

Oh mother of god you actually think thats an objective comparison? That's embarrassing.

(Don't worry, i won't mention the community that want to increase De Gea and Decrease Szczesnys valuation)
    Certainly more objective than either of us...If you wanted to compare other objective stats like goals conceded this season then Szczesny certainly wouldnt come off as 'vastly' worse.

Also, De Gea was absolutely shambolic for much of last season. Seem to remember him being dropped because he was getting systemically bullied. Fair play he's improved an awful lot this season and has been better than Szczesny.

I think Szczesny's performances have been good overall, with a handful of standout performances where he's been immense(Old Trafford 2011, Anfield last season, Sunderland this season and in particular Poland vs Germany last year where he was under siege for 90 minutes). Obviously De Gea's had similar games but I really dont know what basis there is for thinking DG is so far ahead of Szczesny. Sat behind both for 45 minutes each on Sunday and I could see that anyway...

(Original post by alexsong)
    The 2 that come to mind straight away are Blackburn and Villa days apart Tottenham 5-2 he parried it straight to **** too all individual errors and there will have been more too, he got dropped for a reason
    He was poor vs Villa and got dropped pretty much straight afterwards but in recent months he's earned us 3 points like vs Sunderland. Thought it was a bit harsh myself given that Sagna/Vermaelen have been throwing wobblies all season in front of him and survived.

ReputationRep:
    Monreal, arteta, benayoun, santos and mertesacker in the past year or two have been on deadline day. I think I'm missing someone but that's clearly not the case. He identifies a target and gets the best deal for the club depending on their ability. He knows where to improve but he will not break the bank to improve it. That's what you really mean. He didn't see the point of getting a 26 year old keeper when he has a keeper from the youth academy that has come through pretty well.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity why did lloris pick Tottenham over arsenal? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Not really sure, I think partly because arsenal weren't that interested and lyon wanted 15 odd mill which is a lot for a goalie. Tottenahm was probably the only other club prepared to bid so he went there. Im pretty sure Arsenal was his preferred choice though

The thing with wenger is that he likes to wait to let the youth join the first team. I dont understand why he cant just have 18 year olds playing in the first team instead of waiting till they're like 21 and wasted so much time. Look at michachi the guy is gonna be 21 and has basically never had a proper game for us. I will be surprised if he lives up to the hype he was given as a 17/18 year old, either sell the guy or shove him in early otherwise hell become a player like nathan cleverly (23, still considered a talent but is crap)

ReputationRep:
    Certainly more objective than either of us...If you wanted to compare other objective stats like goals conceded this season then Szczesny certainly wouldnt come off as 'vastly' worse.
    Transfrmarket just really aren't dictated by performance levels as much as you dream it is. Hence why Young is worth more than Kagawa, Anderson is worth more than Carrick, etc etc etc etc.

Nice to see you ignored the comment about what the people on the site actually think he should be at too.

Also, De Gea was absolutely shambolic for much of last season.
    Rofl. Shambolic? No.
    For much of last season? No.

Media greatly exaggerated how poor his year was you obviously just follow that. He had issues settling in but after a few months he was fine, but the difference was the media circlejerk of him being unable to handle crosses never left him even when he made mistakes far less than those keepers around him.

Obviously De Gea's had similar games but I really dont know what basis there is for thinking DG is so far ahead of Szczesny.
    The fact that he constantly performs better?

ReputationRep:
    De Gea is twice the keeper Szczesny is.

(Original post by jam277)
    Monreal, arteta, benayoun, santos and mertesacker in the past year or two have been on deadline day. I think I'm missing someone but that's clearly not the case. He identifies a target and gets the best deal for the club depending on their ability. He knows where to improve but he will not break the bank to improve it. That's what you really mean. He didn't see the point of getting a 26 year old keeper when he has a keeper from the youth academy that has come through pretty well.
    Arshavin was a deadline-day transfer as well, albeit in January. Squillaci was signed pretty late as well, from what I remember.

ReputationRep:
    Squillaci's not the best example though is he ... I mean just when we thought it couldn't get any worse than Pascal Cygan

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Dami_O)
    Squillaci's not the best example though is he ... I mean just when we thought it couldn't get any worse than Pascal Cygan

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The best example of? :p: We're just talking about whether Wenger tends to make signings early or late.

ReputationRep:
    what ever happened to hleb, guy had amazing pace and I remember the midfield of him, flamini and fabregas. Not heard of him since he flopped at Birmingham

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.