• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    You took Food tech as well?! Wow! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take Music and Child Development as well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunday_morning)
    I am on the Welsh exam board. I studied To Kill A Mockingbird and unseen poetry. I'm doing Shakespeare coursework at the moment though.

I enjoyed it, hopefully I'll watch the first 2 series soon.

I prefer literature to language, but the good thing about language is it's more about practice than revision. I think I did too many past paper questions and didn't revise enough quotes when doing TKAM.

I start on the 4th!
    How have your first few days been? I've been pretty busy sorting out my work and making sure that I have a balance homework/revision timetable.

I prefer that aspect of it, I'm looking forward to creative writing; this is something I'm best at. I constantly revised everything for English Literature and it drained me.

How are you finding Shakespeare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Textiles is one of them...
    I'm suffering with Food tech as well at the moment... D:
    The bain of my existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathalieGW)
    Hey, how do you think year 10 went? Are you looking forward to year 11?
    Hey oooo sorry for the very late reply, I've been super busy lately, and yeah it went ok I guess and umm I think I'm more looking forward to the prospect of moving on, rather than all the work haha, have you enjoyed it so far?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I was just wondering if any of you have started light revision yet, I'm in the process of making a table and I was wondering in an hour a day was too much too early :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violetvirtue)
    Hey all I was just wondering if any of you have started light revision yet, I'm in the process of making a table and I was wondering in an hour a day was too much too early :confused:
    I'd say an hour a day is a good start tbh, as long as you don't push yourself too hard this early it'll help. c: As long as you don't let it get in the way of your set homework or social life or other normal stuff then it can't do anything but help you. :P

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll start doing a little bit soon. No past papers or anything just making some notes I'll probably start properly a little before Easter.

You don't want to burn yourself out too quickly so an hour a day should be ok.

:desu:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunday_morning)
    I am on the Welsh exam board. I studied To Kill A Mockingbird and unseen poetry. I'm doing Shakespeare coursework at the moment though.
    I do welsh board too! Haven't heard of anyone else doing it lately everyone seems to be on AQA
    I got 100% on the Shakespeare controlled assessment, what text and poems are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharkfinhair)
    Hi
    Just seen timetable for 2015 exams.
    Bit confused-are there like 2 papers for physics for eg,spaced several weeks apart.
    Or will it all be one paper.
    I am doing the higher ones
    On AQA, there's 3 physics papers, but for some reason every year Units 2+3 are first and together, and then a few weeks later (my last exam actually) you do Unit 1 on its own.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    I take Music and Child Development as well..
    Eek!! So many coursework-heavy creatives! I wish you luck! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    I do welsh board too! Haven't heard of anyone else doing it lately everyone seems to be on AQA
    I got 100% on the Shakespeare controlled assessment, what text and poems are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm on WJEC too, well done on 100%, I suck at lit compared to lang! :| I still haven't finished my Shakespeare/poetry controlled assessment (I missed lessons oops), as well as my spoken language one... :/ Any tips haha? I've done the shakespeare part but I'm so bad at understanding poetry like I'd literally just been taking ideas off of bitesize and making up dumb stuff haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start making some basic notes soon, and then revise a bit around December for the mocks because I would rather see what I'm truly capable of at that time to see where I can improve....and then proper hardcore revision in the Easter period for actual exams

I think starting now isn't any harm, all this stuff about 'you'll forget it by then'...if you start now, it goes straight to your long term memory, and that'll make it so much easier later on so why not?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so yea I have a question. What can I do with these A levels?
    I'm choosing Art, English Literature, Spanish, RS and Critical Thinking. I think I want to go into Law (please don't tell me to Maths, Law or History.) What other degrees could I do with these A levels? I'll more than likely drop one of them after AS. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say an hour a day would be just find I do two hours a day on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends.

Hey oooo sorry for the very late reply, I've been super busy lately, and yeah it went ok I guess and umm I think I'm more looking forward to the prospect of moving on, rather than all the work haha, have you enjoyed it so far?
    The first two days have been good I'm just memorising my timetable and sorting out a good study timetable.

Same, the next three years are going to be hard-work!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Its_Tito)
    The bain of my existence.
    Yes. I agree with this comment.

(Original post by tryrevise)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm also on Welsh board...

(Original post by karmacrunch)
    Eek!! So many coursework-heavy creatives! I wish you luck! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathalieGW)
    I would say an hour a day would be just find I do two hours a day on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends.

The first two days have been good I'm just memorising my timetable and sorting out a good study timetable.

Same, the next three years are going to be hard-work!

That's the same amount I do but I do t know if its enough?

ReputationRep:
    I really want to start revision but I don't know where to begin or what exactly to do this early on. Usually I begin revising a month or so before. For those of you who are beginning revision what do you do and whats the most effective way to manage your time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canttellyou)
    I really want to start revision but I don't know where to begin or what exactly to do this early on. Usually I begin revising a month or so before. For those of you who are beginning revision what do you do and whats the most effective way to manage your time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the moment all I'm going to do is go over lesson work and take some notes....I think it's better to gradually build them up rather than do them all at one time? Might just be me. I might do some note cards too, I think I'll keep it about half an hour a day....maybe an hour on Saturday, once I've done my homework and things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekip)
    I'm on WJEC too, well done on 100%, I suck at lit compared to lang! :| I still haven't finished my Shakespeare/poetry controlled assessment (I missed lessons oops), as well as my spoken language one... :/ Any tips haha? I've done the shakespeare part but I'm so bad at understanding poetry like I'd literally just been taking ideas off of bitesize and making up dumb stuff haha.
    I haven't done spoken language yet, think I'm probably going to start it soon. We did the whole lit syllabus and the extended literary text controlled assessment for language in year 10. So this year we have the rest of language to do; as I've barely covered any of it I don't really know which one I'm better at . For me it really helped me to do comparative paragraphs instead of a section analysing the Shakespeare and poetry separately; this makes it flow better and if you're less confident with the poetry it makes it easier as you can work from the points you've used about Shakespeare.

For example, mine was on the treatment of women and my Shakespeare text was Romeo and Juliet. I started off looking at Romeo's idolisation of women and linked it with The Sun Rising - both use natural imagery, they both elevate the woman's position to that of a goddess etc. Comparison is worth like 50% of your mark- try to find both subtle and obvious links and always remember to write about the similarities and differences in the writer's purpose, effect on the reader, and social and historical context between the Shakespeare and whichever poem you're writing about.

When analysing the poems talk about the poem as a whole but also compare a certain line to one from the play. Here you can look at a certain word and talk about why it's important and why the writer may have chosen it specifically. Eg. Romeo says 'Juliet is the sun' using this metaphor to convey her radiant beauty, whereas Donne addresses the Sun directly saying 'if her eyes had not blinded thine' (well he says something like that ok it was a long time ago) implying that his lover's beauty transcends that of the sun and nature, elevating her to a position of idolatry.

The WJEC revision guide also includes some useful tips which I'll include here.Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099161.544882.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  192.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099271.480841.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  79.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099315.176698.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  76.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099363.809386.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  88.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410099380.428652.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  76.5 KB

Hope that was helpful! Sorry if I didn't explain it that well If you want any more advice I'll happily help, just tell me what Shakespeare text and poems you're doing and pm me

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.