The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jeez! I know that Oxford University is not in London specifically as it is in Oxfordshire to be exact...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PaulHugh
That is correct, however Oxford university is colloquially referred to as Oxford :biggrin:

It's just a bit misleading :wink:
Original post by Chemister
It's just a bit misleading :wink:

It's so much easier to leave out the university bit, I suppose 'uni' works.

Like saying " I want to study Maths at Oxford uni" and not "I want to study Maths at Cambridge" ?
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
Jeez! I know that Oxford University is not in London specifically as it is in Oxfordshire to be exact...

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be exact it is in central Oxfordshire... :yes:
Original post by Bullscheiße
To be exact it is in central Oxfordshire... :yes:

I was close enough! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like saying " I want to study Maths at Oxford uni" and not "I want to study Maths at Cambridge" ?

Just say that you went to Oxford to sound smart, don't say that you went to the university :wink:
Just say that you went to Oxford to sound smart, don't say that you went to the university :wink:

Yes! Exactly! Everyone knows about Oxford University...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
It's not very misleading to be honest :sadnod:, how did you not know about Oxford before :giggle:

I think I first heard of Oxford in a Geography lesson.

We were looking at a map of the united kingdom; which listed all the counties and county towns.

I found out that Oxford is the county town (city) of Oxfordshire.

I researched it and found out that Oxford university was situated in Oxford. I also found out about Oxford Brooke's university.

It may have been misleading to me before I had knowledge Oxfordshire (When I was about 10).

Putting uni on the end makes it easier for me. I don't know why, it just sounds more complete :biggrin:

Yes. To me that makes things a lot easier :smile:
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
I was close enough! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, you were :yy:

We were looking at a map of the united kingdom; which listed all the counties and county towns.

I researched it and found out that Oxford university was situated in Oxford. I also found out about Oxford Brooke's university.

It may have been misleading to me before I had knowledge Oxfordshire (When I was about 10).

Putting uni on the end makes it easier for me. I don't know why, it just sounds more complete :biggrin:

I was meant to say and not Oxford*
Original post by Mr...
D'you know what university you want to go to and what you want to study there :curious:

Not sure about universities but maybe Chemistry or Pharmacy or even geology, something you could do with decent A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths hopefully... You?

On an unrelated note, in year 1, we were looking at maps of Britain and then I became obsessed with the 'Sh..land Islands', I didn't know how to pronounce it! :tongue:
I was meant to say and not Oxford*

Haha I know what you meant.

I was just being overly pedantic.
Original post by Mr...
Oxford,Durham, UCL and LSE for Law with French Law :smile:

Geology sounds really interesting :yep:

You want to be a lawyer then? Explains why you're so argumentative! :tongue:
Ambitious choices though...
On an unrelated note, in year 1, we were looking at maps of Britain and then I became obsessed with the 'Sh..land Islands', I didn't know how to pronounce it! :tongue:

In year one!

Wouldn't someone from the Shetland Islands pronounce like how they would pronounce sh**land? :giggle:
In year one!

Wouldn't someone from the Shetland Islands pronounce like how they would pronounce sh**land? :giggle:

Yep, year 1, I'm map obsessed! :biggrin:
I think they would, might have to meet someone from there someday. I'd think their accent is weird and they'd think the same as me...
Original post by Mr...
D'you know what university you want to go to and what you want to study there :curious:

A Russell group university would be nice.
I would like to do a degree in Chemical Engineering (MSc) at an accredited chem-eng uni (most of the accredited ones are Russell group unis anyway).

How about yourself?
Original post by Mr...
Specifically a EU/Corporate Barrister :smile: I like to call myself am "Active Debator :mmm:" I think I hopefully get into Oxford if I work hard enough :smile:

I have a long list of jobs I wouldn't mind doing...
Accountant
Chemist
Pharmacist
Scientist
Meteorogist
Teacher/Lecturer
Oil finder/energy engineer
Consultant/manager
Haha I know what you meant.

I was just being overly pedantic.

As you tend to be :P
Original post by Mr...
I wouldn't mind being a Teacher/Lecturer or an Author but if I was a teacher I would study English with French :yep:

The last four jobs on your list sound really fascinating :smile:. Especially meteorology... :yes:

Meteorology just sounds fun because you get to use all the weather buzzwords...

Latest