Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by John Maddon)
      Most banks stipulate 320 UCAS points from top 3 A levels. So absolutely not. I think Nomura has requirements of 300 actually. However, that is minimum requirements and a lot of candidates will exceed that.

I see - and this q may be asked a million times and may bore some people to death (namely Mr Inquisitive who doesn't like to see repeated q asked ), but yeah I calculated mine to be about 520 inclusive of my other qualifications. Does the first year at uni more weighted against your A levels? I.e. should I give up hope already due to my A levels?
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      I understand where you are coming from. However, I believe securing a spring week and then possibly a fast track will change peoples decisions on what they are doing at university. I guess it depends on the situation but I think it can work both ways.
      I suppose in that sort of situation then people might like to shorten their cored to help benefit them more. This is just my opinion again but even if I were to get a fast track to summer I wouldn't reduce my degree down from the masters, I'm doing the masters to learn more and new topics in my course and if I were able to get a fast track once, then I'm sure if I applied the next year then I would have a fairly decent chance of being able to do it again. Once again just my thoughts and actions on the situation.
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stickman)
      I see - and this q may be asked a million times and may bore some people to death (namely Mr Inquisitive who doesn't like to see repeated q asked ), but yeah I calculated mine to be about 520 inclusive of my other qualifications. Does the first year at uni more weighted against your A levels? I.e. should I give up hope already due to my A levels?
      You should concentrate on your degree as getting a 2.1 or higher should put you in good stead for applications. All you need to be predicted is a 2.1 when sending off applications, so just put that to not get filtered out. I'm putting a prediction of a first as I got an average of 76 last year. Many applicants will have over the minimum 2.1 requirement though.

ReputationRep:
      mate your A levels are great don't worry about it. Relevant experience should be your focus as well its really important. They are looking for all rounders. I'm not entirely sure about this but I believe when they ask for which UCAS point band you are in they are looking at this score being calculated from only your A2's but I could be wrong.

mate your A levels are great don't worry about it. Relevant experience should be your focus as well its really important. They are looking for all rounders. I'm not entirely sure about this but I believe when they ask for which UCAS point band you are in they are looking at this score being calculated from only your A2's but I could be wrong.
        Right cheers for that mate

(Original post by MathsNerd1)
          You should concentrate on your degree as getting a 2.1 or higher should put you in good stead for applications. All you need to be predicted is a 2.1 when sending off applications, so just put that to not get filtered out. I'm putting a prediction of a first as I got an average of 76 last year. Many applicants will have over the minimum 2.1 requirement though.
          I see. Thanks

Aside to my academia, the ECs I should take part in have to be related to the companies that offer SW? I'm doing Engineering so it's unlikely I'll just bag a banking work experience during next summer..

ReputationRep:
          I suppose in that sort of situation then people might like to shorten their cored to help benefit them more. This is just my opinion again but even if I were to get a fast track to summer I wouldn't reduce my degree down from the masters, I'm doing the masters to learn more and new topics in my course and if I were able to get a fast track once, then I'm sure if I applied the next year then I would have a fairly decent chance of being able to do it again. Once again just my thoughts and actions on the situation.
          Yes again depends on circumstance and what the motivators are to undertake a masters but I agree. A fast track through to a summer internship AC at a top tier bank could motivate people away from doing a longer course at uni seeing as the conversion rate from internships to graduate jobs is high. Obviously, this is only relevant if you are doing a masters for job prospects.

In your position I appreciate it's more academic rather then just err tunnel vision on money as quickly as possible.
          • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
          I see. Thanks

Aside to my academia, the ECs I should take part in have to be related to the companies that offer SW? I'm doing Engineering so it's unlikely I'll just bag a banking work experience during next summer..
          I wouldn't say they have to be the huge name banks that you're likely to apply to, instead go for some smaller, maybe local companies. Also don't worry if you don't have actual banking experience, I've spoken to a fair few of the representatives and they don't expect us to have any at such a young age. What they do expect is for us to have a keen interest into the industry and financial sector.

Regarding EC's you should join societies when you start university, specifically the finance one, try and get positions within the society so you can actually write it down on your CV. Also joining a sports team is also advisable because you will have gained all these skills and occasions where you can then fill in the competency questions on applications, etc. Just make sure you look like a well rounded applicant :yep:

I wouldn't say they have to be the huge name banks that you're likely to apply to, instead go for some smaller, maybe local companies. Also don't worry if you don't have actual banking experience, I've spoken to a fair few of the representatives and they don't expect us to have any at such a young age. What they do expect is for us to have a keen interest into the industry and financial sector.

Regarding EC's you should join societies when you start university, specifically the finance one, try and get positions within the society so you can actually write it down on your CV. Also joining a sports team is also advisable because you will have gained all these skills and occasions where you can then fill in the competency questions on applications, etc. Just make sure you look like a well rounded applicant :yep:
            Right I understand. Cheers mate
            • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
            Right I understand. Cheers mate
            Happy to help

ReputationRep:
            Do ICAP have tests?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Anonynous)
            Do ICAP have tests?
            No tests mate, the next round is the ac.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            Which banks require a cover letter?

ReputationRep:
            First application form sent off! :woo:

Simply because it didn't require a CV/Cover Letter - aiming to do the others in October

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by itssimplyme)
            First application form sent off! :woo:

Simply because it didn't require a CV/Cover Letter - aiming to do the others in October
            For what institution is this? You prepared for the tests?

ReputationRep:
            For what institution is this? You prepared for the tests?
            BAML; they had a numerical test which I did practice for There's another opportunity to practice just before you sit the test too.

Have you sent any off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by itssimplyme)
            BAML; they had a numerical test which I did practice for There's another opportunity to practice just before you sit the test too.

Have you sent any off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Nah, I'm ****ting myself for these tests. I've completed a few applications and did some cover letters last night. I just don't want to click the send button. I don't think my numerical skills are on point.

ReputationRep:
            Nah, I'm ****ting myself for these tests. I've completed a few applications and did some cover letters last night. I just don't want to click the send button. I don't think my numerical skills are on point.
            Ah, okay! I'd just suggest practising and familiarising yourself with the format - Best of luck

ReputationRep:
            I've sat the numerical for BAML mate it's piss easy. I don't think you'll have much trouble with it since its all just mainly logic when you've got a calculator doing all the sums for you.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Bushido Brown)
            I've sat the numerical for BAML mate it's piss easy. I don't think you'll have much trouble with it since its all just mainly logic when you've got a calculator doing all the sums for you.
            It's the logic that I have a problem with. Inputting wrong numbers or not exactly understanding what the questions are asking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.